.22 ammo - Page 6 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > PPK/S .22LR, New Production by Umarex, 2013 or later

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2018, 02:41 PM   #51

Klingon .22
I'm new to this forum, a new shooter, and a new user of a PPK/S .22. I've heard that CCI Mini Mags do well in this pistol because of the need for higher velocity rounds. However, they are hollow point, or at least the ones that my local gun shops sell. My question is, does anyone have experience with this particular ammo? Do they make better high velocity rounds without hollow point? Does it matter in this gun? Thanks in advance for any tips, hints, etc.
Klingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 11-11-2018, 12:51 PM   #52

KDKSAIL .22
This response is a bit late in coming but....

In terms of practical performance, there is NO difference between CCI Mini Mag .22LR, high velocity, solid point or hollow point ammo. BOTH will cycle through most .22 LR semi-automatic pistols and rifles equally well....the Walther/Umarex PPK/S .22 LR included...with remarkably few '..failures..' per thousand (failures-to-fire, failures-to-feed and especially failures-to-eject). CCI Mini Mags are far and away the best and most reliable .22LR high velocity ammo on the market.
KDKSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:46 AM   #53

Wildtoad .22
I’ve been running both of those mentioned with darn few issues. Have had good luck with the Blazer branded CCI’s as well.

Walther (2009) PPK .380, (2013) PPK/S .22, Ruger (2017) LCP .380, Henry (2017) Mares Leg .22
Wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2018, 11:39 AM   #54

KDKSAIL .22
If there is one particular .22LR ammo that I would recommend that you ***NOT*** use in your Walther/Umarex (or any other .22 LR semi-auto) it would be *** AMRSCOR Precision 36 gr. High Velocity Hollow Points ***-- https://tinyurl.com/y9fp8r52

On numerous occasions I've experienced catastrophic '..blow outs..' at or near the rim of the cartridges, with flying bits of brass (turns out wearing good eye protection really is good advice) and damage to the firing mechanisms of three (3) different Walther/Umarex PPK/S...as well as a Sig Sauer Mosquito and Ruger SR22. That's three different semi-auto pistols on numerous occasions....using the same ARMSCOR Precision .22LR HVHP ammo.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:21 PM   #55

Austin Powers .22
ARMSCOR ammo is defective garbage regardless of the caliber, it's just that in .22LR rim separation is more common whereas in cenerfire ammo split cases are more common.

I suspect the reason is cheap brass or inconsistent loading due to use of cheap powder of irregular consistency. Either way, spend a little extra for ammo that doesn't have a reputation for catastrophic failure.
I've entrusted my life to a S&W PPK/S-1, it may not be able to stop the illusive 7ft/300Lbs+ Meth Head wearing 5 layers of denim and wielding a car door as a shield, but I'm fairly certain I can outrun such a beast, especially after dumping 7 rounds of .380 ACP into him.
Austin Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:01 AM   #56

volosong .22
Picked up a PPK/S 22 yesterday and took it to the range today with my not-so-new but never fired CCP. First two magazines with Remington Golden Bullet High Velocity, 40 grain, 1255 fps at muzzle, plated lead round nose. All twenty rounds cycled perfectly. No issues.

Then I reloaded the two magazines and stepped up to the line. Every single round in the first magazine was FTE. "What the???", I thought. "Maybe it's the magazine. Don't know how because it's brand new." Tried the other magazine and I quit after the first three rounds that were also FTE.

"Has to be the ammunition." Then I realized that I loaded the first two magazines at home with the Remington Golden Bullet, and the next two magazines at the range with ammunition that I was using in my Single Six revolver. When I reloaded with Remington in the two magazines, no problems.

The ammunition that did not work, even once, was Winchester Super X, 40 grain, 1300 fps, Super Speed, Round Nose Copper Plated. Even though it says "Super Speed", it does NOT say "High Velocity". These Winchester rounds come in the red plastic box similar to the CCI boxes. I won't be purchasing any more of those rounds again, even though they work find in all my other 22s.
volosong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:40 AM   #57

RJWest .22
I've had my Walther PPk/s 22 for several years and the only ammo that I can expect to get 100% reliability is Remington Thunderbolt 22's and CCI Stinger. (although I did see that part in the owner's manual that Walther does not recommend using Stinger's or similar hyper velocity ammo, they work)

EVERY bulk ammo I've tried from Winchester, Federal, Aguila, Etc. turned my PPK/s into a single shot pistol...

My LGS has a bunch of those 300 round bulk CCI Mini Mags with that "Choot 'em" guy's image on the box... 36gr High velocity Hollow points... I've heard that those also run very well in this gun but I haven't tried them and trying to find CCI mini Mag 40gr is nearly impossible in my area. The only CCI mini mags I can find are 36gr hollow points varmint loads...

Can anyone say if the 300 bulk boxes of that CCI mini mag Alligator guy's ammo runs well in these guns?
RJWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:57 AM   #58

MoonWolf .22
I've used the bulk pack mini-mags and the boxed mini-mags. They appear to be the same and both function well.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:02 PM   #59

KDKSAIL .22
As noted above....the CCI '..Troy Landry--CHOOT EM..' ammo is the SAME as any CCI Mini Mag...even down to the 100 round plastic 'separator' packaging. The 375 round '..CHOOT EM..' box is the same CCI Mini Mag...but in a conventional '..bulk pack..' without separators.

After firing tens-of-thousands of CCI Mini Mags...through a broad cross section of .22 LR pistols....I can probably count the number of any sort of '..failures..' experience on the fingers of one hand....with fingers left over on the other to scratch my head and wonder why CCI Mini Mags are so much better and more reliable than EVERYTHING else ??
Old 03-07-2019, 10:21 PM   #60

volosong .22
Four magazines, (40 rounds), today of those "pretty" CCI polymer-coated red, white, and blue bullets that were for sale last summer as a Fourth of July special/promo. No problems at all. They come in a bulk-box of 300 with a plastic window so you can see the multi-colored bullets. The brass is really nice too. Feels like they have some type of coating too.

Box says, "CCI 22 Long Rifle, 40 grain, 1235 fps, target, polymer-coated bullet".

Last edited by volosong; 03-07-2019 at 10:25 PM.
volosong is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > PPK/S .22LR, New Production by Umarex, 2013 or later

Search tags for this page

.22lr ammo 2014 gougers

22 ammo

22 ammo manufactures exporting

22 ammo shortage

22 shells shortage

grice 22 ammo

grice 22 shells

ppk 22 ammo

ppks 22 ammo

walther ppk s 22lr making it more ammo frendly 2014

walther ppk/s 22 bullets shells not clearing

what happened to all the 22 hells

Click on a term to search for related topics.