Brand new PPK/S .22LR, my range report - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > PPK/S .22LR, New Production by Umarex, 2013 or later

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013, 09:49 PM  

bdmd .22
Brand new PPK/S .22LR, my range report

I will preface this post by stating up front that, while I have hunted my entire life and am very comfortable with rifles and shotguns, I am a relative novice to handguns. However, I was bitten by the handgun bug about 8 months ago, and in that time I have acquired several new firearms. One of these is a brand new PPK/S .22LR in black, which I got just this week. It came new in the case, with one magazine. This is the "new" 22LR version that was recently released. Keep in mind that I have no prior experience with, or exposure to, other Walther PPK's or other Walther handguns, so I am not able to compare this to earlier models (although I have read a lot on this forum about the older models vs. this new version).

On initial inspection, the gun felt great in my hand--it seemed to be a perfect fit, and the weight was nice, substantial but not too heavy, also not overly light. Once I had it home, I disassembled it with no difficulty. I then looked it over carefully to make sure it did not have an inordinate amount of oil/lube. I also ran a patch through the bore, followed by several to dry it. I did have a little trouble getting the slide to move forward after putting it back on, but I think that was because I was not pressing down hard enough after fully retracting it.

Today, I took it to my homemade range area and fired 60 rounds of CCI mini mag 22LR HP through it. I have included pics of three targets here. Target 1 is the first target, target 2 was halfway through, and target 3 is the last target. On target 1, you will see some blacked out areas up high. Those are when I was trying to shoot double action. I am by no means a marksman. I fired all of these from 21 feet away from the target. (I will say that I have a S&W M&P in .40s&w, in the full size version, and I consistently put 3 shot groups inside the 10-ring standing 21 feet away with that firearm, which is satisfactory for me--so that would be the benchmark to meet for me with this new handgun). Also, I have never taken a proficiency course for handguns, although that is on my short "to do" list. I am not in law enforcement, and in Georgia proficiency training and testing is not a requirement for handgun ownership or for a CC permit.

The negatives: First, and to me foremost, the double action trigger pull on this is ridiculously heavy. I literally could not hardly pull the trigger to fire with one finger initially, and after a few tries my finger was done and I could not pull the trigger on DA at all. There is no way that I could fire this gun DA in a safe manner, much less have any chance of hitting what I was aiming at. This one is on me-- I did not dry-fire it in the shop, nor did I look at the specs to see what the DA trigger pull is rated at (17.5 by the way, which is relatively high, but it feels like 30#). I would not carry a .22 for CC, but if I did, this one would have to stay cocked and ready to fire, which means the safety would have to be off. At least I would not have to worry about an accidental trigger pull with it set so heavy. Second, the sights definitely have room for improvement. The front sight got lost on the target, and it was just difficult to consistently get a good sight picture. I had such a hard time with it that I will not make any windage or elevation adjustments until I am sure that I am getting a consistently reliable sight picture. The only other thing that seems a little anxiety provoking to me is that if you move the safety to the "safe" position from "fire" while loaded and cocked, the hammer drops/disengages like it is firing. I know that is how it is supposed to function, but in my mind seeing that hammer drop should equal "bang."

The positives: The gun feels great in my hand, it seems like a perfect size and weight for me. Also, I had only 1 FTF/FTE, and that was on the first round of the first magazine, because I did not let the slide move forward freely. After that, I had zero FTF/FTE's. Recoil was minimal, as would be expected with a .22, but I felt like I could shoot it all day with no fatigue (on SA that is). The single action trigger pull seems good to me, and it was smooth. With some sights that show up better, I would feel confident using this on SA, in contrast to DA. I wish there was a way to keep it on safety though while in SA mode. The operation of the gun is very intuitive and uncomplicated.

If the DA trigger pull could be adjusted down to a comfortable, usable level, and if the sights could be improved, I think I would enjoy shooting this gun on a regular basis. I think I can work on the sights, but I don't know if this trigger can be adjusted. If not, I don't think I would ever fire this in DA. Also, I was thinking that this could be a trainer for my wife, but there is no way she could fire it in DA either.

I hope someone finds this useful. I look forward to hearing from others who have given this one a try, especially if you were able to do anything about the DA trigger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg target 1 ppks 22lr.jpg (68.6 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg target 2 ppks 22lr.jpg (57.1 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg target 3 ppks 22lr.jpg (64.8 KB, 70 views)
Old 03-24-2013, 10:19 PM  
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
Check:https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p...pk-s-22lr.html and a few with similar titles bdmd.

All of us feel the DA is impossible to use.
As to the sights you are 100% on the mark, as is, they are next to impossible to use. I painted the rear blade of the front sight with white out and the difference is huge! Even though you can decock your weapon with the safety, many of us would rather drop the safety with our thumb on the hammer and gently bring the hammer forward...I think it is better in the long run for the pistol.

I bought the 22PPK/S for my wife to use as a range gun as she basically now has my Manurhin PPK/S 9mm kurz as "her" EDC, and I felt it would be a good practice pistol, but until I'm more certain of it, it remains "my little secret".

Remember a rimfire round needs a lot of force to go bang so I'm not sure how much lighter we will be able to get the DA.

Be very very careful, Walther hand guns are highly addictive, most folks can't stop at one, as you'll see below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Gang a.jpg (46.3 KB, 68 views)
GeoNole94 likes this.

Last edited by olsoul; 03-25-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:32 PM  
Banned

JW 759 .22
I've not encountered a PP series that could not be fired for the first shot in DA (whether German or French or IA or SW) that was alarming. I think 12 lbs is around the force required to do that. After that first DA it is all SA with 3 lbs or there unless the PP is going DA after the first shot skipping the SA where a serious problem with the pistol is now discovered. It can shoot DA from the first shot but must go SA for following shots.

DA initial shot from any Walther type PP series is about 12 lbs and no more. Now you are talking DA in 20 and above lbs and I have not encountered that in any German or French or IA or SW PP series in all calibers from .22 to .380.

Last edited by searcher451; 03-24-2013 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Bandwidth

Old 03-24-2013, 10:39 PM  
Banned

JW 759 .22
So you got the new .22 just released? I can't speak to the new PPK/S "just released" "in Black" by whoever. Is this the potmetal Germany replacement for PP series we've been buying from WWII to 1999 or so?
I am out of my league talking about the "new" PP series in .22 offered for a lot less than $1200 used.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:12 PM  

bdmd .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW 759 View Post
So you got the new .22 just released? I can't speak to the new PPK/S "just released" "in Black" by whoever. Is this the potmetal Germany replacement for PP series we've been buying from WWII to 1999 or so?
I am out of my league talking about the "new" PP series in .22 offered for a lot less than $1200 used.
JW 759,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Yes, this is the newest (as in late 2012, early 2013 production), already much maligned, version of the PPK/S .22LR, apparently in "potmetal" as you refer to it. Because I did not purchase it as a high-value collectible, and because I don't imagine that I will be around in 100 more years to see it corrode and turn to dust, the "potmetal" concern did not scare me off. You can find the info on this version on the waltherarms website, [URL="http://www.waltherarms.com/products/handguns/ppks-22/"]. And my version is "black," not blued, and not stainless/nickel. They offer this version only in black or stainless. I would love to one day own a blued, early "non potmetal" version as a collectible, but I picked this up out of curiosity as much as for any other reason.

And you are obviously correct-- when initially firing when uncocked, it is double action; each fire thereafter is single action, unless the hammer is decocked again. I don't currently have any way to measure the trigger pull on DA, but I would venture that it is well over 12 pounds, as I could barely squeeze the trigger far enough to get it to fire. Others with this new model/version have reported similarly. One the other hand, the SA as you mention is very light, clean, and crisp. The spec sheet on the website lists DA at 17.5lbs, and SA at 6.6lbs for this version. At least now I know what 17.5lbs of trigger pull is supposed to feel like!
Old 03-24-2013, 11:14 PM  
DrE

DrE .22
DA is 'heavy' but manageable if practiced. Knowing the first round on target is the one to count, it would be prudent to present and fire the weapon DA as range drill.

My SO has done this repeatedly and can put eight rounds in the "7-ring" now, first one DA, the rest of the mag (and a second mag) right behind. It's all about the practice.

Really.
Former USAF Phlyin' Photog
NRA Member

“The brave ones shot bullets, the crazy ones shot film”---Joe Longo, WW-II Combat Cameraman

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not." --- Thomas Jefferson.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." ---Claire Wolfe
Old 03-24-2013, 11:19 PM  
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW 759 View Post
So you got the new .22 just released?
Yes these are the "new" 22 LR PPK/S (BD year). And yes the DA pull is well past the 20 lb range. I'm only able to pull the DA with 2 fingers on the trigger. SA trigger is very smooth and easy.

It seems to be accurate enough at first blush..(less then 200 rounds through mine) verdict is still out on quality and wearability (time will tell) but the DA is a huge negative for this weapon.

This is a copy of the note sent to Walther CS:

I purchased the new PPK/S 22 LR and have found the DA is impossible to use with one finger.
I have thoroughly cleaned and properly lubed the weapon and while I've only fired less then 200 rounds the action in DA hasn't lightened up at all. In fact, as hard as the pull is, it is dangerous to try to fire it in DA.
Is there anything I can do to resolve this issue?

Last edited by olsoul; 03-24-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:35 PM  

bdmd .22
I will be interested to find out what you hear from them on that, Olsoul. In the meantime, I guess I will start either: 1) practicing DA at the range with 2 fingers on the trigger, and/or 2) begin some kind of "trigger finger strengthening regimen" until DA becomes manageable for me And I always thought I had strong hands... I literally could not squeeze it far enough for it to fire with one finger.

Last edited by bdmd; 03-24-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:13 AM  
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmd View Post
I will be interested to find out what you hear from them on that, Olsoul. In the meantime, I guess I will start either: 1) practicing DA at the range with 2 fingers on the trigger, and/or 2) begin some kind of "trigger finger strengthening regimen" until DA becomes manageable for me And I always thought I had strong hands... I literally could not squeeze it far enough for it to fire with one finger.
My feeling is that at the present pull weight, no matter how strong your finger is that DA is way too dangerous to use. When the trigger finally breaks that muzzle could be aimed anywhere.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:39 PM  

1917-1911M .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by olsoul View Post
Yes these are the "new" 22 LR PPK/S (BD year). And yes the DA pull is well past the 40 lb range.
There fixed. I tried two, DA got to the painful part regarding my finger and I was afraid I was going to break something inside. This will be a good question to ask Mark on the town hall meeting tomorrow night at 8 central.

Good report bdmd. I expect your pistol needs a little breaking in and short pistols are always much more difficult to shoot accurately than long ones. Practice will improve that. I rarely shoot DA....except with my DAO pistols and some revolvers. M1911

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > PPK/S .22LR, New Production by Umarex, 2013 or later

Search tags for this page
new walther ppk 22 review
ppks 22 review
walther ppk .22 review

walther ppk 22 review

walther ppk 22lr review

walther ppk s 22 review

walther ppk/s .22 review

walther ppk/s 22 review

walther ppk/s 22lr

walther ppk/s 22lr review

walther ppks 22 review
walther ppks 22lr
Click on a term to search for related topics.