PPK/S Trigger Guard Question - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > PPK/S .22LR, New Production by Umarex, 2013 or later

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2018, 10:04 PM   #1

Tomflet .22
PPK/S Trigger Guard Question

Just bought a new PPK/S in 22lr and had a questions about the trigger guard.

Is it supposed to lock in when put back after reassembly?

Doesn't seem like I should be able to pull the trigger guard down anytime.
Tomflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 11-02-2018, 11:17 PM   #2

Redcat94 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomflet View Post
Is it supposed to lock in when put back after reassembly?
No it doesn't.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:35 AM   #3

Kar98 .22
The trigger guard is held in place by its spring. No latching or locking mechanism.
Kar98 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2018, 01:23 PM   #4

Wildtoad .22
No. Pulling it down is step one to take it down. One of the easiest pistols to field strip for cleaning.

Do yourself a favor. Take it apart and remove the spring and put it back together ( without the spring). Go watch a football game and rack the slide back and forth several hundreds of times. This will help break it in. Take it back apart and put the spring back in. While apart you will notice some wear marks on the slide and frame where they rub. Next use good ammo such as CCI MiniMags or Remington Golden Bullets.

Walther (2009) PPK .380, (2013) PPK/S .22, Ruger (2017) LCP .380, Henry (2017) Mares Leg .22

Last edited by Wildtoad; 11-03-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:27 PM   #5

KDKSAIL .22
As noted above....there is NO locking or latching mechanism for the pivoting trigger guard on the pistol. The tension of the trigger guard pivot spring is sufficient to keep it in place.

And...as noted above....like many .22 semi-auto pistols, the PPK/S will be '..ammo sensitive..'...with failures-to-eject the most common problem. Use high velocity ammo--CCI Mini Mags (solid or hollow points) Remington Golden Bullets (solid or hollow point) Aguilla Super Extra....will all work just fine (or at least with a minimum of failures). I've personally had problems with any of the Winchester X (some others have not) and ALL of the Federal .22LR ammos. Now that it's more readily accessible, at reasonable prices....use CCI Mini Mags. They'll run smoothly in almost everything with scarcely any 'failures' of any kind. Remington Golden Bullets are almost as good.

If you've some old .22 LR ammo that you just want to '..use up..'...be prepared for the resultant 'failures' you'll surely experience. Don't blame the PPK/S.
KDKSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:09 PM   #6

Austin Powers .22
Has the quality of Remington Golden Bullet ammo improved in recent years?

I ask because during a trip to the range a few months ago, Golden Bullets gave me nothing but trouble. I experienced multiple FTEs and after a couple magazines I experienced a stuck case which cut my trip short. When I got home with it I found that the case was stuck in there really tight and required substantial force (i.e. all of my arm strength, and I lift by the way) to free it from the chamber. Upon closer inspection of the case, the brass appeared to have been deformed somehow, with the rim bent outward where the extractor hook caught it, and dented inward where the hammer had struck it.
Now granted this ammo was a good 3 years old, but it had been stored properly, and even if it wasn't, that wouldn't account for the case getting stuck, much less the brass deforming terribly.

Furthermore, it isn't the gun itself because it functioned flawlessly both before and afterwards with CCI Mini Mag.
I've entrusted my life to a S&W PPK/S-1, it may not be able to stop the illusive 7ft/300Lbs+ Meth Head wearing 5 layers of denim and wielding a car door as a shield, but I'm fairly certain I can outrun such a beast, especially after dumping 7 rounds of .380 ACP into him.
Austin Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:12 PM   #7

Wildtoad .22
I’ve had few issues with GB’s and I’ve shot thousands of them over the past two years. Had a couple with CCI’s as well. As mine are simply plinkers a few every now and then is OK.

Walther (2009) PPK .380, (2013) PPK/S .22, Ruger (2017) LCP .380, Henry (2017) Mares Leg .22
Wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:26 PM   #8

KDKSAIL .22
>>>...Has the quality of Remington Golden Bullet ammo improved in recent years?...<<<

Can't say beyond the 4-5 years that I've been using them in my Walther/Umarex PPK/S, Sig Sauer Mosquito(both tending to be '..ammo-fussy..') and Ruger SR22. They've performed remarkably well, with relatively few failures. The exception to this was a batch from a 1,400 round Remington Golden Bullet '..Bucket-of-Bullets..', which for a wide assortment of reasons, proved to be no '..bargain..' at all.

I usually purchase the 525 round 'bulk-pack' boxes and these have run through all of the above listed semi-auto pistols just fine. NO .22LR ammo goes through semi-auto .22's as well and with as few 'failures' as CCI Mini-Mags...but so far, Remington Golden Bullets (both solid & hollow point) are the closest to CCI's remarkable reliability and performance.
KDKSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > PPK/S .22LR, New Production by Umarex, 2013 or later