• 2 Post By MGMike
  • 2 Post By MGMike
  • 1 Post By MGMike
  • 1 Post By harleypower69

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2016, 09:50 AM   #1

harleypower69 .22
TPH Recoil spring removal

I would like to replace the recoil spring on my TPH. How do I remove and replace it, please? It does not apparently just slide off?

Thank-you all for your help in getting this to run reliably,

Chris
harleypower69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-08-2016, 05:58 PM   #2
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Torque the recoil spring in the opposite direction from which its coils are wound in order to expand the rearmost coil which is gripping the barrel. The spring should then slide off.

However, if your TPH is not running reliably, it is unlikely that a new recoil spring will fix it.

M
WA9BYR and pilkguns like this.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:36 PM   #3

harleypower69 .22
I actually found a gem of a book online via Google Books. Cost me about 20 bucks.

It is called - Automatic Pistols Assembly/Disassembly – J B Wood

Shows excellent detail strip procedure.

@MGMike - thank-you for sharing your knowledge re: the recoil spring. The TPH is an early Interarms (Alex, VA) and I don't know the round count, found it on GB. It worked reasonably well until it got dirty (to be expected at about 150 rounds). I polished feed ramp and rails and have the heavy recoil spring and hammer spring from Wolfe to install. I agree that parts changing generally won't make a difference without a gunsmith massaging things yet this current spring is less than vigorous. The hammer spring will make for more assured ignition at the cost of worse trigger pull, a trade off I am willing to accept. I also found a 98 dollar parts kit on Ebay with lots of spares which is heartening (seller has more of them).

Sincere thanks,

Chris

Old 02-08-2016, 07:26 PM   #4
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
I have a feeling we are going to hear more from you.

M
halfmoonclip and pilkguns like this.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:40 AM   #5

harleypower69 .22
Thumbs up Re: assistance with TPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
I have a feeling we are going to hear more from you.

M
MGMike,

Yes, I suppose I might pose further questions if need be and hopefully receive helpful responses. I am early retired by choice and curious by nature. I possess lots of tools from my years of riding and repairing my vintage motorcycles. If things don't run right then I like to take a look and sort it out. I have worked on numerous guns and now that I found this source book with photos of TPH detail stripping this should be fun for me. Big difference when time is not of the essence and no shop rates apply.
Any gun that is new to me I will clean, lube and then shoot to point of failure. The TPH ran pretty well for about 150 rounds on CCI and Winchester 40 gr. I did have a few light strikes (3) so thought changing out hammer spring made sense. If you have different perspective on this spring changing business I'd be grateful to learn from your experience. This is only the 2nd TPH I have owned and the first one that I have detailed.
If you were just making a friendly observation that, "I'll be back" then I bet you are correct sir.

Chris
Old 02-09-2016, 10:02 AM   #6
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleypower69 View Post
...If you have different perspective on this spring changing business I'd be grateful to learn from your experience. ...
If you were just making a friendly observation that, "I'll be back" then I bet you are correct sir.
Chris, we would be delighted to have you back, but that was not the sense of my comment. Rather, that there are so many frustrating problems with USA-made TPHs that changing springs is not likely to produce lasting satisfaction.

M
harleypower69 likes this.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:31 PM   #7

harleypower69 .22
MGMike,

I read as much as I could about the QC concerns with these TPH .22. Despite the alleged cachet of these guns within the spy community I could not consider any rimfire reliable enough for a protective role. I really enjoyed the one I owned in the late 1980's but that one I purchased new and it ran flawlessly even on standard velocity Winchester 40 gr.
This one will just be a labor of love hopefully that I'll smooth out with stones, polish and dremel. It groups 2 inches at 10 yards but I need to drift the rear sight to move the group right. Breech face has lots of dry fire / empty chamber signs. Otherwise things look alright though I note the barrel is not perfectly centered within the slide though it does not touch (front view).
I do think having the spare parts kit I found may provide a safe approach to tinkering as some of these parts are tiny. I have a range day again on Thursday over at Ben Avery Range so we'll see how spring changes affect reliable ignition once it gets dirty.

Sincere thanks for your help and welcoming words. This is a nice forum and I am enjoying my time here.

Much Respect,

Chris
searcher451 likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series