• 1 Post By Idaho
  • 1 Post By Milspec
  • 1 Post By searcher451
  • 2 Post By Milspec
  • 1 Post By Idaho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2016, 08:50 PM   #1

Idaho .22
New to me PP. Hammer follows slide issue. (RSHA/SS)

A local pawn shop had this PP on display a few weeks ago for $299. If I am reading the serial number information correctly I believe it is a 1940 model. The trigger action is very smooth, especially in the single action mode. The bore seemed ok, as well as the external surfaces. There is a bit of pitting up front by the muzzle on one side. The target photograph is the first magazine I fired from this pistol. I used a center hold, a six o'clock hold put the rounds right in the center on subsequent magazines. The distance was seven yards, two hand hold, resting on my range bag. The one issue I encountered was the hammer moving forward with the slide. This did not happen with the first two magazines. But, it got worse with each additional magazine fired. On the last magazine every single shot saw the hammer move forward. I went through the trouble shooting tips listed in the sticky post, ie... pushing cocked hammer forward, snap cycling slide. No problems passing these test. At this time I believe I tightened the grip screw too much after cleaning the gun before my first range session. The issue seems to have the characteristics of a heat related progressive expansion problem. I loosened the screw and I'll report back after my next range session. If you think I'm barking up the wrong tree, I'd sure like to hear your thoughts regarding this issue. Otherwise the gun ran like a champ. No failures to feed or extract using seven different types of .32 ACP ammo with the original magazine and a new nickel Mec Gar magazine. I have enjoyed shooting the little .32 ACP cartridge for many years. While I spend time shooting big bore guns I always bring a .22 or .32 with me wind down with. I own/owned a number of .32's over the years, including: a 1974 PP, Sig P230, CZ83, SS PPK/s, CZ vz61, three Kel Tec P32's (as well as three SS TPH .22's). I have read hundreds of post on this site over the past couple of weeks. You folks have a wealth of very interesting information here. Thank you. Photos...

searcher451 likes this.

Last edited by Idaho; 02-08-2016 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Spelling
Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-07-2016, 09:48 PM   #2
Supporting Member

Milspec .38
Congratulations! You have a rare and valuable RSHA/SS PP. Do you have either of the original matching serial numbered magazines?

Have you read this link?: https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/f...ay-cocked.html
searcher451 likes this.

Last edited by Milspec; 02-08-2016 at 01:32 AM.
Milspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:43 AM   #3

Idaho .22
Hi Mr. Milspec,

Thank you for the information. How were you able to determine the historical aspect for this pistol? It just seems like a normal PP to me. I did check the one magazine it sold with. The serial number is close, but not matching (203409P gun vs 203410P for the magazine). Here is a photograph... Without your prompt I would never have noticed the number. I had to angle my flashlight beam onto it to bring up the detail. I did read through the article, and I ran a few of the test.

Last edited by Idaho; 02-08-2016 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Added info.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:55 AM   #4
Supporting Member

Milspec .38
Basically, the serial number on the slide is in the RSHA/SS range. I'll post more info in the morning but this thread may help in the meantime: https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p...ide-value.html
Old 02-08-2016, 02:03 AM   #5

Idaho .22
I really appreciate the information. I have a big grin on my face
Old 02-08-2016, 10:30 AM   #6
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
At the price you paid for it, I don't blame you.
Vandal320 likes this.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:55 PM   #7
Supporting Member

Milspec .38
The book: SS Walther PP/PPK Identification and Documents Gold Edition, by Steven J. Stepan, describes the RSHA/SS PP and PPK variations in detail. It also contains historical documents and a PP and PPK serial number listing. Your PP serial number 203409P falls between 203292P and 203537P in the list.

Steve is a member of this forum (Tepo911). You can contact him by PM or buy his book on Ebay: SS Walther PP PPK Black Book Gold Edition | eBay

Your PP had the serial number added to the right slide flat well before Walther began adding the slide number to all PP's. This is an RSHA/SS characteristic and how I identified it. Your magazine is the correct SS type and just one digit off from your PP.

Here's another link you may find interesting: https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p...tml#post422401

Here are some contacts for having your PP repaired:

Gun Parts Sales & Repairs
Tom Heller (Luger Doc)
P O Box 398
St Charles MO 63302
Tel 636-447-3006
Email: [email protected]

M&M Gunsmithing
M&M Gunsmithing
2423 Carter Grove Rd
Hazel Green Al. 35750
571-276-7676
E-mail [email protected]
E-mail [email protected]

Earl's Repair Service:

Walther Firearms and Accessories, Earl's Repair Service Inc. - Home Page
searcher451 and Vandal320 like this.

Last edited by Milspec; 02-08-2016 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Added link
Milspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:02 PM   #8

Idaho .22
Thank you for the additional information! I just ordered a copy of the book written by Mr. Stepan.
Milspec likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page

rsha issue after new patch update on ie

walther pp ss issue

Click on a term to search for related topics.