WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2016, 08:55 PM   #11

rifleshooter474 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael t View Post
Look at it Doesn't have the silly tang Says Interarms on slide. In other words still a good PPK/s not the bad copy S&W
Unless you have a S&W PPK/s you have nothing more then hear say from people who also don't have a S&W PPK/s. So you'r post is really nothing but passing on worthless information. Same as our S&W hating forum moderator.
rifleshooter474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-05-2016, 10:45 PM   #12
Super Moderator

UniversalExports .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleshooter474 View Post
Unless you have a S&W PPK/s you have nothing more then hear say from people who also don't have a S&W PPK/s. So you'r post is really nothing but passing on worthless information. Same as our S&W hating forum moderator.
If you're referring to Searcher451, he does have an S&W version. It was so bad that he had all the internals replaced with Interarms parts in order to get it running properly.

As for me, I have two post-recall S&W versions – .380 PPK/S and .32 PPK, both of which have run flawlessly after an initial break-in period on the PPK/S of around four magazines, as I recall. But my positive experience has not been shared by others, so it's not "hearsay." It's documented first-hand accounts by more than a few dissatisfied S&W owners.

If I had Searcher's PPK/S I'd probably be down on S&W as well. If Searcher had my two he'd probably be liking S&W's versions as much as I do.
Pilotsteve likes this.

The Globe is a ship that has everything—
Including a serial killer with a large knife
and a penchant for the rich and beautiful.

Visit me at my Blog and on Facebook

Last edited by UniversalExports; 02-05-2016 at 11:01 PM.
UniversalExports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:02 AM   #13
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
As Doug correctly points out, I purchased the S&Walther, pre-recall, as an updated carry option, figuring that it would be a good alternative to the blued model that I'd been carrying for some time. It seemed to work fine, right up until the day when it no longer worked because of the faulty internals that S&W designed. And yes, Interarms/Ranger parts supplied by a forum member solved the issue for me, at least. The pistol functions properly today but now sits in the gun safe. I'm not inclined to use it, and I'm also not inclined to pass along an inferior model to a fellow gun enthusiast.

Contrary to at least one member's opinion here, I have nothing at all against S&W. The revolvers that the company produced for decades are things of beauty; everybody who appreciates quality firearms should own one, in the same way that everybody who appreciates firearms in general should own a Ruger 10/22. And I'll also add that S&W's customer service during its relationship with Walther was admirable. They were on top of things, and they by and large stood by their work. There was much to like, and the company received high praise on this forum from many members, me included. You can look it up, as they say.

But please excuse me if I don't see the point of worshipping at the altar of a particular model that is poorly designed. The Smith & Wesson PPK/S caused massive problems for a great many gun owners and did a great deal of harm to the Walther brand, in my view. Sorry, but you'll get no cheerleading on that topic from me, just as you will get none for some of the problematic concoctions that Umarex has produced during the past dozen or so years.

That doesn't make me a S&W hater, nor even a Umarex hater. But if you want my support, in person or online, build a quality firearm and stick by it. And if you build a clunker, for whatever reason, fix the damn thing; don't let it linger in the marketplace, causing problems for future gun owners who might read a positive review or recommendation from blind-eye fanboys who refuse to see the issues at hand.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2016, 09:12 AM   #14

rifleshooter474 .22
My question is did Smith and Wesson fix the problems with the early PPK/s handgun causing a recall of some early S/N# PPKs?

As i remember it was with the hammer dropping action that when operated, would fire the PPK. Correct me if i am wrong.

Myself i have not read of any other recall covering the S&W PPKs, again correct me if i am wrong.

Part of you'r Quote Searcher451 :And if you build a clunker, for whatever reason, fix the damn thing; don't let it linger in the marketplace, causing problems for future gun owners who might read a positive review or recommendation from blind-eye fanboys who refuse to see the issues at hand. end of part Quote:

Again i ask again just to be clear on this important item,has S&W done everything as of today to make all of their PPK past productions safe and workable? If not explain where S&W has failed to do this.

And if S&W has made them safe and workable, why would someone be a called a"fanboy" for posting them as quality handguns?

As to those" Interarms/Ranger parts" some forum member supplied to you, just what parts are they and just how does these parts make the PPK better then the S&W supplied parts?

Many people like myself who have bought the S&W PPKs, have had no problems, and i have shot mine enough to trust it, and from what i read many people are wanting to find the S&W PPKs.

On the subject of the Ruger 10/22 rifle, i bought one when they first were being sold paid $49 dollars US for it, hated the small plastic Mag. it shot fine i hocked it California and never got it back.

Anyone wanting a Ruger 10/22 saw themt being sold at Academy sports this week for $200 dollars US.

Hope you or anyone wishing to get one, do not get run over by the other people in a rush to buy one.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:07 AM   #15

Martin .22
Quote:
If not explain where S&W has failed to do this.
The key word is quality control. A good customer service do not compensates a working quality managment. That was missing, no more, no less.

Congratulation to every happy S&W owner. There are many unhappy customers out there, too. They all paid serious money and anticipate serious goods.

Last edited by Martin; 02-08-2016 at 04:31 AM. Reason: typo
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:16 AM   #16
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
To expand and/or clarify earlier remarks:

My comments related to pistols that have a track record of not working was directed more at Umarex than at S&W, this being a Walther forum and all. The P22, which still has problems, is a good example of that. But I will say that even with the recall, your chances of getting a fully working S&Walther PPK/S model today is a crapshoot: Some of them run just fine (Doug can attest to that, and apparently you can as well). I congratulate you both. But not everyone has had the same good fortune, even post-recall. We still see posts from folks who bought a brand new one and are having issues that require them to send the gun back to Houlton. That strikes me as odd, and frustrating, and I would not be happy if I were S&W's owner, or a company stockholder, or especially as the purchaser of a faulty pistol.

If I had a good one, right out of the box, I'd be pleased as well. But knowing of the issues, then and ongoing, I would not be inclined to post glowing reviews on this or any forum, knowing that problems still exist. That's just me.

My own S&Walther didn't start to work correctly until at least some of the internals were replaced with Interarms/Ranger parts, the firing pin especially. Go figure. The pistol works correctly now, or at least I think that it does, after some extensive range testing. But I don't trust it enough to either carry it or pass it along to somebody else. Again, that's just me. A search would likely turn up additional comments about it; plenty enough was posted at the time, some photos included.

Everybody has a recommendation on a gun that everybody should own. I think that the Ruger 10/22 qualifies. Clearly, one size does not fit all, but that's OK. I've never heard anyone say that their 10/22 didn't function as advertised.

Μολὼν λαβέ
Old 02-06-2016, 11:57 AM   #17
Super Moderator

UniversalExports .38
Quote:
My question is did Smith and Wesson fix the problems with the early PPK/s handgun causing a recall of some early S/N# PPKs?
There are myriad tales of S&W absolutely destroying PPK and PPK/S pistols sent in for recall work with gratuitous use of Dremels on parts that had nothing to do with the recall.

So, the answer to your question would have to be in a lot of cases, "No."

Old 02-06-2016, 11:59 AM   #18
Super Moderator

UniversalExports .38
And, by the way, as noted before I'm the happy owner of two post-recall S&Ws. But when I see one in the gun store the first thing I check is the serial number range. I won't go near one that falls within the recall.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:04 PM   #19

rifleshooter474 .22
Searcher451 Posted:
Quote: But not everyone has had the same good fortune, even post-recall. We still see posts from folks who bought a brand new one and are having issues that require them to send the gun back to Houlton.End of Quote:
rifleshooter474:
I would really question someones post in regards to any firearm failure or problem, as i noticed about all firearms get some failure and problem posts.

Small example many people post their handguns have FTEs and FTEs. other post they did not fire when trigger was pulled.
Without knowing the condition of the firearms or type of Ammos. being used, how can these complaints be substantiated?

Searcher451 Posted:
Quote: My own S&Walther didn't start to work correctly until at least some of the internals were replaced with Interarms/Ranger parts, the firing pin especially end of Quote:

rifleshooter474
Would you explain in more detail how the S&W supplied firing pin failed and what the difference there was in the Interarms/Ranger firing pin part, and what other parts were also replaced?

You also post today you still don't trust you'r S&W PPK, why if it has had all the S&W parts you post were replaced with the Interarms/Ranger parts why do you still not trust it?
Please explain in detail this item, on not trusting in now.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:50 PM   #20
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
RS:

Point One: Your call as to whether you want to believe a post from a frustrated gun owner who comes here looking for some help. I know that I've posted about frustrations I've had with pistols in the past, the S&Walther included, and especially a Beretta Tomcat I bought for the wife that didn't work ... at all. Say what you want, but I wasn't making up stories when I hit the send button. Can't imagine why anyone would.

Point Two: You'll have to go back to the original posts, if you want to see the particulars. I think that some photos were posted up as well. It's been a long time, and don't have detailed notes rattling around in my head.

Point Three: As to the pistol itself, I don't trust the pistol enough to carry it, even if it performs as advertised on the range (or at least did the last time I ran some ammo through it). I have other, far better options. I also wouldn't want to stick another gun owner with the pistol, knowing the initial problems that were created by the design and also knowing that my solution to fixing the pistol didn't go through Houlton's recall process. Again, that's me, and my choice. I'll just say that the pistol sits in the safe, and I think that's a good place for it.

I'd also add here that we seem to be straying far afield from the OP's initial take in this thread. If anyone wants to carry this discussion further, please consider PMs ... or perhaps a new thread.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wa0h7vh aa)

hickcock45 ppks

hickock45 shooting the walther ppk/s

hickok45 walther ppk

hickok45 walther ppks

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/pp-tp-series/46334-hickok45-shoots-ppk-s-380-a.html

Click on a term to search for related topics.