Sad WWII PP - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2016, 04:40 PM   #11

Jimbo80 .22
Hard to imagine you could be anything but happy. Very nice.
Jimbo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-08-2016, 04:48 PM   #12
Super Moderator

UniversalExports .38
Beautiful.

The Globe is a ship that has everythingó
Including a serial killer with a large knife
and a penchant for the rich and beautiful.

Visit me at my Blog and on Facebook
UniversalExports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:35 PM   #13

Badger54 .22
Wow...what a difference. It is a very smart looking pistol. Congratulations!
Badger54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2016, 08:44 PM   #14

Pilotsteve .22
Oh my (teardrop). Beautiful.

-Pilotsteve
Pilotsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:45 PM   #15
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrob View Post
I... I do not wish to taint the pool....Promises that it would look like new and they had every stamp to replace anything that was buffed...
I guess it all depends on what "look" one values. Does it look "nice"? Absolutely. Does it look "very smart"? Yes, without question.

But does it look "like new"? (As promised?)

If one wishes to know what it looked like when it was new, there are ample threads on this forum that clearly show the finish on c.1940 PP-series pistols. For example, even discounting the wear: https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p...e-rsha-ss.html

If one can't tell the difference, or doesn't care, or regards any such distinction as unimportant -- then please ignore my post. My feelings won't be hurt.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:54 PM   #16

pilkguns .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrob View Post
It's back, and I am going to hold my tongue on how I feel about it until I get the group feedback. I do not wish to taint the pool....Promises that it would look like new and they had every stamp to replace anything that was buffed

hmmmmmm,

As someone who has been involved with finely finished/refinished/restored firearms for over three decades, I can understand your disappointment with what you received back. It is nowhere near the level of quality of the 1911 pic you posted which I presume you also own.

Not knowing what exactly what was offered and or agreed on between the two of you, I am reluctant to say too much. I did'nt even know Earl offered refinishing until this post. And does he offer refinishing or restoration?

I am not really a connoisseur of pre war Walthers but I have seen some ZM guns that I am sure were wearing their original finish that had some prettly blurry lines on them. "Montag Arbeit" the Germans say. As in Monday work after partying all weekend. In this case, the indistinct lines on the before pictures are the same blurry lines on the after shots, so perhaps he was trying to keep the original lines, albeit badly done. If so, he did a good job. Elsewhere there are some areas that are just a bit too shiny to look right so that's kind of contradictory. Again I'm not an expert on Walther's finish methods of that time period, but my impression is from what I've seen is that ZM guns were mostly finished with wire wheels*, and certainly what you got back is way too shiny for that if restoration was a goal.

And of course in addition to polish work, is the color itself. It's always hard to say for sure when looking at digital photographs taken under an unknown light source on a computer screen that has not been properly color calibrated, but what I see doesn't look right, but again, was this a refinish deal, as in color would not have been critical or a restoration where it would have been?

*maybe someone who really knows can chime in

A gun and a parachute have a common dynamic, if you need one, nothing else will really suffice.
http://learntoengrave.com

Last edited by pilkguns; 02-08-2016 at 10:00 PM.
pilkguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:18 PM   #17

Herr Walther Unproven
Overall I don't think it's too bad. The color is a bit off, but he didn't go crazy with the buffer either, though there are a couple of questionable areas that were commented on already as a 'Montag Arbeit'

I would be more satisfied with this than the original condition no matter how much it is valued by others. I can see a significantly scarce or rare original PP not wanting to have re-finished, but this basket case was not significant nor a collectable with any sort of outstanding value other than it being a wartime PP after they had taken a wire wheel to it and stripped the blueing.

It's a little too shiny for me, but it looks very nice.

Die Familie Rentz seit 1535 https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2091&dateline=1394562  861

Last edited by Herr Walther; 02-09-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Herr Walther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:46 AM   #18

skeezer .22
IMO, this PP lost it's "original" "added value" as soon as the blueing was physically removed. So at that point anything goes for a new finish. It could have been perfectly restored such that it could not be easily distinguished from a "new in box" period piece, but you still have a restored PP.
The way I looked at it is if these were two seperate firearms sitting on a table, which would I want to have? Certainly, by far, the refinished PP. If it looks as good in the hand as it does in the pics, I'd be happy with the result. It is a beautiful shooter's piece.
Just my $0.02
skeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:06 AM   #19

Jagrmaister .22
Like new? No, probably not but look at the source material. Still a good looking specimen at this point and one I wouldn't balk to own. Don't know how much was invested in bringing it to"like new" though and that could weigh heavily on my acceptance level.
Jagrmaister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:34 AM   #20

pilkguns .22
Actually looking at this again this morning on a bigger screen, it looks like these pieces were subjected to some 555 compound on a loose buffing wheel and then blued. Doesn't look like any attempt at pit removal even in the easy places.

Again though, I don't know what was offered or agreed to.

A gun and a parachute have a common dynamic, if you need one, nothing else will really suffice.
http://learntoengrave.com
pilkguns is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series