• 1 Post By SteveM
  • 2 Post By Milspec
  • 7 Post By MGMike
  • 2 Post By EfrenD
  • 1 Post By MGMike

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2014, 07:48 PM   #1

theQ .22
Manurhin 22lr PPK/S in nickel ...how rare?

How rare are these? A few months ago there was one for sale on rimfirecentral.com that was there a couple weeks, now I'm wishing I had got it, I haven't seen one since. This one IIRC was marked Manurhin but I've seen one or two that weren't (just Interarms but nothing regarding made in W. Germany or made on USA... may have been a refinish?)

Anyway, any one know production #s for the older (not Uramex) factory-finished nickel 22lr PPK/S ? Any one got one for sale

If you're willing, I'd LOVE to see pics I can drool over. This may be my "grail gun"
theQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 12-30-2014, 04:01 AM   #2

Martin .22
No production numbers available, sorry. Nickel finish was an option at extra charge. Manurhin made all PP-series guns chambered in .22lr. regardless of whether marked Walther or Manurhin, 'Made in Germany' or 'Made in France' (=> marking behind magazine butt on later production), except the new UMAREX remake.
theQ likes this.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:31 AM   #3

SteveM .22
Here is a Electroless Nickel(Nivel) Walther marked French proofed PPK/s 22.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0760.JPG (1.91 MB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0763.JPG (2.07 MB, 89 views)
GeoNole94 likes this.
SteveM is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #4

halfmoonclip .22
Steve, can you sense 'envy' over the Internet? Wow.
Moon
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:01 PM   #5

theQ .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
THAT'S what I'm talking about!!

Do want....
Old 12-30-2014, 02:16 PM   #6
Supporting Member

Milspec .38
If it says "Manurhin International" on the right slide and doesn't mention Walther on the left it's probably Manurhin's Durgarde (bonded brushed chrome finish) and made in the mid 1980's. Here's a Durgarde .380 PPK/S for comparison:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg medium800.jpg (119.1 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg standard.jpg (87.4 KB, 65 views)
searcher451 and GeoNole94 like this.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:18 PM   #7
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
Those are lovely guns, made entirely by Manurhin under a sub-license from Interarms to allow the Walther Banner to be applied, and exported directly from France to Interarms. Normally Manurhin was forbidden under its own license from Walther to use the Walther Banner symbol; thus those guns that Manurhin "pre-produced" for Walther from 1961 onward were delivered to Ulm with unhardened, unmarked slides "in the white".

These .22s (and .380s) owed their existence to the long delay in serial production of the Interarms .380 guns in the USA. In the interim, the Manurhins were available at a significantly lower price than Walther was charging for the German-finished versions, and were ordered in both .380 and .22. (At that time, .32 was unloved.) The price was still higher than the Interarms American version, so when production finally caught up with demand the Manurhin "Walther Banner" variant was eclipsed.

The "Nivel" finish was applied to some of them by Interarms after the guns (originally blue) were received in the USA. "Nivel" (a name constructed from "nickel" and "velvet") produced a thin but extremely surface-hard and slick matte finish that was wear-resistant and very attractive. Of course it was not as impervious to corrosion as stainless. However, neither Manurhin nor Walther (nor anyone else in Europe in those days) wanted to deal with the problems of working with stainless.

Some buyers who had really acidic perspiration found that the fore- and back-straps of Nivel guns would turn black if not wiped down after handling. Of course those individuals did the same thing to blued guns, too -- only it appeared as rust.

The Nivel PPK/s .22s were delectable and satisfying guns --much finer than the contemporary Interarms USA-made .380s, though more expensive. Manurhin briefly continued their production under Manurhin's own name after Interarms orders ceased. These were also of very high quality. But without the Walther name to boost them--the result of adverse litigation--sales suffered. The French defense conglomerate Matra, which by then had acquired Manurhin, glanced at the numbers and shut down the plant at Mulhouse.

Unfortunately we will not see their likes again, not from Germany and positively not from Arkansas.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:15 PM   #8

theQ .22
Thanks for the reply and info Mike. Informative and very interesting, as always.

Only problem is now I want one even more.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:40 AM   #9

EfrenD .22
I just recently found mine......this was on my want list for a loooong time! I paid dearly for it but condition and complete package is everything! This baby is mint! Now I need the .380 to match......it never ends! Good luck on your search Q!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (1.37 MB, 51 views)
halfmoonclip and GeoNole94 like this.

Last edited by EfrenD; 02-06-2016 at 08:43 AM.
EfrenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:14 AM   #10
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
These c.1982-4 guns are distinguishable from Ulm-origin pistols only by their markings: 1) French proofs; 2) the small "UNDER LICENSE OF" on the left side of the slide, and 3) a small Manurhin waterwheel logo and "Made in France" on the bottom of the butt.

M
EfrenD likes this.

Last edited by MGMike; 02-06-2016 at 12:48 PM. Reason: waterwheel not gearwheel
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page
airsoft walther ppk nickel
manurhin model pp nickel

manurhin nivel finish 22lr

manurhin pp nickel
manurhin ppk/s durgarde
nivel electroless nickel
ppk manurhin durgarde
walther ppk s 22 nickel
what is nickel case in 22lr
Click on a term to search for related topics.