Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By olsoul
  • 2 Post By searcher451

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014, 12:44 AM   #1

bobfossil .22
"AC" PP

A friend at work said he had an old .32 he wanted me to find a magazine for because he didn't know what the gun was and it's been in storage for the past 15 years or so. Brought it in tonight, I pull it out the holster and I'm like, huh, looks like a Walther PP, but there's no markings other than a serial number with "ac" under it, at first I though this is a nice little clone of a Walther, but the quality is amazing, the fit is damn near close to anything I own personally (and I've got an STI and SVI) and then I remembered that the marking habits in world war 2 were kind of sloppy, then I read about the "ac" markings and such, but didn't see any others like mine, being as it's got a nickel/stainless finish. Anyway, just wondering if anyone could give me some more info on it. No magazine (obviously) and the grips are aftermarket pachmayr's. He said he paid $150 for it many years ago at a pawn shop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140626_164304.jpg (1.45 MB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140626_164311.jpg (1.45 MB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140626_212351.jpg (1.45 MB, 51 views)
bobfossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 06-27-2014, 06:12 AM   #2
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
Looks like a cigarette gun....
Because of the serial number mismatch it was likely put together from parts after the factory was captured....

They were called cigarette guns because for the price of a pack of smokes a GI could have it chromed by a German craftsman. This was a very popular thing for the GIs to do.

It was likely made around the end of 44 in the Zella-Mehlis plant. I'd have it looked over by a smith who knows the PP platform as it may have been assembled without all the needed bits and bobs. I will say I wouldn't mind having it in my collection. It has an interesting history.
GonzoGeezer likes this.

Last edited by olsoul; 06-27-2014 at 09:35 AM.
olsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:06 AM   #3

GonzoGeezer .22
+1 on getting it checked. There don't appear to be any proof marks so I'd be careful about even firing it.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:35 AM   #4
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
This thread from forum member Ron from Minnesota, posted on the P.38 Forum ...

P 38 & PP-PPK Collector Forum

... will provide you with some fascinating background on the Walther plant and its firearms when it was captured by the Third Army.
Pilotsteve and larryz like this.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:01 AM   #5

bobfossil .22
Awesome, thanks everyone for the info. I'll get it checked out by someone with more knowledge on these particular pistols, but from everything I can see it's in excellent shape internally and functions well with snap caps. The frame/slide fit is unbelievable, not even taking into account it was probably just slapped together. I'm sure he'll be happy to know it's got some nice history to it.
bobfossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:31 PM   #6
Supporting Member

Milspec .38
The tight fit may have more to due with the gun being chromed than careful fitting of slide to the frame. The steel used to build these late war guns wasn't the best quality and some parts weren't fitted or heat treated correctly. Safeties often weren't timed to lock the firing pin and brittle safety drums may crack. So even if checked by a gunsmith it's a good idea to use your thumb to lower the hammer. Expect that the loaded gun may fire if bumped or dropped and always pay close attention to where it's pointed. Assume the gun is made from some reject parts...as it very well may be. In other words it's more of a historical piece than a safe carry gun. Just something to keep in mind.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series