WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 12:33 AM   #1

Location: The Quiet Corner of the Screw the Constitution State
Captatnman .22
Custom work being done on my S&W PPK/S

I'm so excited, I just have to tell someone what I'm having done to my PPK/S. This is my second PPK/S. The first one was stolen from me back in 1994. I loved that gun so much that I knew I would have another for my EDC gun. Well 3 months ago I got a new S&W PPK/S .380. The first 5-6 magazines I had a few feeding issues and then the gun broke in and I had no problems after that. I wanted some work done to make this great gun into the gun I'll EDC for the rest of my life. Doing some research I chose Jojo's Gunworks in Southington Ct. to do my work. It was Jojo's or LaRocca Gun Works in Worcester Mass. Both are 45 minutes from my house. Both had awesome reviews. Jojo's was in state and I had no desire to deal with the crazy Massachusetts gun laws. On Sunday March 11 I went to the shop with my PPK/S and met Jody, he's one of the owners of Jojo's. I asked Jody if he did work on Walther PPK/S', He said yep what's wrong with it? I said nothing & Jody said that's a good start. What do you want done? So this is the list I gave him and we took about an hour talking about it.

First priority
- Polish & Blend Feed Ramp & Barrel
- Polish & Adjust Extractor
- Polish Breach Face
- Tune up & Deburr inside Parts
- Tune & Lighten Trigger
- Install Front & Back Novak Tritium Night Sights

Second priority
- Checker Front Bottom Strap 30 lpi
- Checker Back Strap 30 lpi
- Checker Trigger Guard
- Checker or Stripe 5-6 lines trigger
- Checker Hammer

Third priority / Nice to have
- Laser Cut Small OO7 logo under mag button
- Glass Bead Blast to a Matte Finish
- Gripping cut in front of slide to match rear

Most of the things in the first priority section was covered in their reliably package and Jody said all the springs will be replaced with Wolff Springs. Jody also said he'll mill in some nice small Novak sights. Jody then had me check out the nicest 1911 I've ever scene, The engraving & checkering was perfect. Jody looked at all the checkering work I wanted and he said "you want this gun to stick to your hand don't ya?" I said "I want to feel like I'm Spiderman holding this gun. Jody said that I shouldn't checker the trigger, that way I'll have a little play with my grip. If I still want it done it can be done later. I agreed.

For the third priority part I got a chuckle and a that's cool for the OO7 laser engraving. I played with that, Captain Bugles and some other fire department related engravings. Jody said that he won't charge me for the matte finish because He had to refinish the gun after doing the other work. Jody didn't want to cut the gripping at the front of the slide because He don't like putting hands near the front of the gun. He agreed to put them on after I showed him that the Crimson Trace Laser covered 1/2 of the right side gripping on the slide and with my big fingers it was hard to rack the gun. Jody asked if I wanted the edges softened. I said, sure. I then told Jody that "this is the gun that will be my EDC gun for the rest of my life so, take your time and do this right". Jody asked me if I would mind some surprises? I said if it makes my PPK/S better, go for it. I then said "you're the pro and you & I are on the same page, I'm giving you permission to do whatever you want to make my gun better and more reliable. Jody had me leave a magazine and 20 rounds of my EDC ammunition. He said it should be about 2 months.

I'll post more with photos when I get my gun back from Jojo's. 10 days down 50ish to go.

To better protect mt PPK/S I ordered a new leather lined holster from High Noon Holsters. I have on order a Slide Guard in black. I have a Under Taker Shoulder Holster from High Noon Holsters for my 1911. The quality of their holsters are very good.

So, here I sit....... waiting ..............and waiting ......and still waiting .... ho hum.

Jojo's Gunworks.

Update #1 Photos start at post #21.
Update #2 Detail photos start at post #38
Update #3 Price list on post #85.
Update #4 Sight information on post #92.
Update #5 Remove engraving from the slide post #95
rdh226 and Joost like this.

Last edited by Captatnman; 12-11-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: update info
Captatnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 03-21-2012, 02:11 AM   #2

Captatnman .22
Forgot to mention, I'm also having the beaver tail reshaped to look like an original PPK/S. I never got slide bite with my old PPK/S. Knock on wood, I'll have the same luck with this gun. I'm sure there's more things we talked about that I'm forgetting now. Jody was taking all kinds of notes. Anyone have any questions just ask. I'll let you in on my though process....... and waiting

Last edited by Captatnman; 03-21-2012 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
That's a lot of work for a pistol that seemed to be working for you. Just curious as to why you chose a S&W model to start with; why not an Interarms pistol, where you wouldn't have to reshape the tang to make it match the original design?

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #4

Captatnman .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher451 View Post
That's a lot of work for a pistol that seemed to be working for you. Just curious as to why you chose a S&W model to start with; why not an Interarms pistol, where you wouldn't have to reshape the tang to make it match the original design?
The main reason I didn't go with a Interarms PPK/S is I never have luck with used items, not used cars, not used camping gear and not used guns. I learned long ago not to buy other peoples problems. If I could've found a brand new Interarms PPK/S I would've been all over it. This all started out with me just wanting the feed ramp polished & checking on the front & back straps. Then I started dreaming about a custom PPK/S. I had the money to finally do a custom gun. I always wanted a good, reliable one of a kind custom gun. The reshaping of the tang wasn't in my plan at all. To be honest, I could care less one way or another about the tang. When I was talking with Jody, The subject of the shape of the old PPK/S' came up. Jody quoted me such a low price to reshape it I told him to do it. Just to add to that one of a kind custom thing. It kind of goes with 007 engraving, not needed, something different.
Member CCDL

"Less of a random killing machine, more of a personal statement" Q

My Walthers
PPK/S 9mm short Stainless Custom
TPH .22 Stainless
PPK/S .22 NiVel
P22 Carbon Fiber

Photos of my other guns
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-HCYTvxqRpG8/UOJskqcgp7I/AAAAAAAADNM/Jlynl4pFfYY/s100/We%2520the%2520People.jpg

Last edited by Captatnman; 03-21-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #5
MLB

MLB .22
Certainly looking forward to those pictures. Hope it turns out well for you.
terracin likes this.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #6

Conman37 .22
Captatnman, happy to hear you got another PPK/S and are able to get it built the way you want!!

Don't forget the photographs when you get it back...........
Conman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #7

Captatnman .22
MLB & Conman37, thanks. I promise that there will be a bunch of photos for all to enjoy and/or pick apart.
Member CCDL

"Less of a random killing machine, more of a personal statement" Q

My Walthers
PPK/S 9mm short Stainless Custom
TPH .22 Stainless
PPK/S .22 NiVel
P22 Carbon Fiber

Photos of my other guns
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-HCYTvxqRpG8/UOJskqcgp7I/AAAAAAAADNM/Jlynl4pFfYY/s100/We%2520the%2520People.jpg
Old 03-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #8

rifleshooter474 .22
I am sure you know what you want or require from your S&W PPK/s .380. But I am just very happy with my stock S&W PPK/s .380. In the First priority besides the new sights I really don't see any need for any of it. Maybe I am missing something. To me my PPK/s is a close up use handgun say 10 foot at the most I don't see it as a target shooting handgun.
terracin likes this.
rifleshooter474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #9

autonut .22
Oh...but you have to make your gun your own. Get all the mud-flaps and fender skirts on there and you will have a one-of-a-kind.

I know some of you guys don't remember back that far, but at one time as opposed to mega-blasting stereos, pastel-colored neon lights and wheels big enough to fit a school-bus....fender-skirts, mirrors and multiple antennas were all the rage.
halfmoonclip and Captatnman like this.
autonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #10

yogiboobooranger .22
Shows my age!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by autonut View Post
Oh...but you have to make your gun your own. Get all the mud-flaps and fender skirts on there and you will have a one-of-a-kind.

I know some of you guys don't remember back that far, but at one time as opposed to mega-blasting stereos, pastel-colored neon lights and wheels big enough to fit a school-bus....fender-skirts, mirrors and multiple antennas were all the rage.
Darned if I do remember those things..but early Chevy offerings were the hot items of the day back then for me anyway. 1955/56 and 1957 chevies were hot and the Corvettes too.
yogiboobooranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page

custom walther ppk/s

custom walther ppks

larocca gun works reviews

s&w walther ppk review
walther ppk custom

walther ppk custom work

walther ppk trigger job

walther ppk upgrades

walther ppks custom
walther ppks custom work

walther ppks review

walther ppks trigger job
Click on a term to search for related topics.