"Fixing" holster wear on stainless - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 11:19 PM   #1

FCdrifter .22
"Fixing" holster wear on stainless

A guy on one of my other forums is selling a Stainless Interarms PPK/S. He said it has about 500-1000 rounds through it, but shows some holster wear from being carried for years. I haven't taken a look at it yet but my question is can you remove the holster wear? Since it's stainless steel I assume you should be able to polish the wear out but wanted some info/advice about whether/how it can be done. Any insight would be appreciated.

On a side note: is $400 a good price? It doesn't come with the original case or paperwork though.
FCdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 11-25-2011, 08:14 AM   #2

halfmoonclip .22
Depending on the degree of wear, $400 may or may not be an okay price. I've seen really minty examples going for that kind of money (local shop has one for $450 right now, LNIB). Can the prospective seller send you some really sharp pics?

As regards touchup, the brushed portions are easy; just use 3M cloth, those scrubby pad looking things. Just be careful to brush with the existing grain.

Marks on the bead blast surfaces (top of the slide, etc) are more problematic. Circuit board etchant ('PCB Etchant Board Soluton', get it at Radio Shack) can be used to redarken abraded areas; done carefully, it looks good tho' darker than original.

What caliber is the gun in question? Thirty-twos are considered desirable by many of us here, and may command more money. The local gun is a .380.

Moon
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
It's impossible to say without taking a look at the damage, whatever it might be. Holster wear on a stainless pistol seems odd to me.

But that being said, I'd be inclined to pass at that price. You can find nice examples of Interarms/Ranger pistols that come with the original box, extra magazine, manual, and cleaning tool for that money, or a bit more. Then again, you are in California; your location might make a difference in what's readily available.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2011, 11:51 AM   #4

halfmoonclip .22
Searcher, it is indeed possible to acquire holster wear on a stainless gun; I have a Smith revo or two as proof, tho' the wear isn't extensive nor damaging.

Now if the gun in question has been dribbled on concrete or some other such abuse, that is a different matter.
Moon
Old 11-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #5

FCdrifter .22
Being in California it's pretty difficult to find a PPK let alone an interarms one. Since it's not on the CA roster of approved handguns the gun cannot be shipped which means I have to buy it face to face so it would have to come up for sale in my area as well.

I'll see what I can do about getting some pics; he had some up but for some reason took them down when he marked the gun SPF.

The gun is a .380 btw.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:19 PM   #6
Banned

JW 759 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher451 View Post
It's impossible to say without taking a look at the damage, whatever it might be. Holster wear on a stainless pistol seems odd to me.

But that being said, I'd be inclined to pass at that price. You can find nice examples of Interarms/Ranger pistols that come with the original box, extra magazine, manual, and cleaning tool for that money, or a bit more. Then again, you are in California; your location might make a difference in what's readily available.
We (me) need photos of the wear on SS.
I have SS. In PPK/S.
SS is impermeable to wear in a holster.

JW 759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #7

FCdrifter .22
I'm jealous! I want one!

Yea I'll see what I can do about getting some pictures.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #8

FCdrifter .22
pictures:

Index of /firearms/ppk
Old 11-25-2011, 10:46 PM   #9

halfmoonclip .22
Looks more like handling scuffs than holster wear. A pretty presentable specimen; it would be better if you could talk him down $50.
Moon
Old 11-25-2011, 10:58 PM   #10

FCdrifter .22
Thanks for the feedback! I'll give it a try and see what happens!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page
does leather holsters wear stainless guns

fixing holster wear

holster wear on stainless steel

holster wear stainless steel

how to clean holster wear
how to remove holster wear on stainless gun
leather holster and stainless gun
remove holster marks from stainless gun

stainless gun holster wear

stainless holster wear
stainless steel gun holster wear

stainless steel holster wear

Click on a term to search for related topics.