Reichsbank PPK - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2020, 10:05 PM   #1

Jvelecky .22
Reichsbank PPK

This PPK in a .22 was made around 1932 and issued to the Banks under contract from Walther. On trying it out for the first time I noticed the slide won't stay open on the last shot or otherwise. Before I take it to a gunsmith, I was wondering if this was by design or a mechanical problem? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Walther1.jpg (186.9 KB, 36 views)
phansson, GeoNole94, jwi4 and 2 others like this.
Jvelecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 03-17-2020, 02:15 AM   #2

153 .22
Valuable gun, rare mags, I would leave it alone and find another pistol to plink with.

"The beggar who is sitting in the marketplace is completely deaf in so much as far as listening to the song that is coming from the Mockingbird is concerned."

Bond's Walther PPK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SimIUgsMQQk

Bond's Beretta: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Bc...ature=youtu.be
153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:05 AM   #3

Poloberst .22
I can’t remember the design specifics, but I would suggest removing the slide and inserting the empty magazine to insure that the magazine engages and pushes up the hold-open lever. Your Reichsbank pistol is a valuable piece and shooting it lessens it value to collectors.

"This hobby is a continuing education"
Premium paid for for Walther Model 8 #727649 and Walther PP #975557
Poloberst is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2020, 10:42 AM   #4
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poloberst View Post
... I would suggest removing the slide and inserting the empty magazine to insure that the magazine engages and pushes up the hold-open lever. Your Reichsbank pistol is a valuable piece and shooting it lessens it value to collectors.
It's not necessary to remove the slide; the action of the ejector/hold-open can be observed just by looking through the ejection port. See the second photo in post #23 in this thread: https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/...questions.html

As for shooting it, I'd be reluctant to tender such advice without knowing why the OP acquired the gun. Maybe he just enjoys plinking with elegant weapons. I know that sentiment very well.

M
Jimbo80 and ameridap like this.

Last edited by MGMike; 03-17-2020 at 12:23 PM. Reason: syntax
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 03:01 PM   #5

Poloberst .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
It's not necessary to remove the slide; the action of the ejector/hold-open can be observed just by looking through the ejection port. See the second photo in post #23 in this thread: https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/...questions.html

As for shooting it, I'd be reluctant to tender such advice without knowing why the OP acquired the gun. Maybe he just enjoys plinking with elegant weapons. I know that sentiment very well.

M
All very well and good, but that image is of a PPK with a functioning hold-open. We know there is NO action of the ejector/hold-open as the OP has stated such. My suggestion was to see if there was an underlying cause of the failure to hold the slide, which I don't believe can be seen with the slide remaining in place. Is the hold-open spring working? Does the empty magazine push up on the ejector/hold-open?

I had a similar problem with magazines for a BMR 9mmK PP. None of the magazines would seat in the BMR. I removed the slide and found that the ejector/hold-open for the 9mmK PP is a totally different design from a 7.65mm PP. Even the frame is machined differently, requiring part of the lip of the magazine to be removed allow the mag to engage the hold-open and still engage the BMR.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:40 AM   #6

1917-1911M .38
Well, there isn't much you can't see with the slide retracted. You can see the condition of the breech front, the condition of the rear of the ejector....if there is one in the pistol and if an empty magazine follower is engaging the ejector. Hold open spring? The only spring that engages the ejector is the one pushing up on the mag follower. I don't believe the mag body should engage the ejector at all. I've got no problem with removing the slide and when I need to have a close look with the slide on I remove the recoil spring so I'm not having to fight that gorilla.

I'm not sure what last shot or otherwise means. Could be short stroking due to ammo or could be a missing ejector, could be a damaged part, could be a damaged follower or bad mag spring. We need to hear from the OP. 1917
MGMike likes this.
1917-1911M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:24 AM   #7

jwi4 .22
I don't know what the mechanical problem with the gun is but what a beauty. As others have said I don't think I would be shooting it but that is your business of course. Thanks for posting the pictures. I have never seen one with the two green magazines and matching numbers too. I would think you would look long and hard to find another like your gun and doubt you would ever find one.
jwi4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:56 AM   #8
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poloberst View Post
I canít remember the design specifics, but ....
1917-1911M remembers them very well.

Myself, I'm on the ragged edge of Alzheimer's but I do remember that as the slide is pulled rearward with the magazine empty, the ejector can be seen popping upward to engage the breech face of the slide, with the result as shown in the photo. I assumed that the OP would have enough imagination to compare the ejector in his gun to the one shown when the slide was pulled open. If it didn't look like that, he will have identified a problem.

I did not post a full troubleshooting protocol for him because it's obvious that he's very unfamiliar with the gun (if he'd read a manual he'd have known the answer to his question), and probably doesn't know how to remove the slide without buggering up the rail edges. Since it's an elegant and unusual pistol, the risk of user-inflicted damage is to be avoided.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:07 AM   #9

Poloberst .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
Well, there isn't much you can't see with the slide retracted. You can see the condition of the breech front, the condition of the rear of the ejector....if there is one in the pistol and if an empty magazine follower is engaging the ejector. Hold open spring? The only spring that engages the ejector is the one pushing up on the mag follower. I don't believe the mag body should engage the ejector at all. I've got no problem with removing the slide and when I need to have a close look with the slide on I remove the recoil spring so I'm not having to fight that gorilla.

I'm not sure what last shot or otherwise means. Could be short stroking due to ammo or could be a missing ejector, could be a damaged part, could be a damaged follower or bad mag spring. We need to hear from the OP. 1917
The OP has no doubt taken it to a smithy for repair as we haven't heard from him.

MGMike suggestion to examine the ejector/hold-open area is fine and the link shows how much you can see. But of course that pistol has an operating hold-open. In the case of the OP, his gun fired and ejected rounds (so we know it has an ejector) but failed to stay open. I just felt a lot more could be easily seen with the slide removed, rather than having to use to hands to hold back the slide and look inside.

Please look at the center of this photo at the small wire spring compressed between the frame and the ejector/hold-open. It holds the hold-open down until pushed up by the follower.

I did not suggest the mag body of the OP's gun was engaging the ejector. I related a problem I had with a BMR 9mmK PP that led me to discover the design and machining of those ejector/hold-opens are totally different from the 7,65mm design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6567.JPG (198.9 KB, 13 views)

Old 03-18-2020, 10:56 AM   #10

1917-1911M .38
I have found that internet diagnosis is primarily difficult because of a couple of things. We don't have the gun in hand and the OP may or may not be familiar with parts of the firearm, their function, etc. Also, many posters simply do not ever report in again after their first post. I sometimes wonder if they even remember where they asked a question.

So, we really need the OP to answer a few questions....very specific questions. Does the gun even have an ejector in it? I've fired several just to see how they work with no ejector. Most of the time the spent case is ejected although erratically. Yes the .22 ejector/hold open arm is a little different in the .22 version but the manner in which it works is essentially the same. Yes the .22 mags are a bit different with regard to the left lip and of course the size of the round. And the follower is different with regard to the front tab that engages the ejector. I'm thinking other PP followers might fit the mag. Who knows what might have been done to the pistol over the years.

Photos would sure help and at least we need to hear from the OP so we can get some clarification. Otherwise we are just speculating on what might be the cause. Functional problems require very specific information and analysis to be effective....usually. I have run into posts where the OP says this pistol won't fire. Problem was, he had the safety on. More information needed.

This post is only two days old so hopefully we will hear from the OP again. I can put up pictures of the difference between the ejector of a .22 vs .32 and the difference in mag follower tabs. 1917
MGMike likes this.
1917-1911M is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series