Carry finish for a german PPK? - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2020, 12:53 AM   #1
PP7

PP7 .22
Carry finish for a german PPK?

Wondering if I should get a particular finish. I know Hard chrome is good for such things, but Id really prefer a nice bluing. Parkerized is always an option as well (used on BW issued PPKs), considering maybe a refinish by arizona response systems (HK MP5 style black paint over park)

or would i be fine with blued in a shoulder holster with just a daily wipe with a silicone cloth? Im not concerned with holster wear, just rust/corrosion/pitting.
PP7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-17-2020, 06:05 AM   #2

Duncanppk .22
P Finish

PP7,

I'm not sure what you are asking. It sounds like you have a PP series pistol you want to refinish. If so give use some info and pictures on it so we can help you. You may have a pistol that has had its finish damaged and needs help. Or you may have one with history which would be destroyed by refinishing.

My feeling on silicone cloth wiping is that it will get rid of fingerprints and light crud on the outside but it is not the best preventive for everyday use. Also give us info on your location (are you in a hot humid area, salt air, etc.) as that helps determine care of a pistol.

Duncan
Duncanppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:15 PM   #3
PP7

PP7 .22
Ive found a postwar PPK with a worn finish that I would like to refinish as I would be using it for CCW. I tend to live all over, but right now I'm in NC.

I'm not concerned with any value lost by a refinish as I dont intend to keep it for resale value.

Basically asking if I should get something else instead of a reblue, although I prefer the look of a nice blueing over the others.
PP7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2020, 10:25 PM   #4

halfmoonclip .22
For pure practicality, hard chrome is tough to beat. Carrying a blued gun close to your body, and in and out of a holster, will inevitably wear it.
There are some Cerakote finishes which are dark, and might meet your needs.
Moon
ETA- If the gun is indeed well worn (honest wear), why not just carry it as-is?
M
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:43 AM   #5

Screwball .22
Carry finish for a german PPK?

Check with CCR out of Tennessee. They do a plating similar to NP3, and started advertising the Dusk version of it.

Personally, Iíve thought about it... but havenít done the research into its durability. They are big on SIG Forum, if you wanted to check examples out.

All of my guns with their CPII plating are perfect. I did have the plating chip on my Glock 30S slide, but sent it back and they redid it under warranty. Rarely hear of issues with them, but they do the right thing.
Screwball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:59 AM   #6

Duncanppk .22
PP refinish

Okay, if it is in the condition you say, do what you want to the finish. Another option would be to see what is worth, plus the cost of refinishing and see if a more modern pistol could be purchased. Hard chrome is unbeatable for wear resistance and durability. Your cheapest option would be rebluing, but this may not last long in EDC.

Others had suggested other options so take your pick as to what suits your needs.

Duncan
Duncanppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:47 AM   #7

Gene L .22
Look at all those PP pistols carried in WW 2. They're all blue and somehow through carrying conditions far worse than what you'll experience. Blue and wipe it down, stay out of the mud and you'll be fine. And it will look like true to the original. A plated PP pistol looks terrible, to me, although they are tougher. I guess it depends on why you choose to carry a PP pistol. I carry mine "just because" I like a PPK, but realizing there are better SD choices out there.
Gene L is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series