Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MGMike
  • 1 Post By halfmoonclip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2020, 10:42 AM   #1

noshow Unproven
Loose Grip Question

The right hand grip panel on my ULM/Interarms PPK-S loosens to the point where it rocks fore and aft and becomes disturbing. I am afraid of over tightening the grip screw and cracking them. I do have a torque driver if anyone can suggest a safe spec. Are there any other suggested solutions for this problem?
noshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-16-2020, 11:06 AM   #2

halfmoonclip .22
Does the looseness go away entirely when the grip screw is tight? There may well be a torque spec, but an inch-pound wrench will mostly be expensive and gather dust.
The rule of thumb is 'just right', firm but not crazy.
Back to question one; does a snug screw solve the problem, but returns when the screw loosens? If it does, the issue may be a worn grip screw, which can be addressed with blue locktite or a fresh screw and escutcheon.
If a snug screw doesn't solve it, try to judge where the wobble is; may require some filling with epoxy.
Or order up new grips, either copies or wooden replacements.
Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:30 AM   #3
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Loosen the offending grip, and figure out where there's too much clearance, i.e., in which direction the "rocking" needs to be stopped. The top edge of the grip should align parallel with the bottom edge of the slide. You'll need to take up that excess clearance by molding a tiny shim into the space between the raised lip on the inside of the grip and the corresponding cutout in the grip frame.

Remove the grip and coat the steel frame at that point with release compound (wax, grease or anything that will prevent epoxy from sticking to it.) Then put a tiny drop of filled epoxy on the plastic grip to fill the gap at that point, place the grip on the frame, make sure it's correctly located and even all around with the opposite grip, and screw it down. Set it aside to dry.

M
pilkguns likes this.

Last edited by MGMike; 02-16-2020 at 11:34 AM.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020, 12:11 PM   #4

noshow Unproven
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
Does the looseness go away entirely when the grip screw is tight? There may well be a torque spec, but an inch-pound wrench will mostly be expensive and gather dust.
The rule of thumb is 'just right', firm but not crazy.
Back to question one; does a snug screw solve the problem, but returns when the screw loosens? If it does, the issue may be a worn grip screw, which can be addressed with blue locktite or a fresh screw and escutcheon.
If a snug screw doesn't solve it, try to judge where the wobble is; may require some filling with epoxy.
Or order up new grips, either copies or wooden replacements.
Moon
The looseness does go away when the screw is snug. Upon shooting, the screw looses it's grip and the rocking appears. I will try the locktight, thank you! Where can I source replacement screws and escutcheons?
noshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:21 PM   #5

Larry D. .22
Is the grip panel slightly warped?
Larry D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:37 PM   #6

halfmoonclip .22
Try Earl's perhaps? But see if the Locktite takes care of it...but only use the blue.
Moon
Duncanppk likes this.
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series