Walther PP extractor installation problem please help - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2020, 11:13 AM   #1

Gunshow70 .22
Walther PP extractor installation problem please help

I recieved all four parts for my extractor and now after 15 or twenty tries and a very sore thumb, I am about ready to give up. I watched U Tube videos on disassembly and assembly of the slide I think I have it right but the spring is just to strong to get the parts in. I could sure use some advice before I turn it over to a gunsmith!
Gunshow70 is online now   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 03-17-2020, 11:21 AM   #2

Gunshow70 .22
I NEED INFORMATION !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunshow70 View Post
I recieved all four parts for my extractor and now after 15 or twenty tries and a very sore thumb, I am about ready to give up. I watched U Tube videos on disassembly and assembly of the slide I think I have it right but the spring is just to strong to get the parts in. I could sure use some advice before I turn it over to a gunsmith!
Has anyone some advice for me? You guy's know your Walthers that's for sure but has anyone here ever removed or replaced their extractor? If so or not Please respond. Am I asking in the wrong group, or should I just abandon hope that I will get a response from this forum? Just an answer!
Gunshow70 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:24 AM   #3

Jimbo80 .22
Turn it over to a 'smith.
Jimbo80 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2020, 02:42 PM   #4

Poloberst .22
Quote:
Has anyone some advice for me? You guy's know your Walthers that's for sure but has anyone here ever removed or replaced their extractor? If so or not Please respond. Am I asking in the wrong group, or should I just abandon hope that I will get a response from this forum? Just an answer!
From what I remember, the firing pin, safety lever and extractor are all tied in together. It was easier with the slide off with those parts removed. Then reasasemble from extractor to safety lever to firing pin.

"This hobby is a continuing education"
Premium paid for for Walther Model 8 #727649 and Walther PP #975557
Poloberst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 03:07 PM   #5
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Puzzled how your post apparently fell between the cracks and went unanswered.

Removal and reinstallation of the extractor is covered pretty thoroughly here: https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/...s-pistols.html

It's easiest for first-timers to accomplish it by removing the safety first.

M
1917-1911M likes this.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:05 PM   #6

1917-1911M .38
Yeah I hate it when that happens and although rare it does happen. Then of course there are those that ask, you prepare a careful answer, sometimes with photos and never hear from them again. Just the way forums work sometimes but it seems the OP really did need a helping hand. 1917
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:11 AM   #7

1917-1911M .38
I didn't notice that GunShow 70 was back yesterday asking. I'm sure I have pictures of this that will likely help. I'm very visual....you can talk all day. I have to see pictures. I think they were way back there with regard to the safety rotating on someone's PP. The photos aren't on the laptop....I'll have to dig em out of the big computer. If that doesn't work I'll just make some new ones. 1917

Meanwhile I've determined how to mount a Shield SMSc to the thin, zinc slide of a P22. I can now use the top of my glasses to place the 4 MOA red dot on target.....well tighter groups than minute of squirrel. Gotta do something while social distancing. Might put one on a PP next.

Last edited by 1917-1911M; 03-18-2020 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:39 PM   #8

1917-1911M .38

OK, where were we? Oh yeah, installing the detent pin, spring, extractor pusher and extractor on a .32 PP pistol. Above is how the extractor should fit against the slide when properly installed. What holds it in position is a spring in a hole that presses a rear pin against the safety drum and a properly positioned extractor pusher pin on the front end. What you are looking at behind the rear of the extractor is the long hood of the front end of the piece that presses against the extractor. It must be positioned correctly. You can stick your finger inside the slide and you should be able to smoothly pivot the extractor tip in and out.

Here are the parts out of the pistol. Take note again or the arrangement of parts on the extractor spring. The rear end fits into detents on the safety drum and makes it click into the fire or safe position. The front end pushes against the outer rear area of the extractor causing it to pivot in. Note how the longer nose of the extractor pin is positioned against the rear of the extractor. It only fits this way. That nose is what you are seeing in the first photo, right behind the extractor.

There are two ways to reinstall the firing pin, ejector spring, and safety drum. An easy way and a hard way. Above is the hard way. The safety drum has to be shoved in from the left side. But two things are in the way. The firing pin and the detent pin at the rear of the extractor spring. It is pretty easy to press the firing pin forward so that the rear of it clears the nose of the safety drum but then you run into the detent pin that is spring loaded to be in the way if you have already assembled the extractor. Since the safety drum fills all of the circular space....leaving no easy access to the rear of the detent pin....pull the extractor and let the pressure off the whole thing so the pin can be shoved forward and into the hole it rides in and out of the way of the safety drum. Now press the firing pin forward, wiggle the safety drum in until seated then let the rear of the firing pin spring back against and into the safety drum. Note, at this point the safety should be easy to rotate with no snapping into safe or fire positions.

Now for the easy part. Take a look at the photo above. What is wrong with the extractor pin as shown? It is not oriented properly. It needs to be rotated so that the long nose is facing the outside of the slide. The flat side faces the inside of the slide. OK, rotate it and make sure it stays there. I should note that before doing this I usually like to press the nose rearward a bit so the assembly will engage the safety drum detents. I then rotate the safety to make sure all is well up to this point.

Now with the whole extractor spring assembly in the hole and with the nose properly oriented, simply place the rear leg of the extractor in the groove provided for the extractor. While holding it down press it rearward against the extractor spring assembly. It should not be hard to slide it rearward. If it is you need to make sure you have the right parts, and that the parts are not damaged. The spring on mine fit pretty tightly over the rear detent plunger. Make sure that part is fully seated into the spring. Fitment of these parts isn't sloppy loose but they aren't tight either. Press the extractor rearward against the nose of the forward part until the rear leg drops into the hole provided for it. The photo above shows the extractor almost home. All I need to do is press it just a little bit more rearward and then down into the slide. The nose piece will snap into place against it. Stick you finger inside the slide and check for smooth movement of the extractor. Then reassemble the slide onto the pistol...load and fire.

Should have gotten the good camera out and some proper lighting but I just got new batteries for my 10 year old Canon SX 280 12 meg point and shoot and wanted to try it out for old times sake. 1917
MGMike, imaoldfart and Redcat94 like this.

Last edited by 1917-1911M; 03-19-2020 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:30 PM   #9
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
This is wonderful even if there is no such word as "orientated".

I don't have any difficulty doing it what you term the "hard" way, using a dental pick to depress the safety detent plunger, but to each his own. The "easy" way works too, for some people better, but I have trouble keeping the extractor plunger oriented. It keeps wanting to rotate out of position.

M
1917-1911M likes this.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:55 AM   #10

153 .22
Olive fork?

"The beggar who is sitting in the marketplace is completely deaf in so much as far as listening to the song that is coming from the Mockingbird is concerned."

Bond's Walther PPK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SimIUgsMQQk

Bond's Beretta: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Bc...ature=youtu.be
153 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series