WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2020, 10:21 AM   #1

Ryscoga .22
Value of West German PPK/s Excellent Condition

Good day all!

I just picked up a W. German PPK/S dated '74. While in the store the gentleman behind the counter noted the condition of the gun and how it was such a rare piece and should be a safe queen. He told me the next day that he even had a friend who was interested in the gun and wanted to trade me a gun and some cash for it. While processing the transfer of the PPK another gentleman wrote his name and number on a business card and told me to call him when I'm ready to sell it.

Given that I love the gun and assume it will only go up in value, I'm not too keen on selling it at the moment, however, it did make me wonder the true value of a nearly perfect ppk/s from west Germany. It is blued, appears to have been fired VERY little if at all (barrel looks spotless), and the only bluing loss is on the sharp corner of the baclstrap (minimal) and the sharp corners near the muzzle (EXTREMELY minimal, can be seen in picture). Ejection port is bright and shiny with a few very light surface level scratches, which you have to look closely to see.

It is chambered in .380, has a laser etched import banner from interaems with the starburst pattern (can anyone date that? Guy at the store told me that's new, but I thought interarms dissolved in '99 and didnt have thr starburst pattern through the 90's at least?). It has the Eagle over N and the Stag markings as well. I always thought the eagle over N was a wartime marking, but given that this is a '74 I suppose that this is incorrect?

Any help on understanding this gun, its markings, background, and especially value would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Ryder
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200207_202424_1581178862618.jpg (119.8 KB, 53 views)
Ryscoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-08-2020, 07:05 PM   #2

Duncanppk .22
PPK/S

Ryder

Nice looking pistol. Did anything come with it? Box, manual, extra magazines or target all add to the value of pistols. Your first paragraph sounds like a sales pitch to some degree. Your pistol is not a war made, or prewar item. However it is an early PPK/S imported after the requirements of the 68 GCA. They are not being made anymore.

Better pictures would help us in helping you. Both sides, any other markings, and better lighting all would help. These are great guns, if not "fixed" by previous owners. They are made to shoot ball ammo. If you decide to shoot it get good quality ball ammo. Many will shoot hollow point ammo, but they can be picky. Shooting will not hurt it. But, the Kens Creamy salad dressing might! Just kidding. Holster wear, too vigorous cleaning and bad storage do more damage to pistols than shooting.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures and then others on the forum can chime in. Best of luck with your new purchase. Get some good cleaning supplies, oils and other items to help care for it. I use EEOX Gun care. It smells a little, but after several coats makes a good, long lasting protective finish on blued pistols.

Duncan

P.S. The starburst Interarms marking is not laser marking. Lasers were not around in the 70's. It is an early Interarms import marking on their pistols.
halfmoonclip likes this.

Last edited by Duncanppk; 02-08-2020 at 07:17 PM.
Duncanppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:51 PM   #3

Ryscoga .22
Thank you very much!

First paragraph wasn't a sales pitch, just giving insight into why I was wondering. As I said I'm not too keen on selling it.

You day firing it won't hurt it, but isn't it true that the barrel will have west too it due to the recoil spring moving as well as bluing loss around the barrel? If not then I will definitely will put some rounds through it!

Regarding original box and goodies, unfortunately none of the came with it. I believe the two mags are original, as one has the extension and one without, neither of which have walther banners, which I understand is correct for the era.

I will be sure to post some new pictures soon so I can get some more info!

Again, I appreciate your time and help!

Ryder

Old 02-08-2020, 07:53 PM   #4

Ryscoga .22
Also, you mentioned over cleaning. Would this pertain primarily to too much scrubbing, or something else? I usually rub my blued guns down with some CLP and then wrap them in a CLP'd clothe. Would that not be good for this gun?
Old 02-08-2020, 08:52 PM   #5

halfmoonclip .22
Just don't get carried away cleaning it, and you will be fine. It need not not be cleaned every time; wipe it down with a silicone cloth, store it somewhere dry in a gun rug.

The .380 truly isn't much fun to shoot...it's rappy...decide what you want to do with the gun.
It's truly too nice to carry (and there are much better alternatives), and hardcore collectors want the box, test target, etc.
What kind of money changed hands when you bought it? It's not a common pistol, but it's not extremely rare. No disrespect; it seems a nice piece.

Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:00 PM   #6

Jimbo80 .22
Don't just stick it in a safe...shoot it.

Value is all over the place. German PPK/S pistols were predominately made for the US market and are not rare. I bought a LNIB PPK/S .22 a couple of months ago for $550. A PPK/S in .22 and .32 is much harder to find than the .380 because they're such good shooters. As you'll soon find out the .380 is not as much fun to shoot because of it's somewhat unpleasant recoil. That being said I sold a .380 not too long ago that was quite similar to yours with box and papers for $1000 and may have left a couple hundred on the table. I bought it for $400 so can't complain. How much you can get for it really depends on when and where you sell it, how fast you need the money, and who you're selling to.
halfmoonclip and GeoNole94 like this.
Jimbo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:38 PM   #7

Ryscoga .22
Thanks for the extra responses. I did buy the gun because I thought I would carry it, but upon receiving the gun it was so nice that I didnt think it would be wise to do so. But what I understand is that it may not be worth to too much, correct? I paid $700 for it.

Also, regarding storage, I live in florida without a safe. I generally store my gun inside within cases, and this one is in a plastic box with foam waffling inside. Is that okay, or should it be stored specifically in a gun rug?

If this thing ain't worth too much more than 1,000 and isn't anticipated to go much higher in value, then I will carry it from time to time.

Ryder
Old 02-08-2020, 10:15 PM   #8

halfmoonclip .22
In minty shape, the price will go up; for a blued example, you did okay.
Give that carry thing some serious thot'. Remember, nothing is harder on a gun (save for dragging it with a log chain) than carrying it close to your body. Then, you might drop it, or it may end up in an evidence locker. And it may not run with hollow points, and you may end up shooting a ton of .380s proving it will run with your chosen load. Let it be a range queen with ball.

Get a G42 to carry, keep the Walther in a rug. Are your digs air conditioned?
Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:53 PM   #9

Ryscoga .22
If it's value will go up, then you're right, Carry isn't for me. I was thinking if it wasn't too valuable then it might be a nice gun to have for carry.

I do want a ppk for Carry though, as I like the trigger and an all steel gun, and I absolutely love the ergonomics of the ppk. I can't stand the glocks. They just dont feel right in my hand.

I do have AC, and I generally have it around 74-77F. Would that be okay in a foam case, or is a gun rig the better option there?
Old 02-08-2020, 11:55 PM   #10

Redcat94 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryscoga View Post
I always thought the eagle over N was a wartime marking, but given that this is a '74 I suppose that this is incorrect?
The eagle/N proof was in use from 1940 until 2014 when it was replaced by CIP/N.

Congratulations on your new PPK/S.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page

pp vsppk

Click on a term to search for related topics.