Picked up a new Fort Smith PPK. - Page 4 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2020, 12:51 PM   #31

BeastyBaiter .22
I don't know the underlying process of how the basic shape is made but can say with certainty that somewhere along the way they are heavily machined. There are zero signs of casting on any part I can see. Everything is finely machined on mine.

On an unrelated note, I picked up a 10/22 takedown from the same dealer I bought my PPK/S First Edition with wood grips from, they have a PPK in stainless with plastic grips, it's $850 + taxes and fees. Mine was only $700. A quick look at gunbroker is showing all of the new production ones going for a couple hundred more than they were when I bought mine. Walther doesn't appear to list an MSRP anymore either. That does strongly imply they are selling well and struggling to keep up with demand.
BeastyBaiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-18-2020, 01:26 PM   #32

Jimmo952 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
I think I've read somewhere that the new Ft Smith PPK is the first American made version that is made around a forged/machined grip rather than a cast one. I could be misremembering so don't quote me on that.
I believe that is true. No MIM either.
Jimmo952 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:42 PM   #33

pgmayr .22
I just got back from the range with my new out of the box stainless Ft Smith PPK. First impressions, fit and finish is superb. The slide is tight. Maybe a little too tight. I put a hundred rounds of ball ammo through the gun. No fails at all. Not alot of recoil, very accurate. The thing I definitely do not like is the extended tang. After about 50 rounds, the top of my thumb became raw. I also own an interarms PPK and I do not experience the thumb issue. The slide did loosen up a bit so its not concerning. Overall, I love it. I will wear a band aid next time i shoot it. I do not want to adjust my grip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg k1.jpg (315.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg k2.jpg (310.7 KB, 17 views)
halfmoonclip and Redcat94 like this.
pgmayr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2020, 05:35 PM   #34

kaptainsims .22
I'm in the process of attempting to get a black one. They've shot up to 800 bucks
kaptainsims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:48 AM   #35
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgmayr View Post
First impressions, fit and finish is superb. The thing I definitely do not like is the extended tang. After about 50 rounds, the top of my thumb became raw. I will wear a band aid next time i shoot it. I do not want to adjust my grip.
Good information, glad it is well made. Someone else here had the same issue and had the tang ground down to match the original PPK design.

I think if I break down and get one that might be my decision, as for me it is also an aesthetic issue as well. Also my PP platform weapons have never given me slide bite and the extended tang hurts the web of my hand.

Still it is great to hear another person say that the new Ft Smith PPK is a good weapon (even with that godawful tang).
halfmoonclip likes this.
olsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:51 AM   #36

No.6 .22
A used First Edition is on gunbroker now: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/857867671
No.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:02 AM   #37

No.6 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by olsoul View Post
Good information, glad it is well made. Someone else here had the same issue and had the tang ground down to match the original PPK design.

I think if I break down and get one that might be my decision, as for me it is also an aesthetic issue as well. Also my PP platform weapons have never given me slide bite and the extended tang hurts the web of my hand.

Still it is great to hear another person say that the new Ft Smith PPK is a good weapon (even with that godawful tang).
The squared off tang does that on mine too. For range purposes an old fingerless glove is fine. With respect to another gun I read of people using moleskin.

I have contemplated a number of choices from Talon grip tape (maybe over other tape, itís too thin by itself), bicycle gel cork (if I learned how to affix it so it stuck but could be removed) to mocking up a thin underlay to the grip or just buying a Hogue rubber beavertail (the G42 one?).

I keep away from sanding because itís too nice to mar, although I went as far as doing a practice run on the back spine of an old old beater katana which went perfectly. (400/800/1000 grit, wet)
No.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:20 AM   #38
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by No.6 View Post
I keep away from sanding because itís too nice to mar, although I went as far as doing a practice run on the back spine of an old old beater katana which went perfectly. (400/800/1000 grit, wet)
A good smith knows how to remove metal and match the finish. Heck even I can do it but I'd send it to my armorer for grind down and finishing. He's better than I'd ever be. I know my skill set and that isn't one of them.
olsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:36 AM   #39

PeterA .22
I took the edge off the sharp corners on my new PPK/S with fine sand paper. You cant even notice it unless you look closely. It's just a polished line along the edge. It was enough to do the job. You can wrap the sand paper on a dowel so you don't go beyond the edge.

By the way, I did the same thing on my glock 19. The surface of the frame that hits my thumb was rough and was being a problem.
halfmoonclip likes this.

Last edited by PeterA; 02-29-2020 at 08:40 AM.
PeterA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:26 PM   #40

andy640 .22
Smile

I recently bought a Ft. Smith PPK/S in black and had the same problem with the long tang chewing up the web of my hand. For cosmetic reasons, I wanted to replace the black grips with something nicer, so I bought the Hogue grips in Cocobolo. I found them to be a little wider and more hand filling than the factory grips. Not only are they more comfortable, I was surprised to find that the tang no longer bit me. I'm not sure why, but my best guess is that the new grips put my hand in a slightly different position and that has eliminated the tang bit. My hands are average size with short stubby fingers, so it might not work for everyone, but I'm a happy camper with my PPK/S now.
andy640 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page

walther ppk/s fort smith

walther ppks production 2020

Click on a term to search for related topics.