Picked up a new Fort Smith PPK. - Page 3 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2020, 11:56 AM   #21

halfmoonclip .22
Jimmo, that's not a bad idea. Colt has taken that path with its 1911s, and S&W has re-issued some older models...tho', as always, they're not quite the same. The issue for traditionalists with the Walther is that godawful tang, no matter its ergonomic merits.
Austin', can't speak for the others cited, but the SIG is somewhat larger. Had one; it was more pleasant to shoot than the Walther. But there's no need to wrestle with straight blowback; modern locked breech guns are simply more reliable and more pleasant to shoot.
I believe the SIG is out of production, but used ones are out there for those who really have to have the alloy framed blowback .380.
Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is online now   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-05-2020, 12:41 PM   #22

Jimmo952 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
Jimmo, that's not a bad idea. Colt has taken that path with its 1911s, and S&W has re-issued some older models...tho', as always, they're not quite the same. The issue for traditionalists with the Walther is that godawful tang, no matter its ergonomic merits.
Austin', can't speak for the others cited, but the SIG is somewhat larger. Had one; it was more pleasant to shoot than the Walther. But there's no need to wrestle with straight blowback; modern locked breech guns are simply more reliable and more pleasant to shoot.
I believe the SIG is out of production, but used ones are out there for those who really have to have the alloy framed blowback .380.
Moon
Hello Halfmoon. Yes, they would have to manufacture two frames, one with and one without the tang. Two slides, one with the fixed 1920-30s style sights and one with a dovetailed front. Maybe a wider rear notch but it could remain fixed.

So there would be some changes but they would be fairly minimal.

The sharp edges shouldn't be there on any version.

They could also do things like a prettier finish on the "Classic" version of the gun.

As you point out Colt, Smith and others do similar things.
halfmoonclip likes this.
Jimmo952 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:49 PM   #23

Jimbo80 .22
I would think remaking a classic PPK (if they even could) is way to expensive a proposition for todays mass market. I can't really see collectors being enticed into buying a new one when plenty of really nice examples are available.

I have said before that IMO Walther would be better served with a totally redesigned poly PPK for todays CCW market. A modernized pistol with a retro look could be a real winner for them.
Jimbo80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2020, 07:17 AM   #24

Jimmo952 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo80 View Post
I would think remaking a classic PPK (if they even could) is way to expensive a proposition for todays mass market. I can't really see collectors being enticed into buying a new one when plenty of really nice examples are available.

I have said before that IMO Walther would be better served with a totally redesigned poly PPK for todays CCW market. A modernized pistol with a retro look could be a real winner for them.
For a "classic" version of the PPK, I'm really just talking a frame without the exaggerated tang and maybe, maybe a nicer finish. That melonite black is utilitarian and practical but looks utilitarian and practical.

The "nose" seems to be the thing that is the biggest esthetic turnoff.

I know I'm trivializing it but producing a run of frames without the nose does not seem a major undertaking.
Jimmo952 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:13 PM   #25

StuG Unproven
Did Walther change their boxes or is this a "collector" box of some sort?

I was looking at auctions on GB and noticed some auctions had this really nice box set compared to the basic plastic box on others.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/856705466

Redcat94 likes this.
StuG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:05 PM   #26

Yoxford .22
Yes, new box and packaging for 2020 PPK.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:45 PM   #27

Redcat94 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuG View Post
I was looking at auctions on GB and noticed some auctions had this really nice box set
Why does it look like it has an extended, non-threaded barrel ? It's advertised as 3.6" which is still too short for it to be for Canada.

Last edited by Redcat94; 02-16-2020 at 02:10 AM.
Redcat94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:50 AM   #28

Balogh .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcat94 View Post
Why does it look like it has an extended, non-threaded barrel ?
The slide stays open a little bit because of the security snap cap in the chamber.
Redcat94 likes this.
Balogh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:44 AM   #29
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmo952 View Post

I know I'm trivializing it but producing a run of frames without the nose does not seem a major undertaking.
Actually it would be a considerable expense. Since the frame is an investment casting, in order to give the tang a more graceful contour by reducing its size, it's not a matter of smaller molds but larger ones.

This is because the investment casting process works in reverse. The steel dies that produce the wax "positive" around which the casting shell is formed (and from which the wax is then melted out) would inversely have to have material added to the inside surfaces of the dies. Possibly the pouring gates might also have to be repositioned.

Essentially this means new dies, and they are very expensive.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:17 AM   #30

Kar98 .22
I think I've read somewhere that the new Ft Smith PPK is the first American made version that is made around a forged/machined grip rather than a cast one. I could be misremembering so don't quote me on that.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page

walther ppk/s fort smith

walther ppks production 2020

Click on a term to search for related topics.