WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2020, 07:42 PM   #11

Austin Powers .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmo952 View Post
I'd pay a little more for a version of the PPK that's dehorned, has a wider rear sight and a dovetailed high visibility front sight.

They could call it the "special carry edition" or some such. !
I recall a certain article by a certain publication (American Hundgunner?) calling for the exact same thing.

Personally, I think that if they're going to go that far then they might as well take it a step further and build one with a lightweight aluminum alloy frame.

If they could get the PPK down to 16oz unloaded, with Hi-Viz sights and some polished edges, then they would really have something to get excited over.

I think the original PPK/L would have stayed in production if it weren't for the worthless Gun Control Act rendering it ineligible for import into the USA, so a revival in .380 ACP with better sights would likely be a hot seller stateside. And before someone argues to the contrary, please turn your attention to the SIG P238, which in spite of being essentially just a Colt Mustang Pocketlite, based on the even older design of the M1911, has been a hot seller for SIGsauer for over a decade now.
I've entrusted my life to a S&W PPK/S-1, it may not be able to stop the illusive 7ft/300Lbs+ Meth Head wearing 5 layers of denim and wielding a car door as a shield, but I'm fairly certain I can outrun such a beast, especially after dumping 7 rounds of .380 ACP into him.
Austin Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-01-2020, 10:31 AM   #12

Balogh .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Powers View Post
I think the original PPK/L would have stayed in production if it weren't for the worthless Gun Control Act rendering it ineligible for import into the USA, so a revival in .380 ACP with better sights would likely be a hot seller stateside.
The PPK-L, that's the correct name, was never offered in .380 probably because of the limitations of the alloy frame.
halfmoonclip likes this.
Balogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:16 PM   #13

153 .22
An aluminum frame .380 PPK would wreck your hand and the pistol would beat itself to death in short order. The PPK is a bit long in the tooth to try and modernize it to be truly relevant in the 21st century.

The new long grip tang is bad enough as a modern concession to “shoot-ability”. Adding wide fiber optic sights and maybe some laminate finger groove stocks might seem like improvements, but IMO by then you’re better off with the Colt.
halfmoonclip and gts350 like this.

"The beggar who is sitting in the marketplace is completely deaf in so much as far as listening to the song that is coming from the Mockingbird is concerned."

Bond's Walther PPK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SimIUgsMQQk

Bond's Beretta: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Bc...ature=youtu.be
153 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2020, 06:34 PM   #14

Kar98 .22
Right? Like, either get the PPK as it's offered now or an older one, but if you want something more modern, there is the Glock 42 and 43, or the various micro 1911s if your preference is metal.
halfmoonclip likes this.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:25 PM   #15

gts350 .22
Quote:
I recall a certain article by a certain publication (American Hundgunner?) calling for the exact same thing.

Personally, I think that if they're going to go that far then they might as well take it a step further and build one with a lightweight aluminum alloy frame.

If they could get the PPK down to 16oz unloaded, with Hi-Viz sights and some polished edges, then they would really have something to get excited over.

And before someone argues to the contrary, please turn your attention to the SIG P238, which in spite of being essentially just a Colt Mustang Pocketlite, based on the even older design of the M1911, has been a hot seller for SIGsauer for over a decade now.
153 is correct the gun would trash your hand and beat up the frame. You can't compare a gun with a Locked Breech to a Blowback design. It's the exact reason I replaced my PPK with a Sig P238 and couldn't be more happy and I know several people who did the same.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Last edited by gts350; 02-02-2020 at 01:05 PM.
gts350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:11 AM   #16

halfmoonclip .22
Substituting alloy for steel in a .380 PPK would not be a gimmie.
The .380s already snappy recoil would be worse, and the frame would take a beating from the slide.
Now if they wanted to make a .32 PPK-L, that would be interesting. Except some glutton for punishment would demand it in .380...
The PPK is limited by its blowback action; other alloy framed pistols are generally locked breech. If you really have to have an alloy framed .380, the SIG 230 is Waltheresque.
Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."

Last edited by halfmoonclip; 02-04-2020 at 12:26 AM.
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:37 AM   #17

Austin Powers .22
For all the folks saying that an aluminum alloy framed PPK in .380 ACP wouldn't last or would be unbearably painful to shoot...

FEG PMK/SMC-380
SIG P232
Bersa Thunder 380cc

These are all straight blowback, aluminum alloy framed pistols chambered in .380 ACP, and I've never heard any complaints of them beating themselves to death nor breaking the hands of shooters.

So although the Duralumin frames of the original PPK/L may not have been strong enough to withstand a steady diet of .380 ACP, it is most certainly possible that Walther could build a PPK/L in .380 ACP using modern aluminum alloys.
Jimmo952 likes this.
I've entrusted my life to a S&W PPK/S-1, it may not be able to stop the illusive 7ft/300Lbs+ Meth Head wearing 5 layers of denim and wielding a car door as a shield, but I'm fairly certain I can outrun such a beast, especially after dumping 7 rounds of .380 ACP into him.
Austin Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:45 PM   #18

Wildtoad .22
Does anyone here know what the buy rate is for NEW PPK or PPK/S pistols is? Seems to me with so much competition in the CCW / small pistols, that there would have to be a strong reason for Walther to build another .380 version of what they already got. If they were looking to build another PPK then perhaps a .32 could be a good seller, but then a lot of people say .32 is not a good choice for protection. I’d buy one but I’m just one guy who thinks the new/modern pistols aren’t that attractive.

Walther (2009) PPK .380, (2013) PPK/S .22, Ruger (2017) LCP .380, Henry (2017) Mares Leg .22
Wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:06 PM   #19

Balogh .22
Quote:
...it is most certainly possible that Walther could build a PPK/L in .380 ACP using modern aluminum alloys.
If this were the case, then hopefully they would call it PPK-L to avoid further confusion. Walther never used the spelling with a slash (unlike PPK/S or PPK/E).
Balogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:31 PM   #20

Jimmo952 .22
This new PPK seems a decent pistol. They are not going to make the collectors of the old guns happy with it. They are not going to make the guys wanting a viable carry gun with it.

Walther chose a middle ground with the gun. Kind of old timely but not true to the old gun either. Kind of modernized but maybe not enough to really be practical.

My humble opinion is they should have come out with two versions. One as close to the old guns as possible. They other with some features people actually carrying them might appreciate like more usable sights.

Who knows. Might still.happen.
halfmoonclip likes this.
Jimmo952 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page

walther ppk/s fort smith

walther ppks production 2020

Click on a term to search for related topics.