Seeking information on an inherited PPK - Page 4 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2020, 06:45 PM   #31

Duncanppk .22
PPK

It sounds life you are starting to develop Walther Fever. Good and bad as time goes by. The good is the understanding of a wonderful pistol, developed by the hands of fine craftsmen long ago. The bad is the habit to never driving by a gun shop without stopping to see what came in over the least couple of days.

As said above, these were made for a purpose, to fire. Not to sit in a safe or hidden from view. In my opinion the Walther PP pistols are the most pleasant to shoot and the ones that leaves a smile on my face every time I do.

I have never seen a pistol or revolver damaged by firing, if goog quality ammo is used, in a sensible way. Yes, the grips are fragile on some older weapons, but is is not rocket science to change grips for range use. Enjoy it for what it was made for.

Duncan
Jimbo80 likes this.
Duncanppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-10-2020, 08:22 PM   #32

Matt95 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncanppk View Post
It sounds life you are starting to develop Walther Fever. Good and bad as time goes by. The good is the understanding of a wonderful pistol, developed by the hands of fine craftsmen long ago. The bad is the habit to never driving by a gun shop without stopping to see what came in over the least couple of days.

As said above, these were made for a purpose, to fire. Not to sit in a safe or hidden from view. In my opinion the Walther PP pistols are the most pleasant to shoot and the ones that leaves a smile on my face every time I do.

I have never seen a pistol or revolver damaged by firing, if goog quality ammo is used, in a sensible way. Yes, the grips are fragile on some older weapons, but is is not rocket science to change grips for range use. Enjoy it for what it was made for.

Duncan
Thanks Duncan, I am definitely developing Walther fever. These old PPK’s just look incredible and I bet they shoot even better. I’ve just had so many differing opinions on whether or not to shoot it that Im second guessing myself. Thanks again man
Matt95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:36 AM   #33

Duncanppk .22
PPK

Matt,

If you haven't seen it Halfmoon has a thread going called "Wartime PPK". There is a lot of info on grips. Pick up some that match your pistol and switch them out. Like I said, it's not rocket science". Pick up a couple of boxes of Winchester White Box ammo and have some fun. Store the original grips in a safe place so you can have them for memories.

Keep it stored in a safe place, cleaned and lubed in a pistol rug that will not allow nicks or rust to damage it. Your pistol will then give you a lifetime of use. And it will be as good as it is now to teach your new son in the future.

Duncan
Jimbo80 likes this.
Duncanppk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2020, 07:56 AM   #34
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
Matt, got mine off without too much drama (I was gentle...), but they are fragile.
With the family history of the pistol, and the condition, maybe just don't mess with it.
Moon
One of these days I am going to acquire a hopelessly warped, shrunken or cracked pre-1945 PPK grip made of Trolit and subject it to a form of water torture (in the name of science, of course), knowing that it might turn out to be destructive. I want to know what if any change in strength, dimension or stability might be achieved by soaking or boiling it in water.

M
halfmoonclip likes this.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:58 PM   #35

halfmoonclip .22
Mike, interesting thot'. Mine are entirely intact, with a small crack by the beavertail. It would be interesting to see if slight warpage could be corrected with moderate heat/moisture.

For those not familiar with the original grips, they were molded in one piece with a steel insert in the backstrap. They slightly spread for installation or removal. A grip screw in the usual spot finishes the job.

The 'spreading' business (or gun recoil) is where the mischief comes in; the bakeliteish plastic (Trolit?) is fragile and brittle...which is why I was hesitant to tell a rookie to remove them, or shoot such a minty gun.

The replacements I found were two piece.

Matt, the challenge is finding a .32 iteration, which are much nicer to shoot than the current-production .380s.

Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series