Crunching the 380 a ballistics analysis (Part I) - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2020, 09:33 PM   #1

No.6 .22
After too long of a delay, I've finally started grinding out the words behind the study I've done of .380 ACP rounds, and posted part one.

Yes, this is a bit of a blog pimping, but as I have no ads or monetization, one can hardly call it self-serving … it's just that there's too many words to make a good forum post.

A short excerpt:
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Our ideal round is not necessarily the same as the officer’s – but there are many similarities. If we’re forced to shoot in self-defense (presuming our threat doesn’t quit, run away, or hide) we very much need our action to stop the threat – maybe more so, as we may not have an armed partner and government behind us. Accordingly, on ammunition sites and YouTube vloggers alike the barrier tests are usually not replicated, and you’ll find tests largely involving bare gel or denim/cloth/fleece “heavy clothing” (and the occasional bag of oranges). This set of articles uses the 12″-18″ FBI standard, not because the .380 ACP is a duty round, but because some objective standard is better than none. When making your own choice, keep in mind this is about personal defense, not duty.

...this study doesn’t “trust” or “distrust” Shooting the Bull 410, Lucky Gunner, or any other author. It pulls together 330+ rounds from 12 different authors, 12 different firearms, and 29 different types of ammunition, all in .380 ACP.
Full article at http://www.wereratgames.com along with a prior bit I'd posted, which has nothing at all to do with arms but is a data science item about simulation racing.

Anyway enjoy, and I'm looking forward to cranking the rest of it out in intervals of less than a week each so this wordy intro doesn't get stale.
jeff0380 likes this.

Last edited by No.6; 01-16-2020 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Bad URL
No.6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-15-2020, 11:09 PM   #2
Supporting Member

1942bull .22
Having heavily researched 9mm and 380 ACP ballistics through barriers I clicked on your link. I clicked on it six times. Th last time I waited for to minutes. No commotion. I will try again later.

USMC: 1959 to 1969
Vietnam: 2 tours as combat photographer
Pursuits: photography and videography
1942bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:44 AM   #3

No.6 .22
Argh ... Azure fails me here. Use http:// (no S) or https://wereratgames.azurewebsites.net/ and it’s still not fast.
No.6 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2020, 11:05 AM   #4

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Link won't load for me.
I actually just started carrying a backup in 380acp.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AMTBackup380.jpg (105.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-16-2020, 01:05 PM   #5
Supporting Member

1942bull .22
The new link works (slow). I began reading and came to an important error in the beginning.

You wrote: “The officer has a duty to protect the public,……”

That is not tru since June of 2005 when “The Supreme Court ruled on Monday that the police did not have a constitutional duty to protect a person from harm.”
(US Supreme Court June 20015)

Source of the above quotation

Now I will go back to reading your writing.

USMC: 1959 to 1969
Vietnam: 2 tours as combat photographer
Pursuits: photography and videography
1942bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:59 PM   #6

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
The ONLY time “The officer has a duty to protect the public,……” applies, is when LEO has a member of "the public" in custody.

If a citizen is NOT informed they're under arrest and handcuffed, the CITIZEN is where the buck stops in regard to their/loved ones safety.
1942bull likes this.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:30 PM   #7

leadcounsel .22
Why bother? Physics will enlighten ya. Same diameter bullet. But the 9x19 is heavier and goes faster. Simple physics tells us it will deliver more energy and penetrate deeper and do more damage to bones and muscles and organs.

I can see no reason to carry a .380 when the 9mm is available, generally at a cheaper price and with better bullet selections, and generally in better guns (blowbacks vs. browning rotating/locking breach).

So, generally same size guns but 9x19 is cheaper, better gun designs, and more effective...
leadcounsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:00 PM   #8

PeterA .22
They can't make blowback in 9X19. Pressures are too high. Most modern guns use a locked breach.
OmegaJB likes this.
PeterA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:56 PM   #9

Hasaf .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
I can see no reason to carry a .380 when the 9mm is available, generally at a cheaper price and with better bullet selections, and generally in better guns (blowbacks vs. browning rotating/locking breach).

So, generally same size guns but 9x19 is cheaper, better gun designs, and more effective...
I have Five 380acp pistols (Okay, I will toss the Makarov in the pile and say six). The Makarov (actually 9x18, but it is really close to 9x17) if the only blowback pistol of the lot.

This idea that 380 pistols are all blowback is way behind the current market.
halfmoonclip likes this.
Hasaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:21 AM   #10

leadcounsel .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasaf View Post
I have Five 380acp pistols (Okay, I will toss the Makarov in the pile and say six). The Makarov (actually 9x18, but it is really close to 9x17) if the only blowback pistol of the lot.

This idea that 380 pistols are all blowback is way behind the current market.
Okay fine.

But what is GAINED by a smaller and more expensive bullet with less offerings?
leadcounsel is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series