Comparability of new Mec-gar magazines with early 1960's vintage PPK. - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By BlitzPig
  • 1 Post By Martin
  • 1 Post By mtcstle
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-11-2020, 02:49 PM   #1

Pnw_steve .22
Comparability of new Mec-gar magazines with early 1960's vintage PPK.

Hey Everyone,

I have managed to keep and use the two magazines that came with my PPK new until last week. I left an empty mag at the range. When I realized it and went back to retrieve it, it was gone 😞

Can anyone tell me if the new PPK .380 from Mec-gar are compatible? Any fitting or tuning needed?

Also, there are two different ones offered on Cheaper than Dirt. The descriptions appear identical but one is two dollars cheaper. Any clue what the difference is?

Thanks.
Pnw_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Unread 01-12-2020, 11:13 AM   #2

BlitzPig .22
Well, if it's any indicator, the new MecGar PPK/S mags work in my 1937 PP just fine.
halfmoonclip likes this.
Unread 01-12-2020, 11:24 AM   #3

Pnw_steve .22
Thank you.

I know that the PPK you can buy new today has some differences from mine but, other than the pin, I have no idea what the differences are.

I may go ahead and order one and test drive it.
Pnw_steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-12-2020, 12:23 PM   #4

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
I would be surprised if a Mec-Gar mag designed, produced, and listed for a specific model firearm, failed to function.

I ordered a few Mec-Gar mags for my early production 1900 DWM Am Eagle Luger (7.65x21/AKA; 30 Luger), both mags performed flawlessly, even locking back the toggle on the empty mag.

Didn't want to risk damaging the 120yr old mags wooden bases (this is a display cased firearm in the man cave).
Unread 01-12-2020, 12:38 PM   #5

Martin .22
Price difference could be caused by different magazine extensions.
halfmoonclip likes this.
Unread 01-12-2020, 09:37 PM   #6

1917-1911M .38
I purchased some for a .32 pp and they worked fine. Then a few months ago I did some experimenting on mags...making various and sundry non Walther mags work in a .22 PP. That all went well and the steel in all of them was pretty tough and withstood drilling, bending, etc. For some reason I worked on one of the Mecgar mags and the metal was very brittle. The mags work 100% in the .32 PP but the Walther mag steel is not as brittle as the steel in the Mecgars. I don't know if it is the steel or some type of hardening process. Again, I had no problem with the function of the Mecgar mags. 1917
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2020, 11:05 AM   #7
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
I purchased some for a .32 pp and they worked fine. Then a few months ago I did some experimenting on mags...making various and sundry non Walther mags work in a .22 PP. That all went well and the steel in all of them was pretty tough and withstood drilling, bending, etc. For some reason I worked on one of the Mecgar mags and the metal was very brittle. The mags work 100% in the .32 PP but the Walther mag steel is not as brittle as the steel in the Mecgars. I don't know if it is the steel or some type of hardening process. Again, I had no problem with the function of the Mecgar mags. 1917
They're brittle because they're hardened. It's done deliberately, to resist bending by experimenters and deformation from rough handling.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 06:24 PM   #8

mtcstle .22
Interarms PPK/S 9mm kurz (.380) 1970

My PPK/S is stamped "70", on the chamber indicating 1970 production. I bought two Mec-Gar magazines w/finger grips, blue steel, a couple of weeks ago because the price was right. They both work flawlessly. YMMV.
John
mtcstle is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series