PP Gunsmithing resources? - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM   #1

dcaven .22
PP Gunsmithing resources?

I am brand new to Walthers but not to shooting. I have found a pre War Walther PP 7.65 in both excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition. Some little old lady only drove it to church on Sundays.

What led me to the pistol is I am currently enamored with the idea of a larger, steel frame pistol that shoots a very light caliber. I wish to build on the Mozambique drill and feel that is the right recipe for very fast, accurate three shot patterns.

Both the double action and single action trigger pull on these weapons seem very heavy. The drill would really be optimized with at least a very light single action trigger. I understand both DA/SA are adjusted together on PPs.

I'm looking for a detailed gunsmithing book that will give clear instructions for making this adjustment. I also want to make sure the reset is very short. Finally, I want to understand the limits in terms of safety. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

David
dcaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM   #2

1917-1911M .38
I think you are looking at the wrong pistol for what you are saying you want. There are a variety of M1911's in lighter calibers for shooting and training. Perhaps a P5 in some flavor. Most modern full size Walthers are polymer except the new steel PPQ. I'm sure the Members here will have a list of ideas. M1911
GeoNole94 and Duncanppk like this.
1917-1911M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM   #3

Duncanppk .22
Put your PP on the WTS listing on this forum. With pictures you will have members burning up the listing quickly. A pre war PP is not what you want for this type of practice. I agree with 1911 that there are many pistols that would be much better. Use the money to get one of them that will meet your needs. A quick suggesting, if you want a classic, wood and steel pistol would be a Browning Hi Power.

Duncan
Duncanppk is online now   Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM   #4

1917-1911M .38
A pre war .32 PP in excellent condition is an excellent pistol to own and shoot. I wouldn't even think of tinkering with it. I am doubtful there is any book on hammer/sear work you are asking about. It isn't a design that lends itself to such work. I don't consider a PP a larger, steel framed pistol.???. Are you considering it as such or are you after a full size pistol? You want a DA/SA steel pistol with instructions on how to lower trigger pull in both modes....is that the question? How about polymer, how about a DA/SA P99 AS? Striker fired but a decocking lever on top of the slide puts it in a decocked DA mode. 1917
1917-1911M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM   #5

dcaven .22
I like 1911's and have two. I am not aware of one offered in .32. I like the Colt 1903 in .32 but am not wild about the trigger. I have a Sig Sauer that is DA/SA and like that set up. I understand the Walther is not a large frame pistol but it is compared to current .32s on the market. Being all steel and relatively heavy, it should have very, very light recoil which is what I'm looking for. I prefer the .32 to the .380 and want to find something that meets these criteria. Thanks.
Old Yesterday, 10:34 PM   #6

Jimbo80 .22
If you like .32 you should look at one of the police surplus Beretta 81/81BB pistols that are selling for under $200. If you break it you can get another one.
GeoNole94 and dcaven like this.
Jimbo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:10 AM   #7

dcaven .22
I find it hard to believe a PP is the wrong pistol to practice the Mozambique drill or that a detailed book on their gunsmithing does not exist.
Old Today, 10:42 AM   #8

Kar98 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaven View Post
I find it hard to believe a PP is the wrong pistol to practice the Mozambique drill or that a detailed book on their gunsmithing does not exist.
I do shoot my P.38 from 1942 just because it's so much fun. But not every week, and I certainly don't run drills with it. That would be like wearing camo and muddy boots to the opera. Or rather going mud wrestling in a tuxedo. Or taking a mint 1929 Bentley to the demolition derby.
And bubba-smithing it to fit that usage would be so plain dumb, I find it hard to believe you're not trolling.
pilkguns and Duncanppk like this.
Kar98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:16 AM   #9

GeoNole94 .22
Just to expound on what others have said, a PP is certainly not what I would call a “larger” steel pistol, it is fairly compact, and is really isn’t a design prone to this kind of tweaking. I agree with Jimbo, a surplus Beretta 81 might be a better choice, and it is definitely much less expensive and less sacrilegious if something goes wrong. For that matter, buy two of the Berettas at the current prices and you are still looking at around half the money of a decent PP.
pilkguns likes this.
Old Today, 11:28 AM   #10

dcaven .22
I do not plan on doing the work myself. I simply want to understand the process by reading about it in a gunsmithing book. While I understand your point, it is simply not possible to find a single action .32 that approaches the size and weight of either a Colt 1903 or a Walther PP. There is nothing wrong with exploring ideas and I think the basic concept is sound. I will never be able to execute a three shot pattern as quickly with a .45 as I could with what I am envisioning. The only missing piece is the light trigger. A well executed pattern negates any kind of caliber argument. If Keltec made what I am looking for I would happily buy it. They don't. The Berretta 81 would be a very good option if it were single stack. Good size, good weight, great price and not a fancy pistol. Too wide for discreet carry in my opinion. I'm not trolling, I'm trying to think through an idea. In the end, you may be correct. I plan to consider the idea and will then make my own decision. The reflexive move towards larger caliber pistols is just that, reflexive. I'm sure plenty of people wish they had not been hit by a .32 let alone two to the chest and one to the head.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series