TPH Frustration - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2020, 12:47 PM   #11

Grayfox .22
I make no claims to being a Gunsmith. However I am a fairly talented hobbyist and retired mechanic. I know my limits and what I can actually do. So don't worry that I might "Bubba" the gun.That won't happen. I'm just thinking that maybe smoothing the action a bit might give the hammer fall just enough extra to reliably set off the primer. I'm thinking primarily polishing the hammer strut to eliminate any possible drag.
Anyway, its just a thought and I haven't committed to anything just yet.
Messages sent to both pilkguns and M&M Gunsmithing. Right now I'm just waiting to see what happens. However, bear in mind that cost is a real concern here.
halfmoonclip likes this.
Grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-10-2020, 01:03 PM   #12
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Do these misfires occur on single-action as well as double-action?

M
pilkguns likes this.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:20 PM   #13

pilkguns .22
Thanks for the kudos. But I’m not looking to be in the gunsmithing business on these per se. I do have quite a few of them and slowly doing functional and cosmetic things to offer for sale.
Most everything I would check or look for has been mentioned here already. CCI mini mags or stingers seem to be the ticket for reliability as others have said. If you are having trouble with those and all the other things are checked ,( the mentioned ring in the chamber is often overlooked) then it gets to be a serious hunt. I wouldn’t want to begin to comment beyond what’s been said already without shooting it from my hand and examine first hand the stoppages. But as I said , I’m not trying to be in that market. M&M is the market expert to send it to.
halfmoonclip likes this.

A gun and a parachute have a common dynamic, if you need one, nothing else will really suffice.
http://learntoengrave.com
pilkguns is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2020, 01:31 PM   #14

pilkguns .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayfox View Post
I . I'm thinking primarily polishing the hammer strut to eliminate any possible drag.

You should be able to see wear evidence of that if you disassemble the spring from the strut.

I certainly have seen Gadsden parts that were not deburred 100%. But burrs only are a problem when they are in critical places.

A gun and a parachute have a common dynamic, if you need one, nothing else will really suffice.
http://learntoengrave.com
pilkguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:03 PM   #15

Grayfox .22
Pilkguns: thank you for your input Sir.

Quote:
Do these misfires occur on single-action as well as double-action?
Yes, the misfires are in both DA and SA.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:23 PM   #16

Jimbo80 .22
All the problems with the .22 make me glad that I have a .25 TPH. It has been flawless.
halfmoonclip likes this.
Jimbo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:23 PM   #17

1917-1911M .38
I would test with CCI Mini Mags only. You have an ignition problem for some reason. .22 ammo has to be struck hard....the first time. When trying to decide if you have an ammo or gun issue....leave the Remingtons, Feds and Winchester on the table.

If you have other .22 pistols that reliably fire then you can compare the firing pin mark on those to the ones you are getting even on the rounds that fire the first time. Perhaps your TPH just isn't hitting hard enough for reliable ignition. Some fire, some don't...hitting just hard enough to be on the edge. You have to begin somewhere and go from there. Sticking with one ammo that is generally agreed to be a good one is important.

On a side note...I ground off just a tad...probably 0.005" from the main spring on a Smith Bodyguard .380 to see if I could reduce DA pull a bit. I did, I also caused the 100% pistol to now be about a 60% reliable pistol. Light strikes....two or three firing pin strikes would fire a round. Many would fire first strike. Note: Centerfire ammo. Stuck a new mainspring back in it and it fired 100%. Then I left it alone.

It seems to me that either all of your strikes are light, or for some reason a round isn't fully seating and is giving with the first strike. Photos??? 1917

PS..I have $100 and a FFL address....
pilkguns likes this.
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:43 PM   #18

1917-1911M .38
It seems that on the Smith I was able to slip a small washer over the bottom of the mainspring strut to temporarily strengthen the too weak spring. That worked to show I had screwed it up by grinding off a bit. Who would have thought....just a tiny bit? Any gunsmith I expect. Not sure if the same could be done on a TPH or not. 1917
Old 01-10-2020, 06:09 PM   #19

Grayfox .22
Light strikes does seem to be the problem. But I've already put in a Wolff extra power hammer spring and nothing seems to be rough or gritty in the hammer function. I've replaced the firing pin and it freely moves to full travel. I'm lost here.
halfmoonclip likes this.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:37 PM   #20

1917-1911M .38

Had this picture already hosted of P22 strikes on a Federal round. I also picked up some CCI and Rem cases off the floor and the strikes don't seem quite as deep as on the Federal but they are pretty deep. There is no telling if they are from a PP .22, a PPK/S .22 or a P22 at this point. Whatever...I do not see a depth difference between the Rem Goldens and CCI...either quiets or mini mags. 1917

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series