WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By MGMike

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2019, 07:50 PM   #1

Phantomrider09 .22
Please help with identity of PP

I have read a few dozen posts and still have no answers. I inherited a pp chambered in .32. According to other pages on the forum the serial number letters identified the year made. Problem is no letters.....I’m attaching pictures. If anyone could please help me with year and location of manufacturing. I called Walther and they were only able to tel me the factory with records was destroyed when I gave them the serial number. Thanks a lot it had a lot of sentimental value so I want to learn about it
Phantomrider09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 10-20-2019, 08:27 PM   #2

Duncanppk .22
PP identity

You have a PP made in 1938 at the ZM factory that was captured by US troops in 1945. They returned to the American zone and the Soviets took over the plant. Machinery was shipped out and the factory destroyed. I didn't see anything that shows it other than a civilian model. Many were brought by German officers and used in the war, but not accepted into the army inventory.

Nice pistol, some wear, but in pretty good shape. Clean and oil it and if necessary checked by a smith for function. Then enjoy it. I hope you have some information on when, where and by whom it was picked up. Keep it in the family if possible.

Duncan
Duncanppk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:34 PM   #3

Kar98 .22
Minor nitpick: the Americans, who had advanced all the way to the Elbe River withdrew to the previously agreed upon zones of occupation and handed the captured area over to the Soviets, in return for a share of the Soviet occupied Berlin.
Kar98 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2019, 08:54 PM   #4

Phantomrider09 .22
I love the history that you guys know. Short version is my grandfathers older brother got it during ww2 then my grandfather stole it from him in the 50’s and it was wrapped in a pant leg and didn’t see daylight until a few months ago.
Phantomrider09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:01 PM   #5
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
It was made in the heyday of Walther prewar quality; they don't come any better than that.

I'd rather have one of those with lots of blue wear than a pristine postwar example.

M
pilkguns and Duncanppk like this.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:37 PM   #6

jujonte .22
If you look on the inside of the slide, opposite the ejection port there's a real good chance you'll find the last three digits of the s/n scratched into the slide. Common if the s/n isn't stamped on the pistol slide. You'll probably need a light but check it from a few different angles. I always thought it added to the gun.
jujonte is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series