.380...why the distaste? - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2019, 03:45 PM   #11

DE Pistole .22
The .380 PPK (PPK/S) is easier to admire than shoot. That is why so many nearly new ones end up being traded, sold or kept in the safe to be rarely fired. Learning to shoot these fine pistols takes patience and acknowledgement of their design imposed gripping and ammunition requirements/limitations.
Jimmo952 and Duncanppk like this.
DE Pistole is online now   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 10-20-2019, 04:05 PM   #12

Austin Powers .22
It's not always so much that folks are saying .380 ACP isn't enough so much as they're saying the PP is too much gun for the cartridge, and there is some truth to that considering that there are .380 ACP pistols which are considerably smaller and lighter than the PP.
However, as someone who owns both a PPK/S and a LCP, I can safely say that I shoot the PPK/S substantially better than I can shoot the LCP, so if I can manage to carry the PPK/S, then it would be my first choice.

That being said, most of the folks who poo poo .380 ACP are the sort who argue that 9mm Luger is the ultimate self-defense/duty cartridge and say that anything below it is too weak while anything above it is somehow no more effective, yet worse for carry because it has lesser magazine capacity and slower follow up shots.
In other words, self-conscious folks who are emasculated by their inability to handle the recoil of larger cartridges, so they insinuate that .380 ACP is weak to make themselves feel better.

That or they're just misinformed. Either way, .380 ACP is fine for self-defense, and if you can shoot a PP better than you can shoot smaller, lighter .380s or 9mms, then obviously it's the best choice for YOU and thus what other folks have to say on the matter is irrelevant because there is no perfect, one-size-fits-all cartridge nor firearm.
I've entrusted my life to a S&W PPK/S-1, it may not be able to stop the illusive 7ft/300Lbs+ Meth Head wearing 5 layers of denim and wielding a car door as a shield, but I'm fairly certain I can outrun such a beast, especially after dumping 7 rounds of .380 ACP into him.

Last edited by Austin Powers; 10-20-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Austin Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:24 PM   #13

DE Pistole .22
I believe the context of this thread was why an apparent dislike of .380 (over .32) when choosing a PP series pistol.

That said, I believe any caliber can have civilian self defense applications but also believe that 9mm is likely the smallest effective caliber for a military/police combat pistol. For example, while German WWII staff officers / pilots / submariners / civilian Police / etc. most frequently were armed with a 7,65 mm pistol, the front line combat troops (also armed with a pistol) usually were equipped by the German Army with a P-38.

Last edited by DE Pistole; 10-20-2019 at 11:55 PM.

Old 10-20-2019, 05:31 PM   #14

Duncanppk .22
.380 distaste

DE Pistol you hit the nail on the head. Different pistols for different needs. Different calibers for those pistols. Civilian self defense is different from the needs of LEO's and military. But, if the .32 acp vs .380 acp vs 9 mm is the question then choose the one you shoot best. If it is the PP platform vs any other, then pick the one you like best.

Duncan
Duncanppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:07 PM   #15

Mr007Bonds .22
Gene this is my take on the distaste for the 380, some people don't care for the PP/PPK designed, because one it’s old, for the same reason some folks don't like the 1911. There’s not a lot of changes that can be done to it, like it’s not easy or cheap to replace the sights. You cant move the decocker to the other side for left handed shooters. It’s made out of all steel, as opposed to the lite polymer 2.75 inch or shorter barreled 380’s that are in Vogue right now. Some folk don't like having a safety/ decocker on a self defense pistol, and for a lot of folks any caliber below the 9MM Parabellum doesn’t give them the confidence need in a self defense round.
Mr007Bonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:43 PM   #16

Austin Powers .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DE Pistole View Post
I believe the context of this thread was why an apparent dislike of .380 (over .32) when choosing a PP series pistol.

That said, I believe any caliber can have civilian self defense applications but also believe that 9mm is likely the smallest effective caliber for a military/police combat pistol. For example, while German WWII staff officers / pilots / submariners / civilian Police / etc. most frequently were armed with a 7,65 mm pistol, but front line combat troops (also armed with a pistol) usually were equipped by the German Army with a P-38.
Oh, that one is easy then. Elitism. The PP was designed first in .32 ACP, ergo it's the best chambering. Forget about the fact that .22LR is significantly cheaper and more fun to shoot, forget that .380 ACP is better for self-defense, .32 ACP is the best because it came first, and if you ain't first, yer last.

.380 ACP was never intended to be used as a service/duty cartridge, it was designed by John Moses Browning for the Colt 1908 Pocket Hammerless, which was designed as a concealed carry pistol for self-defense, ergo its inability to measure up when compared to service/duty cartridges like 9mm Luger and .45 ACP is to be expected.
A somewhat lesser known fact is that the .380 ACP is actually a scaled down .45 ACP, so if there was any doubt that .380 ACP was designed as a civilian self-defense cartridge, that ought to settle it. You see, back in the early 1900s, anything less than .45caliber was deemed inadequate for military use after the .38 Long Colt cartridge had failed to stop charging Moro Warriors during the Moro Rebellion in the Philippines, yet when the military took their old Colt Single Action Army revolvers chambered in .45 Long Colt out of retirement, it proved to be highly effective. So Browning would have never designed a 9mm cartridge for military duty at that point in time.

However, it has historically seen use by military and law enforcement regardless in the past, and there are even a few police departments in the US today which approve of the .380 ACP as a backup gun, hence why some consider it fair to compare/rank it among service/duty cartridges.

As a self-defense cartridge, it is adequate. Heck, with proper ammo selection, .380 ACP is even capable of meeting FBI/IWBA specifications for duty cartridges by penetrating a minimum of 12" in Ballistics Gelatin through 4 layers of heavy denim with full expansion, albeit marginally (12"-13" is about as much as you can expect) and pretty much exclusively with the modestly expanding Hornady XTP bullet design. Still, a duty cartridge it is not, so if you want to carry a duty cartridge, you want 9mm Luger or higher.

Personally, I'm confident carrying .380 ACP. I carry it full time as a primary self-defense cartridge in warm weather, and as a backup in cold weather, but not because I doubt its performance, merely because cold weather makes it possible for me to carry larger firearms which hold substantially more ammo and are chambered in more powerful cartridges, so why not?
I've entrusted my life to a S&W PPK/S-1, it may not be able to stop the illusive 7ft/300Lbs+ Meth Head wearing 5 layers of denim and wielding a car door as a shield, but I'm fairly certain I can outrun such a beast, especially after dumping 7 rounds of .380 ACP into him.
Austin Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:07 PM   #17

DE Pistole .22
I think the asserted general distaste of caliber .380 ACP has little to do with design of the PP series pistols. However, their design is likely the primary reason for lack of interest for those who want more modern features/capabilities in a defensive pistol than is offered by the PP series. For those who do not like the PP series pistol design, they likely don't care for those pistols regardless of caliber. In regard to a supposed general distaste for caliber .380 ACP, that is likely contradicted by world wide production of this caliber by most ammunition companies.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:09 PM   #18

Gene L .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DE Pistole View Post
The .380 PPK (PPK/S) is easier to admire than shoot. That is why so many nearly new ones end up being traded, sold or kept in the safe to be rarely fired. Learning to shoot these fine pistols takes patience and acknowledgement of their design imposed gripping and ammunition requirements/limitations.

I hear that hard to shoot statement quite often, but I've not experienced it, nor have I ever been bitten by the slide. It's maybe a bit snappy, a lot more than the .32, but it's not painful and I'm a recoil wimp. Not nearly as bad a shooting a J-Frame airweight .38 special, and a lot more controllable for follow ups. For me, at least. That little J-frame is a joy to carry, a beast to shoot.

Nearly new PPK- PPK/S .32s are pretty rare. Which may account for one reason so few being on the market, compared to the .380s.
Gene L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:17 PM   #19

DE Pistole .22
Not "hard to shoot because of recoil" or "slide bite," but because learning to shoot these fine pistols takes patience and acknowledgement of their design imposed gripping and ammunition requirements/limitations.

Everyone is likely a "recoil wimp" at some point in their lives; I see it fast approaching. For some, this happens sooner than later for whatever physical limitations imposed by nature or life. For this reason, I usually wince at usage of "recoil wimp."
Jimmo952 likes this.

Last edited by DE Pistole; 10-20-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:17 PM   #20

Mr007Bonds .22
.380 ACP was never intended to be used as a service/duty cartridge, it was designed by John Moses Browning for the Colt 1908 Pocket Hammerless, which was designed as a concealed carry pistol for self-defense

As a self-defense cartridge, it is adequate. Heck, with proper ammo selection, .380 ACP is even capable of meeting FBI/IWBA specifications for duty cartridges by penetrating a minimum of 12" in Ballistics Gelatin through 4 layers of heavy denim with full expansion, albeit marginally (12"-13" is about as much as you can expect) and pretty much exclusively with the modestly expanding Hornady XTP bullet design. Still, a duty cartridge it is not, so if you want to carry a duty cartridge, you want 9mm Luger or higher.

Personally, I'm confident carrying .380 ACP. I carry it full time as a primary self-defense cartridge in warm weather, and as a backup in cold weather, but not because I doubt its performance, merely because cold weather makes it possible for me to carry larger firearms which hold substantially more ammo and are chambered in more powerful cartridges, so why not?[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, i carry my .380 most of the year, except for the coldest of days, then i move up to the 9MM, but shot placement is still Queen
Mr007Bonds is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series