Loaded round indicator spring - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2019, 05:46 PM   #1

Gene L .22
Loaded round indicator spring

Had to order one today from Earl. I think it broke earlier and someone removed it, since I don't think it's in the channel blocking anything. Installing it will be a challenge to me, who is not a very mechanical guy. Earl, a nice guy, said to call him and he'd talk me through it.

Also ordered a new recoil spring from him. Said he's been in business for 50 years.
Gene L is online now   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 10-14-2019, 08:33 PM   #2

Duncanppk .22

About six months ago I purchased a pp with the indicator hanging out about a half inch. It had other problems, but not related to your problem. Replacement is not difficult, but you need to follow the steps.

Dismount the slide. Move your safety half way between fire and safe. The firing pin is removed by compressing the spring and lifting out. Pay attention to the orientation of the cuts on the firing pin.

You can then get the safety out by gently working it out of with your fingers. Do not try to pry it out with a screwdriver, this could break the safety lever. When removing watch out for the extractor spring and safety detent pin as they are under pressure.

Now the indicator is exposed. Lift it out and clean the front and rear tunnels to get the crud out. The spring goes on the rear of the indicator pin with the arm pointing up at the top of the slide.

This is a good time to clean and lightly lube the entire area.

Compress the extractor spring assembly, insert the safety (keeping it half way between safe and fire). Replace the firing pin with cut as they were prior to disassembly. Remount the slide and check function.

There are youtube examples to give you step by step instructions. Check the stickies for instructions. It probably took longer to type out than to do this, but once done you will have the satisfaction of working on your own weapon.

Remember springs like to fly away. Have a clean work area. Some like to do this inside of a large clear plastic bag, like the bags shirts come in from the dry cleaners. Take your time and it can be done.

Study first, then you can do this.
Duncanppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:11 AM   #3

Duncanppk .22

Sorry, I made an error in the first step. After dismounting the slide, compress the firing pin to the front. Hold it there. Now remove the safety, being carefully not to release the firing pin. The firing pin can then be removed to the rear. You will then have in loaded chamber indicator pin in view.

Follow remaining steps. This came to me at 3 AM, but I waited to wake up to correct. Do a Google search for"walther ppk slide disassembly" and you will find a good video on this.

Good luck.

Old 10-15-2019, 03:47 PM   #4

ViperR .22
I was just about to correct you that the safety has to be removed, but you corrected your procedure. Thanks for doing that. Can't confuse a new comer.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:02 AM   #5

OmegaJB .22
This is a great video on disassembly and assembly that I've used on a couple of occasions.

https://youtu.be/hCKzparxRQU

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
OmegaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:50 AM   #6

Duncanppk .22

Viper,

The worst part of getting old are lapses of memory, the second worst is remembering your mistakes in the middle of the night.

My pp is a 1940 ZM commercial. I picked it up for a song as it appeared in terrible shape. The slide was covered in light rust, with some pitting near the muzzle. The indicator pin was hanging out about a half inch and it looked like it had seen a hard life. The frame and internals were spotless.

I got it home and discovered Bubba had been at work. The indicator spring was on the front end of the pin. The magazine spring was in backwards and it had not seen oil in many years. I soaked it in Ballistol and killed the rust. Corrected the springs and had to replace the safety as the lever had been broken off by Bubba.

I now have a great shooting .32 Walther pp and a lot of satisfaction in correcting its problems. Someday I will get pictures posted of it and my other German and eastern European weapons. I love steel weapons that are older then me.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:16 PM   #7

Gene L .22
Well, I got it done. Thanks to a video and some tinkering around, a few errors that were corrected, and replaced the recoil spring. It's not that hard to do, once you understand the logic of how it goes together.

Especially easier probably because the loaded round indicator spring was broken and didn't launch itself into space.
Gene L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:29 PM   #8

Duncanppk .22

Gene,

Good work! Hope all goes well.

Duncan

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series