WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2019, 07:29 AM   #11

ViperR .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
Mike, any difference in chamber adhesion between the aluminum and brass cases?

Moon
I was thinking the same thing. Brass cases are smooth and polished, while the aluminum ones are a dull rough surface.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:12 AM   #12
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Mike, any difference in chamber adhesion between the aluminum and brass cases?

Moon
I don't know. They are different materials so there's bound to be some difference, but which is more or less, I have no idea.

In a blowback pistol, I doubt if it makes much practical difference. The extractor doesn't pull the fired case out; in order for the slide to cycle, the case has to shove itself rearward like a piston.

A softer, less resilient case that recovers from expansion more slowly (or not at all) might adhere to the chamber walls longer, but the proof is in the pudding: if the slide fully cycles, it's of no consequence. The slide's velocity would probably be reduced, along with the impact when the slide, moving rearward, is halted. Might soften felt recoil, who knows?

Unless there is really a significant difference, rpm would have to be measured by high-speed photography (or in full-auto guns, acoustically).

M

There's not much if any difference between the extractor in .32 vs. .380. Try one and see how it works. Either one can be dressed with stones for a proper fit. The real challenge is to convert one to .22.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:03 PM   #13

halfmoonclip .22
Mike, thnx. Can't say I've ever heard of empirical data on the subject.
It does beg the question, aluminum being both lighter and cheaper than brass, why is it not more common as a case material? For military purposes the weight issue would add up, as would the cost.
From a circumstantial point of view, there has to be a reason. Also, in my experience, aluminum is Berdan primed, which seems counter intuitive; two holes, stamped in anvil.
Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."

Last edited by halfmoonclip; 10-01-2019 at 01:09 PM.
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2019, 08:56 PM   #14
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Moon: Why is aluminum not in more common use for case material? I don't know. Maybe someone here knows.

Why are aluminum cases Berdan primed? I don't know that either, but I strongly suspect the main reason is to discourage reloading them.

M
Old 10-01-2019, 09:42 PM   #15

halfmoonclip .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
...Why are aluminum cases Berdan primed? I don't know that either, but I strongly suspect the main reason is to discourage reloading them.

M
Yeah, that makes sense, tho' Berdan priming has always mystified me; reputedly German wartime ammo was Berdan.

Our late range officer would have tried to reload about anything.
Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:09 PM   #16

93978 .22
One might think the answer lies somewhere in the science of metallurgy, but the real reason is the military tradition of saying "no brass or ammo" after live fire
halfmoonclip likes this.
93978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:05 AM   #17
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Yeah, that makes sense, tho' Berdan priming has always mystified me; reputedly German wartime ammo was Berdan.

Practically all WWII-era military small arms ammunition was Berdan primed. Much of it still is. US-made ammo was a standout exception.

Berdan was an American, but the US generally did not use the primer he invented. We preferred Boxer primers, invented by a Brit. Perversely the UK and Commonwealth used mostly Berdan, though some have now switched to Boxer.

Of course Berdan can be reloaded, but decapping is slow and awkward because the flash holes are small and off-center. As far as I can recall, the Swiss are about the only ones who reload Berdan military cases-- but they do it in a factory, on an industrial assembly-line basis, as one might expect in a country that mass-produces cuckoo clocks.

M
Old 10-02-2019, 03:09 PM   #18

ViperR .22
Well, CCI Blazer's are aluminum cased and Berdan primed, so those weak case can't be reloaded (unless some fool would go through the trouble).
These cases are very rough and dull on the outside. Could bind upon expansion and ejection.
I think this is what the he was talking about. Never had a problem with them in 9mm, 45acp or .380, but never shot any out of a Walther in any caliber.
Just a cheaper alternative for range ammo that CCI made.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:11 PM   #19

ViperR .22
What do you have against the Swiss BTW?
Don't like their knives?
Old 10-02-2019, 03:47 PM   #20
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperR View Post
Just a cheaper alternative for range ammo that CCI made.
I think cost was the whole justification for it. It worked well enough in pistol calibers.

I have nothing against the Swiss. I'm very fond of their small arms, and Victorinox is legendary.

M

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series