WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2019, 04:47 PM   #11

1917-1911M .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanosaurus View Post
I wish I had a better camera - in the right light you can see where someone filled the markings (all of them) with cold blue. There are swab marks atop the blueing over the lettering. Why on earth someone would do this, I do not know, but it's not the first time I've seen it.

Perhaps someone worrying that rust would start at the raw metal exposed by stamps?
Im no expert on this but my understanding that when re-blueing the frame gets dipped and reblued including the portion of the frame that loops over the chamber area of the barrel. Then, the top portion of this area gets polished with something like 80 to 100 grit emery which removes the blueing and leaves fine scratch marks running perpendicular to the bore of the barrel. The reason the stamped areas are dark is you can't easily remove the blueing down in the depression....which is why an edge of a fingernail moved back and forth across roll marks or stamps will indicate whether the edges of the marks or still raised and sharp and drag on your fingernail, or if the part has been carefully sanded for reblueing which removes any of the raised steel and leaves a smooth edge at the marks.

It doesn't really matter on a pistol like this especially if it was a factory refurbishment. If it was a '39 fairly rare collectible piece the rebluing can have a negative effect on value. Like the old car collector guys say, it's only original once. Very nice looking pistol, give us a report on how it shoots when you get a chance. 1917
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 09-09-2019, 10:31 PM   #12

1917-1911M .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanosaurus View Post
I wish I had a better camera
Cell phones can take excellent photos. I bet the small point and shoot cameras can be purchased pretty inexpensively. They were hot 10 years ago....phone cameras have all but killed them. They also take excellent pictures. 1917
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 04:58 PM   #13

deanosaurus .22
Had it out to the range today. Shoots like a dream. Exceptionally accurate and after getting used to the size, very comfortable. I can see why some people would say it's a little jumpy and barky in .380 but in .32, a real gem.
halfmoonclip likes this.
deanosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page

bavarian police byp

Click on a term to search for related topics.