Walther PPK or PPK /S - Page 3 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2019, 05:58 PM   #21

sktn77a .22
I love the PPK as a showpiece, but I wouldn't trust my life to it. Get a Glock 19.
halfmoonclip likes this.
sktn77a is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 08-31-2019, 06:16 PM   #22

michaeljessemyers .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sktn77a View Post
I love the PPK as a showpiece, but I wouldn't trust my life to it. Get a Glock 19.
If that's a valid concern, I'm back to the S&W small 1911, or my Model 19. I have no desire to get involved in plastic guns. If it's a valid concern, it's also maybe a good reason to get a brand new PPK.
michaeljessemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:47 PM   #23

No.6 .22
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljessemyers View Post
If that's a valid concern, I'm back to the S&W small 1911, or my Model 19. I have no desire to get involved in plastic guns. If it's a valid concern, it's also maybe a good reason to get a brand new PPK.
Both of these are IMO silly.

MJM: I've owned a Glock 19 for two decades. It's utterly reliable, accurate, and holds 15 9mm. "Plastic pistol" is an archaic slight to the 19 and several hundred other fine firearms which function very well. It's also essentially a full-sized arm; I don't own nor can reasonably wear clothing that'll keep it concealed unless I'm wearing a jacket.

Additionally, it's a striker-fired pistol that's carried partially cocked. Many many people carry these safely, even appendix carry; after refreshing myself on my G19 and testing a Sig P365 (also silly accurate), I couldn't bring myself to choose them for EDC. If you have the time to drill to where a ND would be near impossible; great. For the same reason I leave the SA cocked-and-locked stuff to people with tons of experience or spare time. My personal thought here is that these are great in a shoulder or OWB carry.

Sktn: See above; nobody should be mistaking a .380 of any sort for a full sized 9, 40, or 45 -- but neither should they mistake a handgun of any sort for a battle weapon.

That said; in the DA/SA category if I wanted a 9/40/45 I would look at the Beretta PX4 compact or full sized. That rotating barrel... I've spent some time with its predecessor, the Cougar, and in .45 the recoil is almost gentle. However they're W I D E and departed from my personal EDC list for that reason.
No.6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2019, 08:24 PM   #24

1917-1911M .38
$900 is too much for a shooter/carry piece.

Bought this one for $350 out the door with a box of ammo perhaps four years ago. .32 though.

Bought this one for $375 or so two or three years ago.

Paid $0 for this one. Neighbor brought it out, asked me if I could cut the recoil spring in half? Said he couldn't cycle it. I said no, it is a blowback pistol and the recoil spring keeps it from battering itself to death. He put it back in the box, handed it to me, said, "take it, I don't want it." He has a lot of firearms and is getting older by the day....I go see him pretty often....

Came with a horseshoe in the box...cause it kicks like one. Look around, they are for sale, you might even check the "for sale" section here and it wouldn't hurt to put something in the "want to buy" section. Keep reading and asking questions, you can learn a lot here that will benefit your search.. If you are carrying it everyday the last thing you want is a valuable pre war or wartime pistol. There are just too many out there at reasonable prices....which makes me wonder how many people will purchase the Ft Smith/Smith tail new ones at $600 or whatever they are going for. 1917
halfmoonclip likes this.

Last edited by 1917-1911M; 08-31-2019 at 08:30 PM.
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:34 PM   #25

michaeljessemyers .22
No.6, think of me as a dinosaur, along with some of the other dinosaurs who write for gun magazines. I prefer steel, not composite. Maybe I shouldn't use the words "plastic pistol" as I'm sure many people are totally happy with them. They just don't appeal to me.

What is a "ND" ?

I don't think I would be comfortable either with "cocked and locked". I know people say it is safe, it is faster, and so on, but by the time I feel comfortable with that idea, I'll be even more ancient than I already am.

The S&W Model 19 is probably ideal for me, and I already own it. For an "active shooter" scenario, where presumably I would be lying on the floor if I couldn't run away, it would be powerful and accurate. The hammer would probably be on an empty chamber, and I know that's also a no-no, but I'm not the only one who feels that way.

As to power, 357 Magnum is presumably powerful enough for the scenarios I am concerned about. Anyway, that's all personal stuff. The reason I posted here is because I thought the PPK might be a good answer for me. Now I'm not so sure.

Whatever I get, I'll be getting lots of practice time with it at the range. I'm already shooting the Model 19 there, with wadcutters. I've had it for almost 40 years, I'm comfortable with it, and if I re-install it, I have a laser sight that goes on it. I do have a CCW permit, but I hardly ever "carry". With all the nonsense I read about on almost a weekly basis, I'd like to have a third choice in addition to what I've been told about "Run, Hide, or Fight".

Thank you for your thoughts. If what I wrote is silly, as you pointed out, that's how I feel, for me, silly or not...
Old 08-31-2019, 08:40 PM   #26

michaeljessemyers .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
.........If you are carrying it everyday the last thing you want is a valuable pre war or wartime pistol. There are just too many out there at reasonable prices....which makes me wonder how many people will purchase the Ft Smith/Smith tail new ones at $600 or whatever they are going for.........
I've already learned a lot here, and there's no rush to buy anything. I think I'll hold off until I know more, which means reading a lot more in these forums if I'm still serious about a PPK.

Again, thanks for the advice - I'm going to minimize posting, and do a lot more reading.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:41 PM   #27

1917-1911M .38
You aren't the only one around here that doesn't like polymer pistols...there are others. I don't mind either...as long as they have a long history of running 100%. My wife chooses a revolver which she shoots well. I'm not arguing. 1917
Old 08-31-2019, 08:49 PM   #28

1917-1911M .38
One other thing....when Smith and Wesson began producing the PP pistols they added a longer and thicker beavertail. It is a love it or hate it design. If you look at some of the older PP pistols you will see the original design vs the new look. The beavertail was made larger because the small pistol could bite the hand of the shooter, especially those with large, beefy mitts. I have small, tight hands also and I cannot make the slide come close to my hand. So, that makes you an especially good candidate for the original style and much nicer looking ( my opinion) originals. The new Ft Smith pistols carry the S&W tail. 1917

Did you look at the Sig P238? It is small, steel, weighs 1 lb and has a 1911 layout. https://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/sig-sauer-p238-review/

Last edited by 1917-1911M; 08-31-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:51 PM   #29

No.6 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljessemyers View Post
No.6, think of me as a dinosaur, along with some of the other dinosaurs who write for gun magazines. I prefer steel, not composite. Maybe I shouldn't use the words "plastic pistol" as I'm sure many people are totally happy with them. They just don't appeal to me.

What is a "ND" ?
The internet spawns acronyms in this case 'Negligent Discharge' -- in short I was concerned that I'd tuck a P365 or G19 in and put a 9mm tunnel in my bum.

Sorry about using 'silly' but there was a whole storm of controversy in the '80s about how Glocks were going to be undetectable by metal detectors and everyone was going to blast their leg off with 'no safety' etc.

In 2019, it's harder to find a steel frame than polymer, internal safeties are tested every which way.

For the record, I'm in the same camp about steel, or I wouldn't be here typing this, but over at the Sig forum. Would you believe I had to look up what a Model 19 is?

Well everyone's preference is theirs, and there's lots of good quality. My only remaining recommendation is to put your paws on a bunch of choices and rent a few. The 'right' answer is the one that works for you so long as it works when you need it, goes where you point it and it's with you at the right time.
halfmoonclip likes this.
No.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:11 PM   #30

michaeljessemyers .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by No.6 View Post
..........The 'right' answer is the one that works for you so long as it works when you need it, goes where you point it and it's with you at the right time...........
I like that explanation. :-)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page

ppk walther

walther ppk s first edition forum

Click on a term to search for related topics.