Walther PPK or PPK /S - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2019, 04:42 PM   #11

Pantera Mike .22
I love my Ulm PPK .380 (vintage 1966) but there are far better choices for a gun you plan to literally bet your life on. Given your familiarity with the 1911 Platform I think you would be far better served with a Kimber Micro 9. They are available in a variety of finishes, with varying amounts of farkle, at a price point (for entry-level versions) far less than a new Walther. And they are substantially lighter, making for much more comfortable carry.

And finally, there is no arguing the effectiveness of the 9mm cartridge compared to the .380. My Micro 9 even has measurably less felt recoil than my PPK.

Others prefer modern striker-fired plastic guns for ‘social work’. I personally can’t abide them, simply because I’m old-fashioned.

But not so old-fashioned as to carry a PPK as a primary CCW tool.

Which is not to say I don’t love my PPK—I do. But there are many better choices for what you say you want to do.
halfmoonclip likes this.
Pantera Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 08-30-2019, 08:29 PM   #12

michaeljessemyers .22
If I abandon the idea of getting the PPK, the other gun I'm most interested on is:
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...pro-series-9mm

When/if I want to carry, something I don't do on a regular basis, the PPK seemed a simple answer. I feel like people here and elsewhere are telling me there are better answers for me. Well, I know in feel comfortable with the 1911 guns, and this S&W would be a simple answer.

.......http://www.usacarry.com/wp-content/u...ew-696x546.jpg .....

I liked the idea of the PPK. My interest in this peaked when I went to an "active shooter" group talk, but on by the Sheriff from Indian River. As he went through all the options (run, hide, or fight) I felt he left off the idea of having your own weapon for protection. Again, I thought the PPK would be perfect.

I need to do some more thinking about this - thanks for all the feedback.
michaeljessemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:45 PM   #13

Kar98 .22
Couple of points: carry always. The "run hide fight" is not something your sheriff came up with, but the DHS. I must have seen versions of the video half a dozen times, with different imagery but always the exact same script. In the words of Dale Gribble, anything can be a weapon; for instance, this weapon. And since the video addresses active shooters in a no weapons zone, better have one that's completely concealable. Like the aforementioned micro 1911s. Or PPS with the six round mag inserted and a 8 round mag somewhere upon your person. Goes for the micro 1911s also. Which gives you the round count of a full sized pistol.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2019, 01:55 AM   #14

Pantera Mike .22
That S&W 1911 is a full-sized frame with a short slide and barrel. Certainly effective but you will have challenges carrying it concealed on a hot summer day.

I love the size of the PPK, and this is much bigger and probably heavier.

The various Micro 1911s and small Glocks etc boast dimensions in the PPK class (good) with much less weight (very good) and 9mm power (even better, compared to .380).
halfmoonclip likes this.
Pantera Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:22 AM   #15

michaeljessemyers .22
[QUOTE=Pantera Mike;1210040]That S&W 1911 is a full-sized frame with a short slide and barrel. Certainly effective but you will have challenges carrying it concealed on a hot summer day..........I love the size of the PPK, and this is much bigger and probably heavier........... The various Micro 1911s and small Glocks etc boast
  • dimensions in the PPK class (good) with much
  • less weight (very good) and
  • 9mm power (even better, compared to .380).
/QUOTE]

I've never fired a PPK, only held one in my hand. I fire or dry-fire 1911's every day shooting one handed. You've brought up three very important things to consider, SIZE, WEIGHT, and POWER. There is one more thing to consider, ACCURACY,

Two questions - I've read where the PPK in the right hands can be very accurate. A good 1911 is very accurate. Still, take two guns, one micro-size and the other full size, and using 9mm ammunition for the added power - how likely are you going to hit what you're aiming at as the gun size changes?

If it's a situation where the other guy with a gun is fairly close, this may not matter. But if I stick with what prompted me to want the PPK to begin with, an active shooter situation, it's more likely that I'll be between 15 yards and 25 yards away, not to mention I suspect my hands will be shaking. The ability to shoot well at a longer distance (if true) seems far more important to me than how conveniently I can carry the gun in a hot summer's day.

.............which comes back to the original reason why I asked the question here. The PPK shoots a smaller bullet, allowing the gun to be smaller, lighter, and from what I've read, still capable of good accuracy.

No matter what I get, it will be a compromise. The PPK seemed like an excellent compromise, and the Federal Officer I discussed this with recommended it. If I'm going to instead get a more powerful gun, then different compromises may be needed.

Last edited by michaeljessemyers; 08-31-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:58 PM   #16

michaeljessemyers .22
Adding something to what I posted earlier - if I'm not going to get the PPK, rather than buying a 9mm semi-auto, I already have my S&W Model 19 with short barrel and holster. That would leave me back to maybe buying the PPK for use when/if I didn't want to be carrying something larger. Anything I do is going to be a compromise. ......and if I want a real PPK, not the /S, I think they will be available starting early next year.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:42 PM   #17

1917-1911M .38
Welcome Michael. Have you fired a .380 PP of any kind? They are accurate enough but that fixed barrel means they kick....hard. I don't find the .380 versions pleasant to fire. Your .45 is larger but that Browning lock performs miracles. Beautiful pistol, yepper. Every enthusiast should have one or more....in .32 or .22.

I don't think you will have any problem finding a nice old one in the $400 + range. Personally, I'd rather have a German/Manurhin over an Interarms/Smith or new one. How big and meaty are your hands? The pistols can be a problem for people with large/meaty hands.

As far as carry goes...they are small but they are heavy. And, these days you can step up to 9mm is a similar sized pistol. Be sure and shoot one if you haven't yet. Good luck and may you never have to use whatever you get for self defense. 1917
halfmoonclip likes this.
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:56 PM   #18

michaeljessemyers .22
Thanks, 1917. No, I've never fired one. Maybe my brother will let me fire his - his gun dates back to WWII.

Hands - no, my hands are in no way "big and meaty"; they're on the small side, and so am I. I'm also going on 67, and I used to be the guy who posed as the "97 pound weakling" in the Charles Atlas ads.

Being "heavy" doesn't sound like a problem - a heavier gun will help "absorb" some of the recoil.

I already have a 9mm Taurus PT-92, but didn't like the 115 gr "kick". The 147 gr ammo was more comfortable to shoot. I mostly shoot 22 and 45, and thoroughly enjoy my S&W Model 52 that shoots 38 Special.

Regarding carry, I like the way my brother put it - you hope you'll never need to use a fire extinguisher, but it really helps to have one if you need it. I see how that applies to "carry". That I have one on my body doesn't mean I need to use it, but if I need to use it, it's there.

I know nothing about the PPK, I'm comfortable with 1911's, I love my small S&W Model 19 revolver (used to be a gun the police would likely have on their body). I don't want a plastic gun, which leaves out Glock and many others.

........you make a good point - I should try to shoot a round or two from my brother's gun before I buy one.

(Would a good used German made PPK be better than waiting for a brand new made in USA PPK?)
Old 08-31-2019, 05:21 PM   #19

Kar98 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljessemyers View Post
(Would a good used German made PPK be better than waiting for a brand new made in USA PPK?)

So very much!
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:40 PM   #20

michaeljessemyers .22
Such as this?
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/826195214

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page

ppk walther

Click on a term to search for related topics.