Walther PPK or PPK /S - Page 11 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2019, 09:58 PM   #101

halfmoonclip .22
Sorry, I should have been more clear...don't use a conventional steel hammer and punch...Lyman makes a great little hammer with a brass drift in the handle, and brass/nylon/steel striking faces. About $20.

It generally doesn't take that hard a blow to move the sight.
Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 09-19-2019, 10:55 PM   #102

michaeljessemyers .22
Actually, I see this as an excuse to buy a fascinating type of tool I've read about for many years.

Your solution would be a lot less expensive.

I think the tool might be more accurate, if I need to make a tiny adjustment.
michaeljessemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:17 PM   #103

halfmoonclip .22
If sight pushers weren't so expensive (and sometimes brand specific), I'd have one.
Michael, due respect, but if you're making adjustments that fine, you should be at Camp Perry with Bauer hardball gun!
That Lyman hammer will serve most of the time.
Shoot your pistole awhile, and take conclusions/adjustments from there.
Best,

Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2019, 11:49 PM   #104

Pantera Mike .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
If sight pushers weren't so expensive (and sometimes brand specific), I'd have one.
Moon,

Time to take a crowbar to your wallet. They cost under $50!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019396518
Pantera Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:56 PM   #105

michaeljessemyers .22
Sorry, I get frustrated when I get this at 15 yards.......
I know the gun is capable of better accuracy than I ever expected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5322.jpg (100.6 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by michaeljessemyers; 09-20-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:43 AM   #106
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljessemyers View Post
Question - how often do most people clean these guns? I was taught not to clean my Bullseye guns too often, but I think I read here where it should be cleaned at least every 100 rounds or so.
I clean after every range trip. With a carry weapon I clean weekly and wipe with a silicone cloth daily.

Cleaning gives me an opportunity to inspect my weapon for wear and ruminate on my range trip. What did I do well and what could I do better next time...

BTW when I am breaking down my weapon I use a poker chip to hold the trigger guard away from the frame. It will keep your trigger guard from popping back into the frame when you are trying to pull the slide off...
93978 likes this.
olsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #107

Jimbo80 .22
Quote:
Question - how often do most people clean these guns? I was taught not to clean my Bullseye guns too often, but I think I read here where it should be cleaned at least every 100 rounds or so.
Gun cleaning frequency is a personal thing and most everyone has different feelings about it. I am not a frequent cleaner. Typically after a range session I'll run a bore snake through the gun and then a wipe down. When the gun is really dirty (500-1K rds) I'll do a field strip clean

A very skilled gunsmith friend who's opinion I value greatly once told me that more guns are broken during the cleaning process than ever were by shooting them.
Jimbo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:22 PM   #108

93978 .22
Never have broken a gun while cleaning it. However, I did once lose a firing pin retaining pin in Ranger School when I accidently kicked over my patrol cap holding all the parts to my bolt carrier group. When the RI saw me on my knees looking (disparately) for it, he asked me what I was up to. I came clean and he produced a small plastic box that had commonly misplaced small parts in it. When he handed me the pin, I happily reassembled my rifle, only then to be told to trade weapons with our M60 machine gunner. Then for the next ~2 hours in Georgia heat, I remained the RTO (PRC-77 radio in my ruck) who just happened to also be carrying the M-60. It was a gut check that taught me a lesson.

Last edited by 93978; 09-21-2019 at 03:29 PM.
93978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:45 PM   #109

michaeljessemyers .22
Quote:
.........Once you have this tool, in effect you have "adjustable sights". :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ38YieGcxU
Small update. I bought the tool, and it arrived a few days ago. I took the PPK/S apart, cleaned it, then started to figure out the tool.

First, if any of you get one, read the MANUAL that comes with the tool - it is different from what the guy does on the video. Second, the part that "pushes" against the sight can be configured for "tapered" sights, or sights that the edge of the sight is vertical. Be careful. The PPK rear sight has a slight taper, and the angle on the tool is a larger taper. IF YOU USE THE TAPERED SIDE, IT WILL BE PUSHING ON THE TOP CORNER OF THE REAR SIGHT, NOT THE BOTTOM. I called the company to tell them that they should consider adding a note about this in the instructions - pushing on the very top corner might destroy the sight.

To continue, I put the vertical pusher on instead of the tapered version (just flip it over to change back and forth), and adjusted it to miss the slide, but to press on the very bottom of the rear sight. I also put masking tape on the slide, so nothing would get marred from the supports.

End result was I could slowly move the rear sight to the left until it appeared centered. I can always adjust it a bit more if I need to.

I don't recommend everyone rush off to buy one, as it's not inexpensive, but once you have it, you can adjust any sights whenever you need to, or remove them to install different sights (not for the PPK though). Very pleased with how well it worked. I should have taken a photo to post here.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:09 PM   #110

Pantera Mike .22
Wow, I just realized the tool you bought lists for $135 on Amazon. The one I suggested is $44.

Mine has worked like a champ, FWIW.....
Pantera Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page

ppk walther

walther ppk s first edition forum

Click on a term to search for related topics.