New PPK/S problems - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2019, 08:49 AM   #1

carr27107 .22
New PPK/S problems

I have a new PPK/S and the gun is beautiful like most all Walthers. I have a problem with one mag not letting it go back into full battery by about an 1/8 inch. The same mag is also a little hard to remove once you chamber a round it is like the next round n the mag is slightly shifted forward. Anyone have any ideas as I am waiting for Walther to contact me back.
carr27107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 07-30-2019, 01:41 PM   #2

DukeIronHand .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr27107 View Post
The same mag is also a little hard to remove once you chamber a round it is like the next round n the mag is slightly shifted forward. Anyone have any ideas as I am waiting for Walther to contact me back.
This is a known issue I've been told. There is a thread about it down the page a bit.
Simple "work-around" (for me) is to hit the mag release twice.
Not a perfect solution but I don't reckon I'll be, under pressure, dumping a full mag with one in the chamber.
If Walther gets back to you I'll be curious what they say.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:07 PM   #3

carr27107 .22
Thank you the mag ejecting isn't the worst issue the slide not going into full battery is but it is with just the one mag so I hope when my others get here I can tell more. So far Walther has the worst customer service I have ever dealt with.

Old 07-30-2019, 05:18 PM   #4

1917-1911M .38
Can you see a difference in the magazines? Does one sit higher than the other? Do they release the rim at the same point? If one mag works and the other doesn't see if you can see what is different between the two. 1917
halfmoonclip likes this.
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:45 PM   #5

carr27107 .22
The only difference I can see in the two mags is the follower in one looks like it is angled up just slightly more than the other. I did try turning the spring around and it has not changed that mag. I am going to try a couple different brands ammo I bought some pmc and Sig to see how they do compared to the Remington and Federal American Eagle I have tried originally.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:43 PM   #6

Austin Powers .22
My S&W PPK/S had the same problem until the magazines had been broken in.

A solution I had discovered to the problem was to after chambering a round, hit the mag release once, slap the magazine back in, then hit it a second time and it should drop loose.

Eventually the magazine springs will set just a bit and the problem will go away altogether.
Redcat94 likes this.
I've entrusted my life to a S&W PPK/S-1, it may not be able to stop the illusive 7ft/300Lbs+ Meth Head wearing 5 layers of denim and wielding a car door as a shield, but I'm fairly certain I can outrun such a beast, especially after dumping 7 rounds of .380 ACP into him.
Austin Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:17 AM   #7

1917-1911M .38
Reversing the spring end to end is one thing. Turning the angle opposite of what it should be is a no go. I'm not following this mag release business. I would like to see a picture of the mags from the front, follower all the way up. Good one vs the bad one. Then load a couple of rounds and a picture of both from the front ( just the top ). You might lock the slide back and insert each mag with a couple of rounds so we can see how they sit. These need to be close ups in sharp focus and well lit to show the position of the round.

If the mag catch slot is not cut high enough it can hold the mag too high in relation to the chamber. The catch has a flat top and the bottom is tapered. There needs to be enough room in the cutout so that the mag does not bind against the catch. Also, all of these magazines that I've looked at have about 1/16" + play in. They over insert a bit, than should drop back down under gravity. With an empty mag you should be able to easily press it up and have it flop back down. This is the body of the magazine....not the guts.

It sounds like for some reason one magazine is not feeding smoothly, holding the round out of align with the chamber. The nose should run up the feed ramp at a slight angle. When the rear of the round is released from the rear mag rails/lips, it should pop up for a straight shot into the chamber. One of your's isn't for some reason. Try to figure out why.

I've been fooling around with a variety of .22 mags in a PP pistol and have learned quite a bit about how they need to fit. I've also found that while some things are essential, the pistol feeds properly with a variety of different brand magazines, even those that don't hold the rounds in exactly the stock position. The mags do need not to be in a bind, they fit loosely, they lock in a bit too high and then drop back down under gravity or the top round pressing the mag down.

A change of ammunition might help. Parts inside of the magazine should move freely....up and down. The follower should simply drop in, slide all the way to the top of the mag. I'm not much on break in....either parts fit and function properly or they don't. I'd be looking for a replacement mag out of Ft Smith if I could not resolve it. Pictures, good ones and perhaps we can see the problem. 1917
halfmoonclip and Tenbones like this.

Last edited by 1917-1911M; 07-31-2019 at 10:49 AM.
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:20 AM   #8

carr27107 .22
1917 I shot the gun again yesterday and it seems like the bullets, when it does not quite go into full battery, are hitting just slightly high and out of line. It does it with PMC, SIG, Remington and American Eagle ammo and always the same clip. I will try and get some pics and post them. The mag empty or loaded seems to fit smoothly and has a little play like it should. I did notice one time that it looked the mag in question when loaded if I only loaded 5 rounds it worked well and seemed to only have a problem after chambering a round and the next one going in would not go into full battery, then bump the slide and it ran fine.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:39 AM   #9

halfmoonclip .22
Carr', you're saying the round itself is what prevents the slide from going fully into battery? It's the drag of chambering a round that slows the slide, or the round is slightly cockeyed in the chamber?
Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:58 AM   #10

carr27107 .22
halfmoonclip it is like the round is just slightly high going into the chamber and it hits at almost a flat slight impact that it stops it just short of allowing full slide engagement.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page
new ppk vs ppk/s
walker ppk versus ppks
walther ppk 380 problems

walther ppk and ppk/s difference

walther ppk release date 2019
walther ppk s problems
Click on a term to search for related topics.