Walther Forums banner

Stoning my life away

11K views 90 replies 15 participants last post by  pilkguns 
#1 · (Edited)
Trying to clean up this Asian beauty to engrave it on theme of the Art of War by Sun Tzu

Lots of nastieness forming the stones down to the contours of the slide in 320,400 and 600 grit

See less See more
#7 ·
Back in the 70’s one of the patrons of the gun shop where I worked brought in some stones very similar to those shown by pilkguns. They were from an auto glass factory where our friend worked. They seemed to be in a couple different grits. No one made any use of them until I started polishing and blueing.

They were marvelous tools and I made great use of them ... to the point that today only a few shards are left. Great to see similar stones in use again!

Hope you keep us posted on the project ...

#9 · (Edited)
I don’t know how you could use them more than a few strokes dry. I’m using mineral oil just because I have a bottle of it handy. It really should be a thinner viscosity but works.

Spit works too but that will rust when it dries.

#14 ·
I don’t know how you could use them more than a few strokes dry. I’m using mineral oil just because I have a bottle of it handy. It really should be a thinner viscosity but works.

Spit works too but that will rust when it dries.

I've found kerosene works great for soft stoning.

Reactions: pilkguns
#10 ·
Pilk', your thread title gave me pause. A buddy's brother in law has a similar issue in a different context. ;)

Intrigued by the Chinese pistol; how is fit and function? Any notion how the stainless parts work together? (galling, etc)?
Moon

#12 · (Edited)
Pilk', your thread title gave me pause. A buddy's brother in law has a similar issue in a different context. ;)

Intrigued by the Chinese pistol; how is fit and function? Any notion how the stainless parts work together? (galling, etc)?
Moon
Moon, since you are asking two questions, does that make it a joint inquiry?

The finish on these 1952 made is not great at their production best. But that is true of most military firearms to a lesser or greater degree.

It seems to hand cycle adequately and the fit is important where it counts. These guns don’t have a good reputation which may be based in reality or just the bias of a Communist Chinese copy of a beloved name brand pistol. . I personally never shot this before this tear down and beauty enhancement and doubt I will once it is all back together

#13 ·
The finish is not stainless. It’s just in what we call “in the white” meaning the blueing has been removed as in this case or not yet applied as in a new gun.

#15 ·
I’ve used kerosene years ago. I don’t like the smell and absorbing it into your skin.

Reactions: Redcat94
#16 ·
Pilk, deftly played, and very funny. :D

Presumed facts not in evidence when I saw the silver appearance. What finish do you envision when you're done?
Learning something new is among the reasons to get on this forum. Is your pistol really a PP clone, or more of a Mak?
Moon

#17 ·
#22 ·
Moon, thats a pity those are gone, i know i've saved them in the past so Ive got copies somewhere. but I'm sure if you google chinese PPK, you will find several. Often they are on British pages as demil guns for sale.

and yes, this is the real deal, there ain't no practice to it.

#21 · (Edited)
hahahaa, I see you've done this before. lots of wiggling them in between

#23 ·
Pilk', it's a gorgeous morning sitting in the gazebo, and I don't want to spoil it looking at demils....
Anxious to see your finished product; is this a commission, or just for grits and shins?
Best,
Moon

#24 ·
Moon. It is a “spec” piece as in speculation that I will offer for sale on completion. I expect to sell it for very serious money. That said. In regards to your previous quality question I now have some personal experience. This hole was not present originally. It slowly appeared as I sanded down. It is cavernous looking inside under the microscope. There are other indicators that this problem could spear else where due to poor metallurgy....... not a good thing for an engraver.

#26 ·
yes...... gonna try microwelding maybe..... but where else might hese landmines be hiding

#27 ·
#28 ·
I have found many of those inclusions when working on stainless Colts. You find a tiny flyspeck and you try and polish it out, and it just grows and grows the more you polish. Can't recall ever seeing it in regular steel though.

I have never tried microwelding, but I have had several guns TIG welded. The problem is that this often leaves "ghost marks" in the bluing, so it might be better to work it into the engraving. Maybe you just found the best place for some gold inlay? Improvise, adapt and overcome... ;)

#29 ·
Well, hell Pilk'. That's trouble you don't need. Nada on the link, BTW, but I'll cheerfully wait to see the one you're working on.
BTW, it's amazing that the Chinese could make a (presumably) functioning PP-series, and S&W struggled with it.
And mechanical things aren't the only items the Chinese steal...it's one of the issues in our trade talks.
Moon

#31 ·
Olaf. I think that looks great and Im looking forward to working with you on our other project but this gun is getting grips cast from ancient alloy of bronze

#32 ·
Porosity is one of the great bugaboos in gun parts made from investment castings. It's an especially acute problem with stainless because the stainless alloys most commonly used in firearms (410, 420, etc.) are chosen because they are machinable; unfortunately those also tend to be "dirty" steel, with lots of impurities with inclusions, stringers and voids. Some alloys also cannot be heat-treated very well if at all.

Corrosion resistance is wonderful, but for some applications ordinary alloy steels are superior. Just a fact of life. All design choices are compromises.

M

#33 ·
Will a magnet stick to this alloy even though it is stainless. If so, you might be able to have it magnafluxed to look for other problem areas. Some grades of Stainless don't have any iron in them or whatever allows them to be magnetized. We are finishing installing a salt water grade stainless steel cable rail system at a Client's house. A magnet will barely stick to the posts and no other parts. 2205 I think is what the posts are. 1917

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.