Fort Smith PPK/S joins the family - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2019, 01:36 PM   #1

Trooper Joe .22
Fort Smith PPK/S joins the family

Just picked up my Fort Smith PPK/S (bottom photo with custom grips). It was going to join the Interarms PPK/S (upper left of photo) but I also just picked up a German made (1975) PPK/S (blued one upper right of photo) at a gun show yesterday. Got a nice group now.

The Fort Smith grips fit on both of the other PPK/S models so I swapped the stock grips with the custom grips that used to live on the Interarms model. Found out that one of my Interarms magazines with the finger extension (about 1984 vintage) was a little tight in my new German and Fort Smith models.

Am taking all the boys to the range this week. Real excited about this new family of great guns.

Will try and get better photo's of the Fort Smith PPK/S in a couple of days.

Trooper Joe
Trooper Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 06-23-2019, 01:46 PM   #2

DukeIronHand .22
Nice! Congratulations.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:26 PM   #3

Kar98 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper Joe View Post
The Fort Smith grips fit on both of the other PPK/S
See now THAT is good info to have!
JamesBondJr and Redcat94 like this.
Kar98 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2019, 10:33 PM   #4

halfmoonclip .22
The highly figured grips extend all the way to the rear of the slide, which greatly diminish the appearance of the new tang.
Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:43 PM   #5

Jimmo952 .22
Congratulations! Let us know how it shoots!
Jimmo952 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:18 PM   #6

Trooper Joe .22
RANGE REPORT (Is this the perfect PPK/S?)

Just got back from the range and the performance was much better than I expected, try perfect.

This is a 7 yard group, a little high, but probably right on at 25 yards if I could only see that far. Tried ball ammo and some WW flat nose. The flat nose feeding probably indicates that this gun will most likely feed anything. Halfmoonclip mentioned that these custom grips sort of subdue the long tang. If I remember right, I had to do a little fitting to get these grips to fit on my 1984 Interarms PPK/S. Guess they were probably made for a S&W PPK/S. They dropped right on to this gun so the fitting for my '84 probably made that possible.

Interesting thing happened when I tried to shoot this German, 1975, PPK/S that I picked up Saturday. It hiccupped on both the flat nose and fmj/ball ammo. Tried the new magazine that came with my new Fort Smith PPK/S, and everything fed perfectly.

Did I say that this may be the perfect PPK/S? I believe it is if you want a fully functional carry gun of this type. I think the extended tang feels great (and does not even look bad with these custom grips installed). The beautifully polished feed ramp performs at 100 per cent as it should. It is very accurate and feels great when you shoot it.

Just my thoughts, but I am very pleased.

Trooper Joe
Old 07-02-2019, 08:22 AM   #7

JamesBondJr .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper Joe View Post
The Fort Smith grips fit on both of the other PPK/S models
From what I saw another member said the S&W grips will not fit, but I gather that you say the Interarms fit? I wonder if I'd be safe ordering Altamont grips for an Interarms for my 2019.

Last edited by JamesBondJr; 07-02-2019 at 08:25 AM.
JamesBondJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:53 AM   #8

PeterA .22
I just bought an ALtamont grip for the S&W and it fit the new PPK/S. I had to do some minor sanding but it wasn't that much.
PeterA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:25 AM   #9

JamesBondJr .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
I just bought an ALtamont grip for the S&W and it fit the new PPK/S. I had to do some minor sanding but it wasn't that much.
I just emailed Hogue to see what they say on the matter. I'll post back my findings.

I haven't even taken delivery and I'm already trying to modify the thing!
JamesBondJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:00 AM   #10

Trooper Joe .22
S&W PPK/S Grips will probably not fit Fort Smith PPK/S

I agree that S&W PPK/S grips will probably not fit the Interarms, German, or Fort Smith PPK/S guns. The fancy grips I installed on my new Fort Smith PPK/S, had been installed on my Interarms PPK/S.

As I remember (it has been a number of years ago) I had to do some minor fitting to install them on my Interarms PPK/S. So I am now assuming that they were probably made for a S&W PPK/S.

I have found that the grips that came with my new Fort Smith PPK/S, fit perfectfully on my both my Interarms and German made PPK/S.

They also fit perfectly on both of my German made .32 PP and .380 PP.

Several days ago, I discussed this with a customer service representative at the Fort Smith Walther plant. He advised that the only thing they kept (design wise) from the S&W design, was the extended tang and the feed ramp. He agreed that my new (Fort Smith) PPK/S grips will fit on the Interarms and German PPK/S thus confirming my observation.

I actually ordered a second set of stock PPK/S grips from him for a spare set.

Hope this clarifies this matter.

By the way, if I found another set of these beautiful "presentation" grips that may have been made to fit a S&W PPK/S, I would buy them anyway since the fitting I had to do was pretty minor.

Trooper Joe
JamesBondJr likes this.

Last edited by Trooper Joe; 07-02-2019 at 02:14 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series