Problem or PPK/S idiosyncrasy? - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2019, 05:51 PM   #1

Tenbones Unproven
Problem or PPK/S idiosyncrasy?

I haven't had much chance to play with my new PPK/S since I got it last month and at that time I noticed that after I inserted a mag and chambered a round the mag would not drop free if I pressed the mag release. I thought this was odd but I didn't pay it much mind until today when I decided to look into it a little more closely.

It appears that when in insert a full, or even partially full, mag and chamber a round and then hit the mag release that the mag only drops down about a 1/4 of an inch and then is stubborn to pull out. What appears to be happening is when I chamber a round the next round is moved forward about a sixteenth of an inch or so by the forward movement of the slide and thus if I try and remove the mag that round is sticking out just far enough to bind up on the feed ramp making for a stubborn removal. It will do this with the first round to the last one, in both mags. It doesn't interfere with the firing of the gun as it chambers the round without a problem, but if I want to make a speed change of a partial mag to a full one, then it would not be a smooth process.

I should also mention that the mags drop free when empty or when all the rounds are lined up.

So, being relatively new to the PPK/S, I am curious if this is an inherent problem, or just mine.

Last edited by Tenbones; 06-21-2019 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Clarity
Tenbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 06-21-2019, 07:32 PM   #2

DukeIronHand .22
FWIW my mags seem to eject normally full, partially full, or empty.
But I may not have paid real attention to a slight hang-up once.
I’ll pay attention now and advise.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:41 PM   #3

DE Pistole .22
When you chamber around it can cause to next round to move forward just enough to cause what you are experiencing. This is normal.
halfmoonclip likes this.
DE Pistole is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2019, 08:24 PM   #4

halfmoonclip .22
You said 'mags'; do both of your mags do this?
If the gun runs normally, I wouldn't worry about it.
Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:36 PM   #5

Tenbones Unproven
Ya, both mags, but like you say, I'm not going to worry about it. I just thought it was a little unusual and with my limited PPK/S knowlege I wasn't quite sure.

Thanks guys for your input.
DE Pistole likes this.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:23 AM   #6

TheWatcher .22
What you are experiencing is normal. Now if the magazines are doing such while empty, then the issue would be with the grip panels.

Currently looking for .380 PPK and PPK/S frames or parts guns. Please PM me if you have one to sell.
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:44 PM   #7
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenbones View Post

... What appears to be happening is when I chamber a round the next round is moved forward about a sixteenth of an inch or so by the forward movement of the slide and thus if I try and remove the mag that round is sticking out just far enough to bind up on the feed ramp making for a stubborn removal. ...

I am curious if this is an inherent problem, or just mine.
What, you thought there was no price to be paid for hogging out the feed ramp so it would feed those fat aggressive hollowpoints?

The problem is non-existent or negligible in original Walther, Manurhin or Interarms PP-series pistols. Not so in S&W and new Walther.

M
halfmoonclip and Tenbones like this.

Last edited by MGMike; 06-22-2019 at 04:47 PM.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:22 PM   #8

Tenbones Unproven
It looks like if they had started the slope/angle of the feed ramp just a little further up this problem wouldn't exist and it would still feed hollow points.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:47 PM   #9

Richrpilot .22
I have the identical experience with my Manurhin.
Richrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:29 PM   #10

Austin Powers .22
My S&W PPK/S had this problem for awhile before the magazines had been broken in.

The mag springs are just so strong when new that as the first round is chambered the next round gets pushed up before the first round has fully chambered, causing the head of the first round to catch the next round, dragging it forward a short distance.

A remedy I had found was to attempt to drop the magazine, then slap it back into place and drop it again, it should drop free on the second attempt.
Eventually the problem will go away once the mag springs have been worn in a bit.
I've entrusted my life to a S&W PPK/S-1, it may not be able to stop the illusive 7ft/300Lbs+ Meth Head wearing 5 layers of denim and wielding a car door as a shield, but I'm fairly certain I can outrun such a beast, especially after dumping 7 rounds of .380 ACP into him.
Austin Powers is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series