I need the support of "MGMike" with this problem, please. - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2019, 11:59 PM   #1

primerwalther .22
Unhappy I need the support of "MGMike" with this problem, please.

I need the support of "MGMike". Hello everyone, I just bought this PPK from Interarms, I need the help of some expert from the forum, the weapon is really new, the owner has it saved since he bought it, the mechanism is very firm, I tried to remove and slide the recoil spring to clean it, however, no matter how hard you try, you can not pull it out or slide up. That could be happening? Can someone guide me because the gun is very new what could be happening? I have not shot it yet. Olsul, a member here told me about this forum and that he was looking for "MGMike", he knows everything, sorry if my English and my terms are not so good. Thank you.
primerwalther is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 06-14-2019, 05:48 AM   #2
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
I am thinking that the previous owner replaced the recoil spring backwards. I remember MGMike had a solution to this issue but try as I might I can't find it in search so I suggested prime reach out to MGMike for help as he has forgotten more about Rangers than the rest of us will know.
PPS1980 likes this.
olsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:58 AM   #3
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
There are three methods; any of them will probably work.

1) It's unlikely that the recoil spring is in backward. If you can't get the slide off because the spring might be in backward, how did the previous owner (who kept it new in the safe) get it back on after reversing the spring?

The problem more likely is that the spring is too long or too heavy and is "going solid" before the slide reaches the disassembly point. Stop trying to disassemble the pistol. Take it out and shoot a box of ammo through it. That probably will distort the spring enough that one or more coils will nest, thereby increasing the slide's available travel. Then go home and try disassembly again.

OR

2) Remove the grips, pull down the trigger guard and prop it open with a thin piece of plastic. Now clamp the frame in a leather-padded bench vise, being VERY careful to grip it up high where there are internal webs that support the frame. THE POINT IS TO AVOID CRUSHING THE FRAME. To avoid scratches, cover the frame flats with vinyl electrical tape. Do not clamp the frame where you will be squeezing the mag catch or the sear.

With the frame securely held by the vise, use both hands to retract the slide smartly, as far as it will go, then pull up on the rear. At some point it did go on, so it will come off.

OR

3) Take it to a gunsmith.

In any event, once it's off, order a new lighter spring from Wolff's.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2019, 09:10 AM   #4
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
Mike it was my supposition that the spring was reversed because that had happened to a previous person and you had solved their issue.
primerwalther likes this.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:13 AM   #5

OmegaJB .22
If it's not the spring that isn't compressing enough for the back to lift up it could be part 32 on this diagram. Mine walked out slightly causing assembly and disassembly issues.

Before I figured it out I had to push the slide to the left when it was back all the way to get it to clear the frame.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
OmegaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:04 AM   #6

GeoNole94 .22
General question, but could incipient steel galling be adding just enough extra grippiness to prevent full travel or release?
Old 06-15-2019, 08:44 AM   #7
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
olsoul: Different circumstances, different diagnosis.
OmegaGB: Doubtful in these circumstances.
GeoNole94: No, but a slight increase in wire diameter might. See https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/...l-springs.html (which nobody ever reads).

M
Old 06-15-2019, 10:41 AM   #8

halfmoonclip .22
As an alternate, related choice to Mike's #2, hold the trigger guard open (coin/plastic), and push the slide's front, above the barrel, against a non-marring surface, like the edge of a workbench. This may create enough movement to lift the rear of the slide.
Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:29 PM   #9
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
As an alternate, related choice to Mike's #2, hold the trigger guard open (coin/plastic), and push the slide's front, above the barrel, against a non-marring surface, like the edge of a workbench. This may create enough movement to lift the rear of the slide.
Moon
Moon: I never enjoyed much success with that method. It can be done, but there is not much purchase on the slide around the barrel of a PP-series Walther to keep it from slipping off whatever you're pushing against.

The principle, however, is sound. It's much easier if one uses a wooden dowel down the barrel seated against the breech face, leaving enough dowel protruding from the muzzle to obtain a full slide stroke. Then push the dowel against a vertical surface.

I do that sometimes to free up a case stuck in a pistol chamber when the extractor won't let go.

M
halfmoonclip and olsoul like this.

Last edited by MGMike; 06-15-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:21 PM   #10
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
I used the above method too on one of my PPs.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/pp-tp-series/118212-i-need-support-mgmike-problem-please.html

Click on a term to search for related topics.