Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Johnnyk
  • 1 Post By Jimbo80

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2019, 01:00 PM   #1

Johnnyk .22
PPK .22 range report

Picked up a PPK-L .22 from "Collectors Firearms" a few days ago. I have to say I am somewhat stunned as to its performance.
I have other Walther .22's - A PP, PPK/S and a TPH. The PP and PPK/S have the occasional failure to feed or extract (say, 1-2 of every 100 rounds depending on ammo) and the TPH sometimes needs another strike on the primer for ignition.
The PPK, a '68 vintage, after over 400 rds. of CCI 40 gr. solids and 40 rounds of 36 gr. hollow points has been 100% reliable.
I thought the PPK mags held 8 rds., but mine easily takes 9 and inserts with the slide forward just fine.
Accuracy has been decent, around 2 1/2" 5-shot groups at 25 yards, about 2-3" high from p.o.a.
Did I luck out with this one? Needless to say, although somewhat astronomical in cost I'm one happy customer!
Jimbo80 and Redcat94 like this.
Johnnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 06-13-2019, 01:22 PM   #2

Jimbo80 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyk View Post
Needless to say, although somewhat astronomical in cost I'm one happy customer!
The good thing about a .22 PPK you think you paid too much for is that after you shoot it it becomes worth every penny. They're not only beautiful but truly are a dream to shoot. I have some occasional issues with HP ammo not feeding properly but pretty much any round nose ammo works fine in all 3 of my .22s.

Last edited by Jimbo80; 06-13-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Jimbo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #3

Redcat94 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyk View Post
Did I luck out with this one?
For a PPK-L .22 I would say so. How was your experience dealing with Collectors Firearms ? I don't believe I've ever purchased anything from them before.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:21 PM   #4

Johnnyk .22
My first time doing business with them. I actually traded in a PPK/S .22 and a later production PP .380 towards the PPK-L. They gave me more than I thought they would offer for each one. If you were to figure out how much I had in to each gun (one was from the Cabelas website, the other from Armslist) I got exactly what I paid for them - didn't lose a dime.
I'm kind of interested in seeing what they list the PPK/S .22 for since the thing about it is it was mismarked from the factory as a PP model. I had spotted it on the Cabelas website and snatched it up, even though I already had a PPK/S. When I brought up the purchase here on the Forum I thought a few guys kind of ostracized me by making comments like "Gee, he thinks he has the Holly Grail", so it will be interesting to see what they price it at.
Anyway, it's fun to peruse their catalog just for fun if nothing else.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:35 AM   #5

JERRYS. .22
I thought about getting a ppk .22 but since I have a p22 and ruger mkII and the ppk .22 wont be a self defense arm, I talked myself out of it reasonably quick. for those that have them, what was the reason you picked the ppk .22?
JERRYS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:40 PM   #6

Johnnyk .22
The quality...the almost mirror finish on the flats of the slide...the way it fits in my hand...an added member to the collection of Walthers...and the biggest reason I picked it up - because I wanted one, had for years but never thought I could afford it. Just as a "treat" for myself I guess.
Wow, this thing is amazing. I've had it for maybe a week now and have had it out to the range I think 5 times and well over 600 rounds through it, the vast majority CCI Mini Mag 40 grain solids. Z e r o malfunctions. And that has been loading the magazine with 9 after putting one in the chamber. I started doing this just so I wouldn't have to stop and load another one for firing 2, 5-shot groups, but then kept doing it as a functioning test.
I have lots of other .22 pistols as well, the P-22, a PPK/S, a PP, a TPH, a couple of MkII's, a 1954 Colt Challenger, a 16-shot Taurus TX22 (a very neat gun), an old Charter Arms Pathfinder revolver, a Pietta 10-shot "Peacemaker" 4 5/8" and even an Erma RX22 which was meant to look like a PPK. These are all fun guns, but just not a "don't make'em like that anymore" PPK from the 60's.
I guess it's like getting to own a vintage Chris Craft when you've been wanting one for 20 years...finally scratching the itch as it were.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:30 PM   #7

Jimbo80 .22
My recently acquired .22 PPK has replaced the .32 as the gun that's going in the hole with me. It's that good!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Walther PPK 22.jpg (150.6 KB, 8 views)
DE Pistole likes this.
Jimbo80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series