WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2019, 10:23 AM  
Supporting Member

tda003 .22
Ft. Smith vs S&W

This has probably been asked and answered before, but I can't find it. What is the difference between the PPS/S pistols made by S&W and those being produced at Fort Smith?
Old 05-17-2019, 11:17 AM  

halfmoonclip .22
Ft. Smith has reputedly adopted the Smith feedramp (for hollowpoints), and of course the beavertail schnozz.
Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
Old 05-17-2019, 11:33 AM  

DE Pistole .22
I think of the Smith pistols as a combination of the Zella-Mehlis PPK slide and the S&W frame.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:07 PM  

PeterA .22
I checked with Altamont company who makes after market grips for the PPK and PPK/S. They told me that the old S&W PPK/S grips will not fit the new Ft. Smith frame. They are working on grips for the new PPK/S and will notify me when they become available.
JamesBondJr likes this.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:08 PM  

DE Pistole .22
I think of the Smith pistols as a combination of the Zella-Mehlis PPK slide and the S&W frame.

"S&W frame" given feed ramp and extended tang.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:45 PM  

Austin Powers .22
As far as aesthetics are concerned, the Fort Smith PPK(/S) is better-looking than my late production S&W PPK/S due to the slide being rounded off more nicely.

I'm not sure about reliability/function since I've never shot nor handled a Fort Smith model, but then again, according to many folks here, my S&W PPK/S is the exception to the rule when it comes to reliability because it has been 100% reliable since the day I bought it, so depending on who you ask the Fort Smith model might be better by default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DE Pistole View Post
The ZM PPK's slide actually has a unique cut to it which doesn't taper off at the muzzle like all other PPK(/S) models which came after it.
I've entrusted my life to a S&W PPK/S-1, it may not be able to stop the illusive 7ft/300Lbs+ Meth Head wearing 5 layers of denim and wielding a car door as a shield, but I'm fairly certain I can outrun such a beast, especially after dumping 7 rounds of .380 ACP into him.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:15 PM  

DE Pistole .22
My .32 ACP S&W PPK is 100% reliable with any ammo I feed it. That was not always the case for me with ZM and Ulm pistols.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:06 PM  

dlhamil .22
PPK-S 4-Sale (S&W vsn.)

Fyi, I have posted a steal-of-a-deal price on my S&W version PPK-S in the For Sale/Trade/Buy section of the forum.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:12 PM  

cocojo Unproven
I see everyone keeps saying the s&w frames. In reality they were built and cast by Ruger at the pine tree casing company here in NH. The older Ranger frames were also cast there.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:15 AM  

JamesBondJr .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
I checked with Altamont company who makes after market grips for the PPK and PPK/S. They told me that the old S&W PPK/S grips will not fit the new Ft. Smith frame. They are working on grips for the new PPK/S and will notify me when they become available.
You just saved me a couple bucks and a headache. Thanks for this!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series