What to do with a War era PP - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2019, 08:03 PM   #1

MapleHill .22
What to do with a War era PP

Hi all, I have wanted a PP or PPK in 32 badly for years. Kept cruising the LGS until low and behold the shop down the road from my house had one in on consignment. I looked at it quick, looked OK, dirty and small cracks in the grip panels, but OK. I just wanted a shooter. They said they hadn't got the holster or magazine yet, but will have them the next day. I picked it up today and the minute I saw the holster it looked like a war era holster. Sure enough, looked holster and pistol over closer and they are both stamped with the Waffenampt (sp). Holster has a name of a soldier, I'm guessing the one that brought it back. So now the conundrum. I had an AC44 P38 that I sold because I was afraid to shoot it. I like to shoot, I don't plan to shoot this a lot, but I do want to use it some. Should I sell it and/or trade for a post war model? I already ordered new grip panels and another magazine. Should I just keep it and shoot it occasionally like I had planned?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PP1.jpg (203.4 KB, 41 views)
MapleHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 04-05-2019, 09:45 PM   #2
Supporting Member

Pudge .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleHill View Post
So now the conundrum. I had an AC44 P38 that I sold because I was afraid to shoot it.
Was you afraid to shoot it because you thought it was too old and mechanically unsafe, or was you afraid of decreasing the value by shooting it? Seen both around here.

I would take it to a reputable gun smith and have it checked out. If it checks out, I would shoot it. The engineering that went into the pre-war and wartime Walther firearms was as good if not better than what they are putting out today. Plus the 32 isn't a high pressure round so you should be good to go. Lot's of members around here shoot their PPs often.

If you take some close up high detail photos in indirect sunlight of all sides and all markings, the experts around here would be glad to provide lots of info about your pp. Include some pics of the holster also.

They would probably also have some tips on how to check the de-cocker and other safety issues.

Pudge

Last edited by Pudge; 04-05-2019 at 09:48 PM.
Pudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:29 AM   #3

Redcat94 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleHill View Post
Should I just keep it and shoot it occasionally like I had planned?
Welcome to the forum.

That's what I would do. Keep it lubricated, use standard pressure ammunition and you should be fine. I have several WWII and older guns that I shoot including a 1940 PPK and a mid-war PP. The oldest pistol that I shoot was made in 1909.

Enjoy your new pistol.

Old 04-06-2019, 06:36 AM   #4

MapleHill .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
Was you afraid to shoot it because you thought it was too old and mechanically unsafe, or was you afraid of decreasing the value by shooting it? Seen both around here.
Pudge
When I got the P38 I was not looking for one. Happened upon it and didn't know anything about it. I searched and found another Walther collector forum. It was recommended on that forum not to shoot it due to the possibility of serialized parts breaking. I do have Marschall's book Walther Pistols 1-PPX, tons of info in there. I am pretty sure I have a 1944 issued PP in 32ACP. I was looking for a PP so I plan to shoot this one. I just thought there was a possibility to get this in the hands of a collector and get me one that was just a shooter grade, post war model. Not sure the collectability of it with the damage grips, one mag which has a damaged finger rest. The rest of the pistol looks good considering it's age, not as good as the P38 I had, but good. I got it right, so I could easily make a profit, but I don't want to sell it and take a chance of not finding another one locally.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:05 AM   #5

153 .22
Keep whatever parts that you replace in a baggie. Clean and oil the pistol, don’t take it into combat and you'll be fine. I would also set the holster aside.

"The beggar who is sitting in the marketplace is completely deaf in so much as far as listening to the song that is coming from the Mockingbird is concerned."

Bond's Walther PPK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SimIUgsMQQk

Bond's Beretta: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Bc...ature=youtu.be
153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:57 PM   #6

MapleHill .22
Thanks for the info guys. I got to shoot it this weekend and it is very accurate. It functions fine, just needs a good cleaning. New grips are coming, a couple Mec-Gar magazines and a Shamrock holster to use regularly. The "old" parts I will store away to prevent further damage.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series