WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2019, 11:18 AM   #61

Jimmo952 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzPig View Post
A more practical solution would be a locked breech pistol styled like a PP series. Call it say, the NP... Neu Pistole.
Agreed. If building a pistol from the ground up, a locked breech would be the way to go. Less recoil by a considerable margin. Perhaps more reliable over a wider range of ammo and conditions.

I am still surprised Walther never took their successful P99 design and scaled it down into a modern, concealable 380. Instead we've been treated to the likes of the PK380 and soon the CCP 380 edition.

The PPK is in a league of it's own due to the history and mystique of the thing. I think of it as kind of like when a car company comes out with a modern take on a classic roadster. The new version is not quite the same but perhaps slighty more practical.
halfmoonclip likes this.
Jimmo952 is online now   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 04-07-2019, 11:57 AM   #62
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmo952 View Post
... If building a pistol from the ground up, a locked breech would be the way to go. ...

... The new version is not quite the same but perhaps slightly more practical.
But it would be a DIFFERENT gun.

There are (at least) three salient factors which often tug in opposite and frustrating directions when designing any gun for a specified cartridge: Size, weight, and cost.

M
pilkguns likes this.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:11 PM   #63

Jimmo952 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
But it would be a DIFFERENT gun.

There are (at least) three salient factors which often tug in opposite and frustrating directions when designing any gun for a specified cartridge: Size, weight, and cost.

M
I understand. Yes, it would be different.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:25 PM   #64

halfmoonclip .22
Spent three days at the river, and this was among my profound thoughts, in addition to the beer inventory. The PPK and the G42 cast essentially the same shadow; I've been meaning to take them both apart and see, for grits and shins, if there is any room for a Browing tilting barrel in the PPK package.
Whether it would be worth the effort to bring the PPK comfortably into the 21st century; as Mike noted, size, weight and cost...and it would be a different gun.
I'll need to look at the parts from both; one issue right off the top; a recoil spring over the barrel isn't normally done with Brownings.
Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:35 AM   #65

hk940 .22
Locked breech?

Quote:
A more practical solution would be a locked breech pistol styled like a PP series. Call it say, the NP... Neu Pistole.

I had a PP back in the late 70's I don't remember it being a locked breech.
Has the design been changed since?
hk940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:19 AM   #66

BlitzPig .22
I am only speculating/dreaming here, about a small single stack pistol with a browning type action, that actually looks good, and not like a Glock/PPS etc...
Old 04-08-2019, 07:19 AM   #67

Jimmo952 .22
Quote:
I am only speculating/dreaming here, about a small single stack pistol with a browning type action, that actually looks good, and not like a Glock/PPS etc...

I'm with you a blitzpig. I understand the sentiment. While I respect Glocks and own a few, including the G42, it's hard to get excited about them. They set the bar for cost effective function over form and it worked! Now most of the industry is following them.
halfmoonclip and pilkguns like this.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:20 PM   #68

Ofc.JL .22
A kicking PPK/S can be tamed somewhat by finding what ammo you and it like, and then getting a recoil spring package from Wolff. Put in stiffer springs until reliability suffers, and then back off the poundage of the spring to the next weaker spring. Takes a good bit of the slam bite out of the pistol. But the PPK-PPK/S were designed around the .32 Browning cartridge, so in .380, the pistol is over powered for it's size.
During WWII, Mauser of Germany designed a pistol to compete w/ Walther and the PP-PPK pistols the Wehrmacht was buying so many of. Mauser called it the HSc and it was in .32 cal. After the War, somewhere along the way, Mauser decided to bring back the HSc in .380 to sell in the US and Europe. Big mistake, the HSc in.380 will break itself in short order. That's why you don't see many of them in the US still. .32's don't sell well here, but .380's do. If they don't break.
NO S&W's
Ofc.JL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:30 PM   #69

halfmoonclip .22
Ofc', had an HSc in .380; looked neat as hell, but felt like crap. It wasn't much fun to shoot.
The Sig iteration (230) is a little bigger but alloy framed, and not quite as rappy IIRC. The .32 version is just a sweetheart.
This kinda reminds me of the Brits trying to stretch their 4-cylinder engine machinery for a little more displacement out of a 1200cc.
Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series