WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2019, 09:25 AM   #11

Jimmo952 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenbones View Post
I happened to check Davidsons Distributors, they are one of the bigger firearms distributors, and they show the blued version of the PPK/S to be 'Out of Stock', and the stainless model as "'Unavaliable'. This item is currently Allocated."

I take that to mean that their stainless models are already spoken for and will be gone as soon as they get them.

I am skeptical of claims that small, individual gun shops are already selling them because most major gun manufacturers do not deal directly with individual gun shops.
I dont claim to know the inner workings of gun distributors, dealers and manufacturers.

I did see a stainless PPK/S for sale at a smaller local shop in northern Illinois. It was the new Fort Smith addition and was brand new. I got to fondle it, remove the slide and look over fairly carefully.

I dont know where they got it from but I saw what I saw. 100% sure of it.
Jimmo952 is online now   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 03-28-2019, 09:37 AM   #12

halfmoonclip .22
While I'm generally in agreement with Mike and Jimmo, it does seem individual examples of 'new' or particularly desirable guns pop up in odd places. Like anything else in this world, especially politics in Chicago, who you know may make a difference.
Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:51 AM   #13

Tenbones Unproven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmo952 View Post
I dont claim to know the inner workings of gun distributors, dealers and manufacturers.

I did see a stainless PPK/S for sale at a smaller local shop in northern Illinois. It was the new Fort Smith addition and was brand new. I got to fondle it, remove the slide and look over fairly carefully.

I dont know where they got it from but I saw what I saw. 100% sure of it.
I don't doubt you. Obviously they got it from somewhere. I suspect it is a situation of, "I know someone who knows someone.....", and some lucky gun shops are able to get one, or two, ahead of everyone else.

Regardless, the end of March shipping date is almost here....

Ah, I see halfmoonclip pretty much said the same thing.

Last edited by Tenbones; 03-28-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Tenbones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2019, 11:18 AM   #14

Jimmo952 .22
No worries. At the time I saw it, I didn't realize I was looking at the proverbial unicorn.

Let's hope they soon become more available to anyone who wants one.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:24 AM   #15

Jimmo952 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
While I'm generally in agreement with Mike and Jimmo, it does seem individual examples of 'new' or particularly desirable guns pop up in odd places. Like anything else in this world, especially politics in Chicago, who you know may make a difference.
Moon
Good comment about Chicago. The Jussie Smellit affair has given "The Chicago Way" some recent national exposure.

However that PPK/S ended up in Marengo, Illinois I'm sure it was more on the up and up than what happened with Mr Smullet.
halfmoonclip likes this.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:55 PM   #16

DE Pistole .22
I won't be buying any more pistols, but in three-five years there will be some Fort Smiths available as used guns. I've always thought it's likely not uncommon for PPKS / PPK buyers to "give up" too early on their new Walthers because of slide/hammer bite or for being unable to get their blow-back Walthers to cycle properly, both because of improper grip. (The extended tang only minimizes the chance of slide/hammer bite.) This "give up" is most likely with 380.
BlitzPig likes this.

Last edited by DE Pistole; 03-28-2019 at 12:59 PM.
DE Pistole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:09 PM   #17

Kar98 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DE Pistole View Post
I won't be buying any more pistols, but in three-five years there will be some Fort Smiths available as used guns. I've always thought it's likely not uncommon for PPKS / PPK buyers to "give up" too early on their new Walthers because of slide/hammer bite or for being unable to get their blow-back Walthers to cycle properly, both because of improper grip. (The extended tang only minimizes the chance of slide/hammer bite.) This "give up" is most likely with 380.
I think that's how I got my PPS M1 so cheap. Looked like no more than 20 rounds got fired through it and never carried when I got it (it doesn't look like that anymore, LOL), totally mint looking, and it cost me like $175.
I'm suspecting the original buyer couldn't handle the paddle mag release or the looks/shape.
Kar98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:32 PM   #18

volosong .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenbones View Post
I am skeptical of claims that small, individual gun shops are already selling them because most major gun manufacturers do not deal directly with individual gun shops.
Yet here I sit with a Fort Smith stainless PPK/S on the chair beside me that was purchased from an independent sporting goods store located in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.

Black Sheep is located across the parking lot from the local Costco and I frequently stop in just to see if Ruger have finally decided to make a stainless version of the Mark IV standard, (nope, not yet). On one of my periodic visits several weeks ago, I saw a stainless PPk/S under the counter with the other .380 semis and knew exactly what it was. Told the counter fellow that I'd take it then and there.

I do not know from where the got it, nor do I care. I was happy that they had one available.
volosong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:13 PM   #19
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Just because it's a stainless PPK/s and marked "Fort Smith" does not mean it's a new-issue gun (with that elusive German slide).

How about showing a photo of your acquisition --BOTH sides, WITH the serial number?

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:40 PM   #20

halfmoonclip .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DE Pistole View Post

As regards your first remark, many here have told that same lie. We won't hold you to it; your spouse may be another matter.

As regards the second, all you mentioned is no doubt true; they can be finicky eaters, but they feel so damned good in your hand at the gunshop. They just aren't much fun to shoot in .380; guns that aren't fun to shoot live in the safe or go back to a dealer.
Moon
Jimbo80 and DE Pistole like this.
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series