WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PK380

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2017, 02:44 AM   #1

kensmith .22
My PK380 Range Report etc

Ok folks,

According to the datecode on the pistol, it was built in 2016, so a newer model. Donīt know, how long it was at the dealer before I got it.

So I put about 300 rounds through my PK380, sinse I had it (about 6 weeks).
No FTF, no FTE. Had one single round not go into the chamber fully, but that was it.

So it seems the reliability is there.
What I have read on different forums and reports on the PK380 ist when owners don`t clean the factory grease off the new PK380 before shooting it the first time, they have FTF and FTE issues.

So, hint #1
Give a factory new PK380 a good degrease and good lube before using it first time.

The missing slidestop/-release dosn`t bother me at all. Also the manual safety is no real issue for me, but I also must add, that I don`t carry the PK380 for self defence. Itīs only for competition and recreational shooting (yes having fun at the range)

The feel of this little gun is really nice. The ergonomics of the grip and the frame size are really nice. Not to big, not to small. Fits perfectly in my medium sized hands.
Racking the silde is really easy compared to my Beretta 82bb, that is roughly the same size as the PK380.

Shooting the PK380 is really fun. Recoil is pretty low and really nice to handle.

The trigger is ok, could be a bit lighter, but that can be fixed. DA is hard and a long squeeze. SA is short and fairly crisp with a nice reset.

Now, one major downside is are the sights.
The three dot sights have decent site aquirement, but the left and right gap between front and rear sight is a bit to large.
Walther however doesn`t have any replacement sights, what I find pretty dumb.

Also as it seems, the fron sight is way to high. It measures 6mm (0.236 inch) in hight.
Reading throuh several forums and reports, most of them have stated, that the PK380 shoots pretty low.
On a distance of approx. 10m (10 yards) I have a drop of an average of 14cm (5.5inches).
On the attached picture my POA was the top black mark.

According to a thread here in the forum, Glock front sights should fit, after ripping off the original front sight. But I havn`t got any confirmation on this yet.

I am taking my PK380 to my gunsmith tomorrow. He will shoot it and make a custom front sight (or slap on a Glock front sight?).

All in all, I am happy with my PK380. It shoots nice and seems to be reliable. The groupings are fine for me. And one should also not forget, you can`t really expect wonders from a pistol in that price range.

What I don`t understand though, is the fact, that it is a known issue of the PK380 shooting low left and Walther dosn`t offer replacement sights.

To be continued.........
kensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 08-07-2017, 05:14 AM   #2

MochaJoe .22
My response is that you're jumping to conclusions. Leave the stock sights on the gun and work on the fundamentals. The reason a shooter misses is always the shooter's fault. Unless there is a major defect with a barrel or ammo, or the gun is filthy, that projectile will travel straight. Practice more with that particular gun.
Fritzdecatze likes this.

www.tocchiophotos.com

Treat every gun as if it is loaded, until you have verified otherwise.
MochaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:26 AM   #3

kensmith .22
Four different shooters and all low left.......my gunsmith will look at it

Also, going through different threads here in this forum aswell as other forums all show that low left seems a common issue with the PK380

Old 08-20-2017, 10:34 AM   #4

kensmith .22
So, here is an update.

I took my PK380 to my gunsmith. Even the Walther Gunsmith said to shorten the front sight. So we did just that.

But either Walther changed the produktion, or the information in the other thread was crap. The front sight is not glued to the slide. It`s a fixed front sight.

So we had to grind it down. We took it down until approx 0.5mm above the slide, so a little bit of the original sight post is left over as a surface and that way we didn`t damage the finish on the slide.
Also we grinded the little hole to match the Glock front sight in the slide

The original screw for the Glock front sight was a tick to thick and didn`t let the slide pass the barrel correctly, so we had thin out the screw head a bit.

Took it to the range today for the first test. Now I have to admin, I didn`t really have the time and effort, since we had some new shooters with us, that needed schooling and help, so I put only 10 rounds through the PK380. But the difference is absolutely there.

Recalling the problem.
See the picture. Aiming at the top black mark from 10m distance and the POI was approx. 14cm low. 7m was not much better.

Tofay, with the Glock front sight, measuring a front sight height of 4.1mm, I aimed for the bulls eye at 7m and was not far off (not looking at the left, just height).

And, one advantage now is, I can install just about any Glock front sight, if anything should change in time.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:04 PM   #5

Balogh .22
How does the gun look like now? Can you post a photo please? I like to shoot my PK380 because of the soft recoil but its sights make the aiming difficult sometimes in the basement.
Balogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:23 PM   #6

kensmith .22
sure...I'll make picture later on
Old 08-20-2017, 12:38 PM   #7

kensmith .22
Here you go

The wihite dot on the Glock fron sight is much brighter then the original one, and a bit bigger.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #8

Balogh .22
Did you attach a photo? I can't see anything but your text.
Balogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:44 PM   #9

kensmith .22
hold on.........I tried with dropbox links, but that doesn`t seem to work

I can see my links......but only when I am logged on

https://db.tt/vGOGLAe0xF
Old 08-20-2017, 03:49 PM   #10

kensmith .22
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...ENHVkRiZjV1NG8

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...HZiY3M1RGFTdEU

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PK380

Search tags for this page

news

teal pk380 handle only
walther pk380 range zero distance
Click on a term to search for related topics.