380 ammo - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PK380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #1

dkaiser76 .22
Question 380 ammo

What is everyone's favorite? Bang for buck? Total stopping power? Let's hear it!

I like MagTech!
Old 01-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
This thread ...

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/f...son-chart.html

... might be of interest to those who are just getting into shooting their PK380s and are looking for some comparisons or suggestions.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #3

dkaiser76 .22
K, thanks! I shoot quite a bit, so FMC ammo is most efficient for me. Were I to carry, then $1/round would not be a concern. That being said, I would also like to see more on the Buffalo Bore!

Old 02-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #4

jcannady .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaiser76 View Post
K, thanks! I shoot quite a bit, so FMC ammo is most efficient for me. Were I to carry, then $1/round would not be a concern. That being said, I would also like to see more on the Buffalo Bore!
I carry buffalo bore 100 gr hardcast in both my S&W PPK/S and my Interarms PPK. It is hot so you don't want to put any more through the gun than is necessary to be confident in the round, but at 298 FTE it makes the PPK as stout as a 9mm. I don't trust a .380 to expand fully and I'm not concerned about overpenetration. I want the bullet to slice and dice the BG's internals. I know that buffalo bore is the best for that among .380s.

Jim
jcannady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:37 AM   #5

bagellord .22
The problem with slicing and dicing is that it may not deliver enough energy to make them stop immediately. A hollow point will expand and deliver more energy, and discourage them from continued attack. A FMJ round may cause more bleeding and be more likely to kill them, opening you up for civil/criminal problems.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #6

jcannady .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagellord View Post
The problem with slicing and dicing is that it may not deliver enough energy to make them stop immediately. A hollow point will expand and deliver more energy, and discourage them from continued attack. A FMJ round may cause more bleeding and be more likely to kill them, opening you up for civil/criminal problems.
The .380 simply does not have the stopping power of a heavier round. Penetration that enables the bullet to destroy vital tissues is your only reliable way of stopping an attacker with a .380.

As stated on the Buffalo Bore website:

" What you see with Buffalo Bore Ammo, is truly what you get in the "real world", where it matters. You can expect 20+ inches of straight-line penetration in flesh and bone with this load. If you are worried about over penetration with this load, DON'T! You chose to carry a tiny under-powered 380 auto pistol and the trade-off is that you are now going to have to stay alive with that pistol and over penetration will be the least of your worries if you end up needing this gun to save yourself or your family."

Finally, while civil or criminal penalties may result from shooting someone it 's the chance we are taking in being armed. The only way to avoid it is to buy a Taser.

Jim

Last edited by jcannady; 02-25-2012 at 09:01 PM.
jcannady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #7

nexus .22
Buffalo Bore is a good choice but not one I would recommend for a PK380 simply because it is a "HOT" load.
When I do carry my PK380 I have it loaded with Hornady Critical Defense because it's a decently engineered round designed to expand in the velocity range the .380 develops.
I'm willing to argue that while the .380 isn't as an effective manstopper as a larger caliber it can still effectively do the job provided you understand the circumstances and conditions that you might have to use it in.
I only carry it on the hottest days when I wear the lightest clothing and when I can expect a potential perpetrator to not be wearing heavy clothing.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PK380

Search tags for this page

.380 stopping power

.380 walther penetrating power

380 ammo stopping power

380 stopping power

best 380 ammo for [[k
buffalo bore 380stopping power
buffaloe bore plus p 380 stopping power
bullet stopping power comparison
should buffalo bore be used in a walther pk380
stopping power 380
walther pk 380 stopping power
walther ppk 380 stopping power
Click on a term to search for related topics.