Bullet migrating forward in magazine - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PK380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 05:49 AM   #1

Ravenhurst .22
Bullet migrating forward in magazine

Hello, first time here. I've owned my PK380 for about 4 months now, and have put about 800 rounds through it.
I've been legally carrying my PK380 daily. I must say I really enjoy this pistol. It's very comfortable, I'm a very consistent shooter with it and I really am very satisfied with the looks and feel. I use either a Crossbreed or the Blackhawk IWB number 5 I think. Depends on what I'm wearing.
I practice my draw daily and have learned how to deal with the safety. The first time I operated it, the safety actually confused me. Cover the S and reveal the F for fire. lol... seemed simple but it was awkward coming from a Taurus PT92AF and XD40.

Lately during my practice draws, (I live in the outskirts of Las Vegas so I do practice with a loaded magazine but safely with miles of desert as my backyard) and just carrying it in general, I noticed that the first round in the magazine starts to drift forward. It gets to the point that after a few practice draws, the magazine takes more force than usual to push down the release lever and drop the mag. I can slap the bottom of the mag and it releases easily. Another problem is with the bullet sliding out of the mag (with no slide movement either) while inside the grip is that sometimes it can "fall" out of the mag and just be chilling inside the slide. Or if the round has slid forward enough, dropping the slide causes the round to fall out separately as its knocked out of place by the ramp to the chamber. I have seen this happen with both my mags. They have been loaded with Fed Hydrashoks.

I have had my fair share of FTE and FTF's. They seem to get better the more I shoot the pistol though. I've been practicing with Lawman ammo. I have noticed that through manual extractions the casings can get chewed up pretty easily with the Fed HS'. I try to keep this to a minimum by not racking the slide. I also noticed that no matter how quickly I try the manual extraction, 5 of the 8 rounds usually just fall into the gun and not clear and off to the right like they should. I've read posts in this forum for the past few hours now and saw that some folks shave the nose off the extractor. I hope this is not necessary. After I put another few hundred rounds through her I'll make a decision on if I want to modify it or send it back for updated parts. (if any)

I am not 100% sold that this is a fully reliable carry weapon, but I feel as long as I check it every now and then for that bullet migration and that I can drop the mag easily I'm okay with carrying it.

Sorry for the long post, but what does the community here think? Similar problems or should I just try with new mags?

I attached a pic of what the round looks like in the mag when its migrated forward. Like I said above it does this throughout the day, or more so during my practice draw sessions.
Pardon the basic image editing. But the big pic shows the migration forward and the little shows where it should be. Think I should just crimp the mag ends a little tighter? Or is it the steel casing of the hydrashoks?

Thanks,
Don
Ravenhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 07-06-2011, 12:32 AM   #2

eddbrowne .22
It might be that if a bullet contacts the feed ramp, then a force is added
on the mag catch legs, making mag release tougher.
I've never heard of a bullet moving forward from just handling the gun
as is draw practice, but not many folks practice draw with the mag loaded.

This same movement could lead to losing a bullet at mag release, as you indicate.
Even though it happens with both mags, the production run could have had retaining
lips that are set too wide. The lower pic seems to show the round sitting high.
(those cases look like steel, but likely it's brass)

On that separate issue, if you slowly extract an empty case, the extractor
should hold the case until the ejector pries it out.
If the extractor does not hold the case, then problems during firing are more likely.
The most common problem is that the extractor is too far from the case,
and the common solution is shaving the hidden stop-nose on the extractor.
eddbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:27 AM   #3

Ravenhurst .22
I have done the slow extract and it works every time. Just never really liked how it won't extract a round like every other gun I've owned. They just kinda fall out of the breech when extracted; but only manually. Firing they extract as should be expected.
Thank you for the reply.

I failed to mention earlier that even while carrying it in my crossbreed, the migration of the round is significant. It's almost 3/4's of the way forward. I'm not doing gymnastics while wearing it either. I noticed the lot numbers on the mags were similar. (276 71 39 - A) I might try ordering a couple more to see if the problem persists.

Last edited by Ravenhurst; 07-07-2011 at 11:27 AM.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #4

eddbrowne .22
It might be useful to provide measurements of the distance between the mag
retaining lips near the middle and near the front (where the round slips from the lips).
What counts is the inside measurement.

My PK's in my ride, but I'll post later on those dimensions.
I know you have brass casings, but one reason I never buy steel casings is that
they can potentially wear gun parts. Steel bullets usually have copper cladding.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #5

eddbrowne .22
Using inside calipers, the inner dimension at the narrow end (front)
of the mag retaining lips is 7.9mm.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:01 AM   #6

1917-1911M .38
Several of my pistols do the same thing. Not even Walther makes. When the magazine is inserted and locked the top round, and the entire stack is compressed and the top round is no longer touching the mag lips. It is pressed against the bottom of the breech. I make it a habit to reset the top round fully rear in the mag every day in my carry. I expect simply the movement of drawing and pointing is causing enough momentum to move the top round. Fed HS are especially bad about this. Why???? Hard and polished case?????? M1911
1917-1911M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:15 AM   #7

Ravenhurst .22
I too have got into the habit of checking at least twice a day. My XD40 never did that, so this is a new concept.

I have not yet measured the magazine lip yet. I don't have a caliper unfortunately but my ruler should suffice. I just need to take a moment to do that.

Maybe I'll give the Gold Dot's a shot and see if those cases slide forward.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:34 AM   #8

eddbrowne .22
1911 is right about the main problem; the mag lips don't figure into
the movement forward of the top round pressing against the feed lug.
(I wonder if a round has been chambered in these situations.)

But the mag lips could figure into the second issue ...
"Another problem is ... dropping the [mag] causes the round to fall out
separately as its knocked out of place by the [feed] ramp ..."

The top round does not have a full mag front to control forward position,
so if it snags on the feed ramp, wider mag lips are more likely to
let the round strip out of the mag.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:32 PM   #9

lance_steven .22
I've been having the same problems with mine as well Ravenhurst. Both instances with the round not extracting and the round moving forward when clip is inserted. Rarely can I go through a whole magazine without it messing up when cycling manually. Have you been experiencing the same problem?
lance_steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #10

lance_steven .22
Also I just bought the Federal Hydroshocks, but I have the same result with the Federal full metal jackets, Blazer full metal jackets, Tulammo full metal jackets, and Speer hollow points.
lance_steven is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PK380

Search tags for this page
50 ae bullet movi g forwrd in case when cyclung slide
bullet in top of mag shifting forward
bullet migrates forward in magazine
bullet moves forward in magazine
bullet slides forward in magazine

bullets moving forward in magazine

pk380 round falls out when removing mag

rounds in magazine moving forward

rounds moving forward in 1911 magazine

rounds slide forward in mag while carrying
second round in mazine falls out when ejecting magazine

walther pk380 276 71 39

Click on a term to search for related topics.