PK380 dosn`t like grease for lubing - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PK380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2019, 10:20 AM   #1

kensmith .22
PK380 dosn`t like grease for lubing

Just had a strange encounter on my PK380.

Prepping my little shooter for the next range trip on sunday and competition next saturday, I used special PTFE grease, that is designed specially for polymer frames and steel in combinaton.

Itīs made by the german company SchleTek.

It works perfectly fine on my Glock (sorry) and my CZ P07 Kadet (sorry again).
But even though the tolenaces on the PK380 are not the tightest in the world, the slide would stick in the fully open position (racked) and would only go back into battery when lightly tapped.

So off with the grease an on with PTFE/Ceramic lube (same brand) and it racks just normal again.

Has anybody had any issues with grease on a PK380, or don`t you use grease?
kensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 05-01-2019, 10:57 AM   #2
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Doubtful if the grease had anything to do with it. More likely something else was going on, and by taking it apart, cleaning it and reassembling it, you cured --at least temporarily--whatever the problem was.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:06 PM   #3

DukeIronHand .22
Does seem odd that grease alone would hold the slide in a open position.
In any case I just use LP/CLP for all gun stuff. Do have ceramic grease and, while I have thought of using it on guns, I didn’t see an advantage during a typical range session.
Good luck!

Old 05-01-2019, 04:16 PM   #4

1942bull .22
I do not use and have never used grease on anything. In the Corps I started with an M1, then an M14, then a M1922, and finally a M16. We lubed everything with a light coat of oil. Weapons were cleaned regularly so the oil coating was always good. I am far from an expert but I have never seen a manufacturer suggest more than a light coat of oil to lube the weapon. What am I missing?

Memberships:
Gun Owners of America
Second Amendment Foundation
Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime
1942bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:30 PM   #5

Wildtoad .22
Most of the time, you’re only wanting the parts to be “slippery” so a very light oiling is required, dry lube works well too.

Walther (2009) PPK .380, (2013) PPK/S .22, Ruger (2017) LCP .380, Henry (2017) Mares Leg .22
Wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:19 PM   #6

DukeIronHand .22
Anybody use dry lube on guns?
Old 05-02-2019, 12:53 PM   #7

kensmith .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
Doubtful if the grease had anything to do with it. More likely something else was going on, and by taking it apart, cleaning it and reassembling it, you cured --at least temporarily--whatever the problem was.

M
I had the psitol appart and together again twice after reassembly, with the same result, untill I removed the grease und applied oil.

So yes, I think it is the grease.....
Old 05-02-2019, 09:26 PM   #8

1942bull .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeIronHand View Post
Anybody use dry lube on guns?
I use it isn the winter if I am going to be outdoors for long periods of time. It will not congeal like oil can in extreme cold. However, I mostly use oil because it is easy to apply rather than spray, and it costs much less.

Memberships:
Gun Owners of America
Second Amendment Foundation
Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime
1942bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:03 AM   #9

DukeIronHand .22
kensmith,
Have to say I find your grease experience very interesting.
To what do you attribute the function issues when using the grease?
DukeIronHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:33 AM   #10

kensmith .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeIronHand View Post
kensmith,
Have to say I find your grease experience very interesting.
To what do you attribute the function issues when using the grease?
I am not 100% sure.

Looking how the action on the PK380 works, when the slide is racked, the hammer applies pressure on the bottom of the frame. That pushes the slide upward a bit, I guess.

Now grease is thicker then oil, lcp or what ever liquid lubrication substance. The tolerances are reduced, whar makes grease very often a problem on high performance competition pistols.
It seems, that the grease I used, even if I don`t apply very much, is thick enough to reduce the tolerances so much, that the silde hangs up in the open position.

When I pulled down on the hammer, to release pressure on the slide, it wnt back into battery.

After I then removed the grease and applied oil, the action worked fine again.

I have another type grease, ceramic based grease, that I will give a try, after next weeks competitions. Don`t want to screw up my PK380 before the competition.....;-)

One thing in addition.

One of the reasons I use grease on some of my pistols is, if it`s a good grease, ceramic and PTFE based, grease will bind less debries and crudd then oil will.
I run the ceramic grease on my Glock 17 (sorry) on the front half of the barell and it just sticks there, where oil will vanish after a short time.
I very often also mix different kinds of lube depending on the surface area to be lubed and depending on the firearm I am lubing.

Specially on polymer frames, greasecan help reducing wear on the frame, since oil will vanish fairly quick, depending on the oil used.

What I don`t use for lubing is Ballistol. For cleaning it`s ok, but I don`t lube with it.

Last edited by kensmith; 05-05-2019 at 03:38 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PK380