Not a lot of love for the PK380? - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PK380

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2019, 04:21 AM   #1

DukeIronHand .22
Not a lot of love for the PK380?

While almost all the online reviews for this gun are positive, for what that’s worth (only real complaint being about the “no de-cock safety), is there a lack of love for this gun?
I like Walther pistols (have 4) and I like the .380 as a caliber so with the PK being the only Walther .380 available it seemed a natural enough purchase. Seems I read somewhere that the CCP is coming out in .380 but that gun gets even less love then the PK.
Anyway so far I like the PK just fine. About 130 rounds thru it with only two function issues (FTF x2) in the first 10 rounds but the rest were flawless.

So is the lack of apparent love for this gun about the gun itself or more about the caliber?
DukeIronHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 04-12-2019, 06:34 PM   #2

Wildtoad .22
I’m not a big fan of the .380 only because it more expensive than 9mm. Other than that is fine. I’ve got two pistols in .380.

Walther (2009) PPK .380, (2013) PPK/S .22, Ruger (2017) LCP .380, Henry (2017) Mares Leg .22
Wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:07 AM   #3

Redcat94 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeIronHand View Post
So is the lack of apparent love for this gun about the gun itself or more about the caliber?
I think it's mainly because it's made by Umarex. They don't have a great reputation.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:28 AM   #4

DukeIronHand .22
I have heard that before on here reference Umarex.
As a new collector of Walthers is there a list somewhere of what is made by them?
Old 04-13-2019, 07:05 AM   #5

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildtoad View Post
I’m not a big fan of the .380 only because it more expensive than 9mm.......

Good point, I thought the same when I saw the "Not a lot of love for the PK380" title.

When a "gun curious" person talks to me about purchasing their first firearm (for home and/or self defense), and the .380 caliber come up, my first response is "due to .380 cost, make sure you first shoot, and rule out 9mm".
DeutschlandUberAlles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:10 AM   #6

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Quote:
As a new collector of Walthers is there a list somewhere of what is made by them?

What are you looking to collect? Modern poly or Classic metal.
DeutschlandUberAlles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:59 AM   #7

Redcat94 .22
Quote:
Umarex mainly builds .22LR versions of centerfire pistols and rifles for other manufacturer's under license from them. Here's a few that I know of :

"Walther" P22 and PPK/S in .22LR, PK380, CCP
"Colt" several 1911 and AR15/M16/M4 variants in .22LR
"HK" MP5 and HK416 in .22LR
"Beretta" 92A1 .22LR conversion kit
Uzi in .22LR

I've got the P22, 1911 Government Model, and the Beretta 92 conversion kit. The 1911 is decent (better than the Kimber .22LR) and the Beretta conversion is actually really good. I seem to have had better luck with Umarex products than most around here. I don't consider them to be junk and I'd like to pick up a CCP 9mm this year.
DukeIronHand likes this.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:14 AM   #8

DukeIronHand .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeutschlandUberAlles View Post
What are you looking to collect? Modern poly or Classic metal.
Guess collect makes it sound more fancy then I meant.
Sold off a bunch of guns (all different calibers and makers - many historical) I accumulated over the years and am going to stick with one maker and just a few calibers. Normally a Sig guy (from my job) but decided to blaze my own trail in my personal life and Walther was chosen.

To answer your question directly so far I just have 4 brand new Walthers (PPQ, PPS, PK380, and .22 PPK/S) and am waiting for the new PPK/S. My “serious collecting” days are over and from now on am just going to buy what I can shoot.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:54 PM   #9

Redcat94 .22
Quote:
so far I just have 4 brand new Walthers (PPQ, PPS, PK380, and .22 PPK/S) and am waiting for the new PPK/S. My “serious collecting” days are over and from now on am just going to buy what I can shoot.
It sounds like you need a P38 in 9mm and a PP/PPK in .32ACP. Those are two of my favorite to shoot.
DukeIronHand likes this.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:07 AM   #10

olstyn .22
The PK380 doesn't get a lot of love for several reasons. .380 doesn't really measure up to 9mm in effectiveness, so the caliber is a mark against it. The PK380 is also missing some features which are pretty close to standard on modern pistols - there is no external slide stop and no decocker. There have been numerous and varied reliability issues reported both here and elsewhere, and there is at least some tendency for it to be finicky about ammo. Finally, while it's accurate and pleasant to shoot (being a locked breech design where most other .380s are straight blowback means significantly less perceived recoil), it has a cheaper, less substantial feel than "real" Walther guns like the P99, PPQ, etc.
DukeIronHand likes this.
olstyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PK380