WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PK380

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2019, 06:57 AM   #11

kensmith .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcat94 View Post
I think it's mainly because it's made by Umarex. They don't have a great reputation.
Well that is not really true.

You have to see, what the main production of Umarex is. Airguns, Airsoft, Blank firing pistols.

As the PK380 and the P22 share the same frame with their vise versa on the blank firing side, Walther put production to of the P22 and PK380 to Umarex.

The reputation on the other products Umarex produces is fine.
DukeIronHand likes this.
kensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 04-17-2019, 06:41 PM   #12

ballayre .22
I bought my wife a p22 and a pk380. she practices with the p22 and cheap .22 ammo and builds muscle memory that carries directly over to the pk380. She has had the pk380 since they first came out, with hundreds of rounds through it and no problem at all. I originally bought her a p99c, but she did not like the weight or recoil and would not carry it. The pk380 is like an amex card "she never leaves home without it". Only complaint we would have is like others have mentioned, the 380 ammo is about twice the price of 9 mm.
Redcat94 and DukeIronHand like this.
ballayre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:30 PM   #13

olstyn .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballayre View Post
She has had the pk380 since they first came out, with hundreds of rounds through it and no problem at all.
That is lucky. I wish I could say my personal experience matched it, but my wife's PK380 had to make a trip to Walther Arms due to repeated malfunctions. It got a new extractor and associated pin & spring while there. It seems ok now, but it also seemed ok for the first several hundred rounds and only then started having problems, so long-term, I guess we'll see...? She doesn't shoot anywhere near as much as I do, so it may take a while for problems to surface again if they do.

It's really too bad the PK380 is not made to the same quality standards as the P99, PPQ, and PPS lines; I think it could be a really nice gun if it was, even given that .380 kind of sucks compared to 9x19.
olstyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2019, 09:48 PM   #14

DukeIronHand .22
I like the .380 as a caliber. Yes I get the 9 is “better” in almost every category but I have this weird thing for a .380.
In my month old PK I have fired about 130 rounds and had two FTF (slide didn’t close x2) in the very first 10 rounds but the remaining 120 (100 of which were Federal) the gun performed perfectly.
Also I’ll be labeled as a crazy man but I am hoping to see the CCP come out in .380
Old 04-28-2019, 09:49 PM   #15
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by olstyn View Post

It's really too bad the PK380 is not made to the same quality standards as the P99, PPQ, and PPS lines; I think it could be a really nice gun if it was...
To refresh my memory, I looked at one again at the Walther booth at the NRA convention. It reminded me of an impression that I had forgotten: that it's a P22 on steroids, with everything that implies.

In other words, a Taurus with a German nameplate.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:23 AM   #16

DukeIronHand .22
As an owner of multiple Walther pistols, and serial cleaner and parts examiner of said guns, the PK380 which I, perhaps oddly, really like definitely shows the signs of “not being made by Walther.”
Externally the gun is fine but internally the different lineage (Umarex) certainly shows internally on the slide area.

The main offender here (quality-wise) was the barrel and chamber area. I have quite a bit of firearms experience and never recall all the heat treatment marks on any gun. Weird but okay I suppose. Perhaps all have that but it just shows in the unfinished(?) metal.
The chamber area though was poorly and roughly machined with clear “divots” (like a drunken attempt with a grinder) around the lip of the chamber and the feed ramp was hardly the usual polished Walther product. Ended up taking it to a local gunsmith to have it all smooth and polished up.

With all that said, as mentioned above, except for the two “fail to feed” (slide not closing all the way) in the very first 10 rounds the PK went through the next 120 rounds with no problems so while it may not be pretty it apparently works just fine. It just doesn’t have the fine “Swiss watch” looks and feel of my other Walthers.
Have not had a chance to shoot it since the barrel job but that will only improve things in the future. Still like it though and carry it often.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:34 AM   #17

kensmith .22
So, talking about not getting enough Love for the PK380, I would like to break some ice for that nice little shooter.

Shot a competition again with mine last weekend. Came in with 278 from 300 possible points/rings on the competition Police Pistol 4 (Pocket Gun). The competition is shot at multiple distances starting at 15m with 2 time 5 shots in 100 seconds including a relaod. Going further to 10m with 2 times five intervals of 2 seconds each with one shot per interval and then 7m with 2 times three intervals of 2 seconds with 2 shots max.

In training the day before I came with almost the same result, 10 points more then at the competiton (it was raining buckets at the competition).

Here is a picture of the result from training and I find the PK380 is pretty damn accurate for what it cost

Oh, any never mind the brown stickers. That was my Glock....damn I hate that thing
DukeIronHand likes this.

Last edited by kensmith; 05-18-2019 at 04:37 AM.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:18 PM   #18

DukeIronHand .22
Nice shooting!
Just shot some Sig JHP thru my post-gunsmith chamber and feed ramp with zero problems.
Switching over to Federal HST JHP so I’m shooting it up.
Plan on breaking out the bench and accuracy testing all my Walthers.
kensmith likes this.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:50 PM   #19

kensmith .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeIronHand View Post
Nice shooting!
Just shot some Sig JHP thru my post-gunsmith chamber and feed ramp with zero problems.
Switching over to Federal HST JHP so Iím shooting it up.
Plan on breaking out the bench and accuracy testing all my Walthers.
sounds like a Plan

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PK380

Search tags for this page

walther p99 umarex probleme

Click on a term to search for related topics.