Interarms PPK Locking up - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PK380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2019, 11:49 AM   #1

Loutenant .22
Interarms PPK Locking up

I recently acquired an Interarms PPK .380. The slide was locked up and the trigger wouldn't function. I discovered the hammer block spring has slipped between the hammer block assembly and frame.

I ordered a new spring kit from Wolf and installed the new spring . The hammer block retaining pin was also broken so I was able to locate a used one.

I installed the new parts and everything functioned correctly while working the slide, trigger and hammer several times. Then it locked up again. I removed the grips and sure enough, the spring has slipped past the block again and it's locked up.

Anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks,
Lou
Loutenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 03-15-2019, 03:53 PM   #2
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutenant View Post

Anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?

Please describe the order in which you installed those parts.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:08 PM   #3

Loutenant .22
I placed the hammer block spring onto the post on the block, slid the block into the slot with the hammer cocked so the block would be a the lowest position and then slid the retaining post onto the spring and slid it into the recessed slot.
I took it apart again and reinstalled it. I have worked the slide several times. Cocked and released the trigger and worked the trigger double action several times. This time it seems to be holding, but I'm not very confident the spring won't come off of the hammer block again....

Old 03-15-2019, 06:01 PM   #4
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
I placed the hammer block spring onto the post on the block, slid the block into the slot with the hammer cocked so the block would be a the lowest position and then slid the retaining post onto the spring and slid it into the recessed slot.
With the hammer cocked, the block will be at its highest position, not its lowest. In that position there's not much room to get the mushroom-shaped retainer into its proper place. I'm not quite sure what you are doing, but my strong suspicion is that you are not depressing the retainer deeply enough into the frame --then pivoting it fully over the left--to correctly engage the ring on the head of the retainer into its semi-circular slot just below the lip of its hole.

When correctly installed, the block will go up and down in the right-hand hole, and the retainer will remain stationary in its hole fully to the left, with a quarter-moon gap between them.

Try assembling it with the hammer uncocked.

M
Old 03-15-2019, 06:23 PM   #5

Loutenant .22
I'm sorry, the hammer was not cocked. The block was at the lowest position. The problem wasn't installing it . the problem was the spring would come off of the block after working the action?
Old 03-15-2019, 06:47 PM   #6
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
I'm sorry, the hammer was not cocked. The block was at the lowest position. The problem wasn't installing it . the problem was the spring would come off of the block after working the action?
Possibly you do not have the right spring, or a broken hammer block, or a damaged retainer recess in the frame, or something else is haywire.

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/...ck-spring.html

I suggest it's Gunsmith Time.

m&mgunsmithing.com

M (no relation)

Last edited by MGMike; 03-15-2019 at 06:50 PM. Reason: m&m
Old 03-15-2019, 07:42 PM   #7

Loutenant .22
Thank you for the response. It appears to be working reliably now. I will work the action several more times before I take it to the range. Maybe something is amiss somewhere else as you mentioned, and I'll have to send it to a qualified Walther smith.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PK380