Decocker Question - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #1

.40 Shooter .22
Decocker Question

Just bought a .40 p99as, Is there anyway the gun will accidentally fire when decocker is pushed. The reason why I ask is decocking makes a loud click.
.40 Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 03-23-2008, 01:50 PM   #2

British Agent .22
No, the trigger itself must be engaged for the striker and the firing pin to come in contact with each other.
British Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:08 PM   #3
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by .40 Shooter View Post
Just bought a .40 p99as, Is there anyway the gun will accidentally fire when decocker is pushed. The reason why I ask is decocking makes a loud click.
Well, it's not SUPPOSED to.

But if it did, there are probably a half-dozen different potential causes, any of which would explain such a malfunction.

The correct answer is "YES, there is always SOME way. That's why one does not touch any control on a loaded firearm without pointing the muzzle in a safe direction. And that includes engaging the manual safety on guns so equipped.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #4

jimmythebrain .22
The gun has a firing pin block that prevents full forward movement of the striker. That firing pin block gets moved out of the way when the trigger is pulled.

When the decocker is used, the spring tension is released and the firing pin slams forward into the firing pin safety. That causes the loud click sound. Everything should be perfectly fine unless you have modified your striker mechanism/assembly.

As always, following the firearm safety rules, the muzzle should be pointed in a safe direction when working the decocker.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythebrain View Post
...Everything should be perfectly fine unless you have modified your striker mechanism/assembly.

As always, following the firearm safety rules, the muzzle should be pointed in a safe direction when working the decocker.
If, absent a modification, "everything should be perfectly fine", why bother to point the muzzle in a safe direction? Is that just some kind of religious dogma?

Maybe everything "should" be fine, but when ADs occur, "everything" isn't perfectly fine. There are a LOT of things that can go wrong in addition to operator error, and modification is only ONE of them.

If you want an eye-opener, detail strip the slide and observe how everything depends on the precise functioning of tiny springs and the interaction of tiny, close-fitting contact surfaces. What happens if the tiny little firing pin block spring kinks, or breaks, or the block becomes jammed by firing residue? Then detail strip the fire control package in the frame. What happens if a piece breaks off one of those little stampings?

Things are not so simple as they seem...

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:43 PM   #6

British Agent .22
Has anyone been in, or heard of a scenario in which a P99 has discharged by pressing the decocker with a round in the chamber?

I'm not saying its impossible or anything, but I'm sure the probability is pretty low.
British Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:50 AM   #7

jimmythebrain .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
If, absent a modification, "everything should be perfectly fine", why bother to point the muzzle in a safe direction? Is that just some kind of religious dogma?

Maybe everything "should" be fine, but when ADs occur, "everything" isn't perfectly fine. There are a LOT of things that can go wrong in addition to operator error, and modification is only ONE of them.

If you want an eye-opener, detail strip the slide and observe how everything depends on the precise functioning of tiny springs and the interaction of tiny, close-fitting contact surfaces. What happens if the tiny little firing pin block spring kinks, or breaks, or the block becomes jammed by firing residue? Then detail strip the fire control package in the frame. What happens if a piece breaks off one of those little stampings?

Things are not so simple as they seem...

M
I think that what 40 shooter wanted to know is whether everything was OK with his Walther P99. That is the direction I was going when I constructed my response.

If anyone has problems with the "safe gun" rules, then please do not take it out on me. These rules will prevent accidental discharges (in properly working firearms) if followed 100%.

Also, if the muzzle is always pointed in a safe direction when a person is not intended to shoot something...then accidental discharges would just be a bang and a surprise, instead of a potential tragedy/injury.

It is the hostile rantings of posters that drives people away from posting useful information on forums.

Have a nice evening.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

Search tags for this page

does decocking damage firing pin p99

will decocking p99 damage the firing pin

Click on a term to search for related topics.